NCL - Good Riddance

I received a text while I was sleeping that my cruise to Bermuda out of NY was changed.  It told me to read the e-mail (which i did not rceive) or call their number.  I called and got a Customer Service representative in the UK.  She was very patient and kind, she read me the e-mail about the changes.

While i never received an email about the changes,in the past few days i received multiple e-mails abour watching the safety video and documents needed to embark to Bermuda.  Not one e-mail about NCL monitoring the hurricane or possible changes to my itinerary.  No, they wait until people are sleeping only to wake up to bad news.

I have been cruising with NCL since 2001 with close to 30 cruises.  After my cruise last March i was on the fence about going out with them again because of the terrible experience I had with that cruise,  I gave them another chance and now I am done with them.  Never again on NCL.

I know NCL does not care that I am heartbroken and disgusted with how this has turned out.  I understand the weather amd hurricane protocols but to not have any advanced comunicaton regarding possible itinerary changes led me to believe that the cruise would go as planned.  

Good Riddance 

Well, I am pretty sure NCL does not want to make changes on their itineraries either.  I am sorry, but the hurricane is a natural phenomenon, there is nothing that can be done about it, but for people to adjust and make necessary and safe changes.  NCL will need to make emergency changes as they see fit.  I would also check my Spam folder for emails from NCL.  I think you will find numerous emails in that folder hat your inbox is filtering out.

I'm going on an NCL cruise in the next several weeks, heading north to Canada. I have been watching weather reports, even though I will not be cruising during Hurricane Fiona. I'm concerned about the impact of the storm on the places that I've been planning to visit, and the people who live there. Luckily, there is enough ability to track a hurricane that the weather service can track it and people can prepare for it. I would hope that cruise companies would be concerned about our safety in the event of any weather issues.  I would also hope that passengers would check weather reports before the cruise, even if it's just to make sure that they're packing the right clothing for the predicted weather.

Edited by Cruisin Susie
clarify a point
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be concerned so much about safety during storms.  These cruise ships are massive in that they can weather storms.  They are also generally stirred away from where the direction of the storm is.  Depending on how huge the impact to the small island nations, rehabilitation is to be expected in the coming weeks and maybe months.  This will generally impact the livelihood of the people living there.

I too am scheduled to cruise to Canada on Norwegian in October.  Admit to being panicked the scheduled itinerary will be changed.  This cruise was chosen specifically to see places on our bucket list, not just to “cruise”.  We don’t want to go other places!.  From whatI can discern Norwegian will not be forthcoming in refunds.   I know NCL cannot control weather but they can work harder to keep future travelers.

The same thing happened to us. 10 hours notice! I guess NCL doesn’t have the ability to track the weather forecast, maybe they can add the weather channel to their tv line up.

Nice try Deanne on check your spam folder, nothing like blaming the customers for your failure to communicate.

Your choice of ports, crappy food is beyond poor, it borders on bait and switch.

And when you talk to your bosses at NCL, tell them they need to splurge on a pocket thermometer for their ‘chef’ before someone gets food poisoning.

NCL- never again, not even for free. Customers beware.

• Like 1

@Pete the Greek Ugh, sorry buddy, I don't work for NCL.  I also check my spam.  It has become a habit just in case any important email goes in there.  It is basically in the contract that cruise lines, may, at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing or port of call.  I am sorry, it is there in the contract.  Also, It is a hurricane.  It is hurricane season.  During this time we should be a little flexible about changes.  I always purchase insurance with my cruise.  Not getting one is an expensive mistake during this season.

The truth is that NCL has gone considerably downhill.  Lots of cuts in room amenities and we had to ask for everything including our discount on the one excursion we took in Saint John. We had to ask for our $50.00 port excursion credit and our Latitiudes discount of 15%. (A total of $42.00)  I asked my cabin steward for a tube of lotion that used to be in the room upon arrival and he told me it was for Haven passengers only.  We spent nearly $2000.00 total on this trip and I could not get a .10 cent tube of lotion.  

In prior days, the NCL website had a weather alert message posted on the the top of the page where information woulf be posted.  It generally said that NCL was monitoring conditions and possible itinerary changes.  But no more - that is gone.  So no information regarding changes can be found anywhere - not even in my junk/spam mail.  

What i got instead were repeat e-mails about watching the safety video and the paperwork needed to enter Bermuda.  Nothing else.

Finally, the process of doing the nightmare paperwork onboard to get into Canada was excrutiating.  The paperwork for Bermuda was a lot easier. I was told that I  needed the approval barcode on my person along with vaccination cards and my whole life story to get off the ship.  Not one Canadien official was present or checked anything when I got off or back on the ship.

Cruises are supposed to be fun, relaxing and stress free.  NCL needs to get their act together.

• Like 1

I agree.  The process had become tedious.  The restart was tainted with a lot of upsets and setbacks.  Someone needs to have an incredible amount of patience in navigating through changes in requirements.  I enjoy helping friends book their cruises, I honestly tell them that the experience onboard may not be as seamless as it was before, but they are just excited to be able to cruise again. 

Okay, so according to Deanne, since I had travel insurance, I could have canceled this trip to no where and gotten all my money back. Good to know! Thanks, Deanne!

Did anyone else notice at the bottom of the change of itinerary message that if you did not get this message, call the number below. So, if I didn’t get the message, I would somehow know to call this number listed as the bottom of the message I didn’t receive? Sounds logical to me….

On 9/22/2022 at 6:22 AM, bombarc said:

I know NCL does not care that I am heartbroken and disgusted with how this has turned out.  I understand the weather amd hurricane protocols but to not have any advanced comunicaton regarding possible itinerary changes led me to believe that the cruise would go as planned.

And you know, neither do we.

After reading all the negative reviews of the new Prima which we are booked on in May, I hope I will not be saying "Good Riddance NCL" too. :classic_angry: I am on the fence about canceling it. Not sure if you can transfer the trip insurance you bought to another cruise, but if I can then I may cancel. My deposit was minimal so I don't care if I lose that. 

7 hours ago, gabby said:

After reading all the negative reviews of the new Prima which we are booked on in May, I hope I will not be saying "Good Riddance NCL" too. :classic_angry: I am on the fence about canceling it. Not sure if you can transfer the trip insurance you bought to another cruise, but if I can then I may cancel. My deposit was minimal so I don't care if I lose that. 

Where are you seeing negative reviews?  I have seen mostly positive, mixed in with a few things people wish were different, but nothing really negative other than the static MDR menu (which I would dislike).

Being the new kid on the block, Prima is commanding a high price right now, so that’s a turn-off for me.

On 10/9/2022 at 6:28 PM, styxfire said:

Where are you seeing negative reviews?  I have seen mostly positive, mixed in with a few things people wish were different, but nothing really negative other than the static MDR menu (which I would dislike).

Being the new kid on the block, Prima is commanding a high price right now, so that’s a turn-off for me.

Not necessarily negative about the WHOLE ship....why do I have to be so specific to have an opinion? I read passenger reviews on Cruise Critic who actually were on this ship and they commented about the "limited seating" at all the venues and how lucky you will be to get a seat if you don't book it seconds after you board or if you are not in the Haven. I also read how small the buffet is and that you have to search for a seat and maybe go sit somewhere else unless the weather is good and you can sit outside. There are many many who have reported this and I was simply responding to it... and yes they are commanding a higher price than all their other ships. We are going regardless and will deal with the negative areas of this cruise. 

• Like 1