Cruise Hive Boards

Cruising Australia

I haven't personally been to Australia, however I have read about Royal Caribbean ships cruising to there and it looks absolutely stunning. The idea and the chance to visit iconic destinations like Sydney opera House and visit places like Queensland is definitely a must. You must say @Cruising farmer if you ever do decide to go and where?

• Like 1

@Cruising farmer I can't recommend visiting New Zealand enough! I have seen some wonderful itineraries that depart from Sydney and visit many ports of call in New Zealand.

If you enjoy HAL, I recommend looking into some of the itineraries mentioned in this article. https://www.cruisehive.com/holland-america-unwraps-longer-voyages-for-three-ships/102391

How long would you be able to get away for a Down Under itinerary? 

image.thumb.png.b477bf406021bd86ed5e7e7cfb2bec04.png

Yes yes yes. Also New Zealand is a must. I've just realised that everywhere is a must. But I think Auckland would be wonderful to see. And being a huge lord of the rings fan, it is a definite to go on the lotr tour to see the locations where they filmed. 

@LukeJ Yes, if you love Lord of the Rings you wouldn't want to miss Turanga in NZ! 

@Cruising farmer I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you have the resources and the time, I would look into an itinerary like this one! https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-line-offers-individual-legs-of-upcoming-world-sailing/108208

AIDAsol is offering some amazing itineraries that will cruise from October 2024 into February 2025. 

image.thumb.png.05b9d87198a966ebcb28c85c6a69abe6.png

@LukeJ I wish I could say I have been to Tauranga, but I have yet to visit! The scenery has to be incredible. I wouldn't want to cruise to NZ without stopping there. I need to begin cruising new territories but with the flight costs, I have been hesitant to book anything overseas. I'm actually on a hunt for a solid transatlantic voyage for 2025. That will cut my flight costs significantly! 

@LukeJ I wish I had personal experience to share. I have heard about certain NZ ports of call that sound very dreamy like Napier. This region is filled with scenery and gorgeous vineyards. I am always a fan of a picturesque winery! Napier is known for its Bordeaux blends, which I happen to love.image.thumb.png.945fd45c8047469203f6142987bfeeca.png

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

Somewhere where I would save to go on. Living the other side of the world isn't helpful, however once retired, it can be something magical to spend a few weeks away on board and take our time visiting all the wonderful locations that would be available to us.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I completely agree! I also live way too far away from NZ so cruising to this region would be a dream come true. Once retired, how often do you plan to cruise? Will you remain loyal to one cruise line or will you plan to cruise with differing lines? I plan to cruise much more once I retire; I will be much more flexible then! 

It depends on the location you wish to go to I guess. If we find a particular cruise line suits us then we shall remain with them, but I have no objections at this time trying different companies. Trial and error really. Each one brings its own thing.

@LukeJ From your cruise experience, what cruise line would you prefer to cruise if you were choosing to cruise Australia? I have seen some cool itineraries with RCL. Quantum of the Seas will be cruising Australia, and I was considering booking with the line. I want a real Down Under experience though. I'm so used to cruising the US with RCL, I wouldn't know what to expect! 

https://www.cruisehive.com/another-royal-caribbean-ship-joins-australian-cruise-season/114390

image.thumb.png.29fd71a77483697b277ad053ae4e52a3.png

Suprisingly high numbers of North Americans, Canadians, NZers etc take the opportunity and opt for A Round Australia cruise.  Usually 28 days and home porting in Sydney or Brisbane.  Tropical ports down to blue water ports.  An excellent selection.   Cost varies.  Budget options are P&O starting from around $AUD4600.00. Specials from most cruise lines.  We used Majestic Princess in February 2023.  You will need something warm to wear when down in the southern ports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Rayk I haven't even looked into booking P&O Cruises! Thanks for sharing your experience. I will have to browse itinerary options with the line. What do you enjoy about P&O Cruises? Is it a more luxurious cruise line? Would you recommend this line for a family or is it more geared for adults-only? My apologies for all of the questions, but I don't know much about the line.

@LukeJ my friend goes to Australia for several weeks every 5 years to visit family. He states he would love to move there but is too old to do so, but can't say nothing but positive things about the country. Whenever I've looked into it, the whole lifestyle seems much better, better way of life as well as value for money.