NCL upgrade disappointment

We were scheduled for NCL Getaway on 1/28/22. My mom's health and current covid issues required us to cancel our trip. We submitted an upgrade before omicron started getting bad. The upgrade we submitted was approved and they charged our card and refuse to reimburse, only give peace of mind credit. We plan on going later in the year. They refuse to give us back the upgrade amount and do not have a live number to call for support/special circumstances. I have emailed and also submitted ticket to guest relations (eta is 30 days). Needless to say, this will be our last norwegian cruise if they won't help us. Any suggestions on who we can contact?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry to know about your case with NCL. It’s a very very bad business decision for NCL AND bad customer service.

We have had to cancel our 2 sailings with NCL this January. Still have not received any settlement from NCL. We have sailed many times with the company 

But no more sailings with NCL.

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 2:41 PM, LWT said:

I can't even find a place to do nor have I been offered a chance to bid. Worse site I have ever dealt with of all cruise lines. This is my 

second cruise with NCL and maybe my last.

Not everyone gets upgrade opportunities.  It depends on room availability, among other things.  If you're "in the group" ( not sure how they decide who receives the offers) you receive an email inviting you to bid.   I have taken many cruises with NCL and am pretty high up in the loyalty program.  I have received offers, but have never bid in NCL. 

I have booked inside, Oceanview, balcony, and club balcony. I book based on my finances, and sometimes the itinerary. For our long and b2b2b cruises, it's frequently inside, or I wouldn't be able to go.  I have received upgrade offers, but choose to stay put, because I choose my stateroom carefully.  I'd rather have an inside room under the hair salon than a balcony under the buffet (or worse- fitness center) I'm just darn happy to be cruising, and NCL is my happy place.

• Like 2

I'd do the same.  I carefully choose my cabin, inside cabin is fine with me.  I always choose the middle, away from the elevators, and not directly below any public spaces.  I would take the upgrade if I know where they will be placing me.

• 1 month later...

We have had great success using the bidding program.. we ended up with an inside family cabin, that was like an apartment- 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, one with a tub as well as a living room, 3 tv’s all with movie channels for the grand total of $300..  if you have an inside cabin, you can only bid within your grade, that is to say that you can’t bid on a balcony… it’s worth a shot

• Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

@rek  That's a good tip. Have you had any issues with Norwegian Cruise Line's bidding system in the past? Usually Norwegian Cruise Line's bidding program can be very lucrative and secure. 

@Nadine Downie Were you able to resolve this issue? I'd imagine the cruise line has resolved the issue by now. Were you properly compensated and refunded for the mishappening? Your cruise took place very close to this occurrence. https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-cancels-cruise-last-minute-due-to-covid-related-circumstances/63189 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/13/2022 at 3:09 PM, 14Canadian said:

Sorry to know about your case with NCL. It’s a very very bad business decision for NCL AND bad customer service.

We have had to cancel our 2 sailings with NCL this January. Still have not received any settlement from NCL. We have sailed many times with the company 

But no more sailings with NCL.

Did you not have travel Insurance? I cancelled 3 cruises in the last 3 years close to last minute and was re-imbursed 100% within 2 weeks. Allianz travel insurance.

• Thanks 1

@Bobh002 That's awesome! Is that an alternate, outside insurance company, or is Allianz travel insurance the primary company recommended for travel insurance for NCL? Do you remember how much additional you paid? I recommend every cruise guest spend the extra money to ensure their itinerary is wholly taken care of. Lately, I'm seeing more and more itinerary changes and cancellations with all cruise lines. I think it has something to do with the recovery of money post-shutdown, such as cutbacks, and becoming more sustainable/environmentally friendly.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 2:23 AM, Richie said:

We have had great success using the bidding program.. we ended up with an inside family cabin, that was like an apartment- 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, one with a tub as well as a living room, 3 tv’s all with movie channels for the grand total of $300..  if you have an inside cabin, you can only bid within your grade, that is to say that you can’t bid on a balcony… it’s worth a shot

That's not true. We always book I side and bid on balcony and have been successful on the last 4.

• Like 2

@Clive73 I haven't experienced Norwegian Cruise Line's bidding program before, but I'm curious how often/common it is to have the bidding option. Now that the cruise line is sailing at such a full capacity, I bet it's less common nowadays to receive notifications to bid on an alternate stateroom option. Does NCL's bidding program come out to be pretty well-priced? How early in advance do you typically receive the bidding email notification?

• 3 weeks later...

First tip I think is to always always have travel insurance first and foremost. The bidding programme does sound like something I would up for doing, however if there is a chance it won't favour you, would it be worth doing for a chance to spoil your holidays.