Dining Experience

My fort experience with Royal Caribbean and last time I use this group for travel. Recently boarders Symphony of the Seas. I requested a cruise with FOOD QUALITY as a priority. I was NOT informed by my travel agency Vacations to Go or Royal Caribbean of the existence of an “upscale food package” that had to be purchased BEFORE boarding the ship. I was not limited by a budget. The first night’s dinner was extremely disappointing and the ship APP which was inaccessible prior to boarding the ship showed restaurants that were additional $. Guest Services informed me that the food package was only attainable prior to boarding the ship using the Royal Caribbean website. I was never informed of such and was then refused the ability to obtain it. We couldn’t wait to go ashore to have a decent meal. The food available onboard was less than mediocre and day 2 of our vacation we were wishing that we were home. The absolute worst vacation of my lifetime. I am a senior citizen with many travel experiences to give you an idea of just how bad the Royal Caribbean experience was for all of us

• Like 1

@Frank Barbaro That's so frustrating! As a first-time cruise with Royal Caribbean Line, it's a shame the food quality wasn't to your liking. What it sounds like to me is that Vacations to Go is not a good company. I have had great success booking directly with the cruise line. The RCL customer service team is so helpful and more knowledgeable on dining options onboard. It doesn't seem like you would consider cruising with the line again, but if you had pre-purchased better dining options, you would have had a much better experience. There are many great dining options onboard, and since your budget allowed, you could have tapped into those. What other cruise lines have you cruised with an enjoyed?

@Jim Lamb I agree that usually, the food passes at least as mediocre. For someone who is used to fine dining, I understand how RCL's MDR experience may not exceed expectations, but it's typically good enough. 

@Frank Barbaro I'm curious what you had onboard, and why it was such a poor dining experience. I have encountered bad meals in the MDR, but the cruise lines are usually very good about sending another option out that you may enjoy more. I hope you enjoyed everything else on the RCL cruise! It really is a fabulous line. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/everything-need-know-royal-caribbeans-dining-room-menu/17774

image.png.7e65c7bb8f9a9ffab66af0df75660ae0.png

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

@LukeJ I have felt the same. RCL does a pretty good job. It's hard for me to believe that the food quality was bad enough to ruin someone's entire cruise experience. The MDR isn't five-star quality, but there are other dining options onboard that are worthwhile and better quality. The MDR and buffets onboard are good enough for me, and they offer a wide variety. If you want better quality, go for the specialty experiences onboard! 

Mostly, you need to understand what type of place you are going to. If it's mass produced, and free for you to go up as many times as you want, then honestly, do not expect fine dining. I find the foods onboard as a buffet is edible and it is what it is. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ That's right. You can't expect five-star quality if you aren't paying five-star prices. Unrealistic expectations aren't good for anyone. It just becomes a disappointment to every party involved. The buffet is all about convenience for me. I don't expect top-quality when I get warm food whenever I choose. For a better quality experience, I choose the MDR, but you have to dine during the available hours. That's where the buffets become handy, especially when you are out by the pool all day.

@LukeJ I know what you're saying, we have all been there. Go into a chain restaurant and the food will be lovely, however again it will be mass produced and more likely microwave and ready to go. But the cost of that will reflect that type of food as it will be a lot cheaper as if made fresh.

• Like 1

@LukeJ You are spot on! It's alright to have high standards, but if you want your expectations to be met, don't set unrealistic ones. There are incredible cruise lines that offer over-the-top cruise options. RCL's MDR is not one of those spots. The line does have very nice specialty restaurants onboard, and you can pay for those extras to get a superior experience. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around how the inferior dining experience ruined the entire cruise. Many guests become ill on a cruise, and that really ruins the fun, not a below-average meal. 

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

I'm always amused when folks pop in here throwing bombs and never answer questions from the community.  Due Diligence, a simple concept that requires responsibility. There is so much information available to prepare for such a specific request. Common sense alone would suggest the cruise company's need to know before sailing. With that said, I'm not a fan of RCL dining either but that's more about a country boy trying to eat in a cruise ship dining room. 

• Like 1

@Seaawgs It's a bit frustrating actually! I understand if you are new and want to share a scarring experience, but I also expect a reply to the conversation started. It would be nice to hear more about the RCL cruise experience beyond the beginning segment. It's so nice to hear different guests' perspectives, but a little more interaction from the post-creator would be appreciated! 

Your perspective on RCL's dining options completely differs from that of @Frank Barbaro! I would be intrigued to learn more about how a "country boy" enjoys cruising as much as you do! The wild and free lifestyle doesn't always appreciate the tight quarters of sailing the seas on a commercialized cruise ship. Thanks for contributing to this post.

I to am puzzled by your experience but also your lack of preparation or research into what you had and had not purchased. I just came off the Grandeur. And made an offhand comment to the Assistant Waiter that I loved Indian food but would not eat it because it was made for the masses or Americans which has no spice.  He brought me an exquisite variety over the next nine days of wonderful Indian curry. Many times it is just a case of letting your wants or needs be known. Oh well your loss I will be in the main dining room

• Thanks 1

@Runningdog I love this comment. It's all about perception and disposition. If you are frustrated and discontent with everything, there is nothing the cruise line staff can do to make your situation better. You have to be open to change and try new things. It's better to do your research ahead of time to be fully informed. You can't blame others for your lack of knowledge. It's best to come on a cruise ship with an open mind. You may discover there is more to life than being nitpicky and hyper-critical with experiences. Your example is a great one! The cruise ship staff is willing to go above and beyond for guests, and if you are open-minded, you will be able to appreciate those little gestures that make your vacation exquisite. 

@FJB You never know! Hopefully @Frank Barbaro will get back to us and give us a bit more information. It's a shame that the cruise experience was so awful that RCL wouldn't be an option in the future. RCL is so popular for a reason; it's almost foolproof. The line caters to all types of people! It's known to be very well-rounded.