Cruise Hive Boards

Cruising Australia

@LukeJ How far is France from your hometown? I would totally drive to France if it was feasible! I haven't had the chance to go yet because it's a very long and expensive flight to make it happen. Is the food in France worth the hype? I love a good croissant, but I have heard the portion sizes aren't up to par with the hefty US diet. I would rather eat a smaller portion of high quality goods. My husband, on the other hand, needs a full plate of food to be satisfied. I think school off every 6-7 weeks is pretty standard, but I thought maybe with the snow and road hazards there would be more unexpected days off for students. When I used to live in Florida the schools would take off for hurricanes or hurricane-like events. There were extra spare days the school system saved for such events. Obviously, snow days weren't a thing in Florida. 

image.thumb.png.fbfbd9f19e587e98b7a49af98af9ca46.png

France isn't all that far in comparison. About four hour drive to the port, and jump on a ferry for the crossing, which takes an hour and a bit if on the direct crossing and you're in France. The last couple of occasions we've been on the boat to France has been an all night crossing, which confuses me and makes me laugh every time. How can an hour crossing take all night? I keep imagining them turning the engine off and letting us drift to France instead.

• Like 1

@LukeJ That's such a simple drive over! There are so many things to do in France that are unique to that area. It makes traveling there an adventure since it has so much to offer! An all night affair sounds very trying. That's bizarre that an all night sailing is an hour. Is the "all night" crossing a cheaper option than the day crossing? I wouldn't have a problem with a night crossing if it was a money saver! When you get to France you do typically use public transit? The turning the engine off and letting us drift to France instead made me laugh.

• Like 1

@Kendall James-VargasThe simple drive over goes from Dover, yet the longer ferry will go from Southampton or Portsmouth and travel further down France and come out at St. Malo, which is roughly a 10 hour voyage. But it is worth it, as St. Malo is a beautiful town. I love visiting there, with so much to do there, and the food is unbelievable. Highly recommend if you ever wish to go. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I prefer to travel other ways instead of car. The car trips get annoying because you have to be bound to your seat and seatbelt the whole time. It seems like you have explored many areas of France and know the country very well! When you cruise do you typically cruise out of Southampton? I have never considered traveling to St. Malo, but now that you have spoken so highly of it, I would absolutely love to explore it. I learn more and more each day about regions around the world that I never even thought to explore. Thanks for broadening my horizons! When you cruise do you typically drive to the port or do you ferry or take a train? Parking at the port can be tedious and costly, so if you have another option it could be best!

It all depends on how you look at it, taking the car does have its perks, as it's safe in the knowledge that you have transport guaranteed and you are safe that you are in your vehicle. We always tend to drive up the day before and stay in a hotel closer to the port. Saves any nasty surprises the next day in case we get stuck in traffic and panic about reaching the cruise or the ferry, so staying the night before relaxes everyone. Sure the financial implications are.more, but for peace and mind I believe it's totally worth it. Yes we do tend to sail from Southampton if we can, it's just familiar and we are happy to use the same ships.

• Like 1

@LukeJ Safety is surely important. I would not want to travel in any capacity if I felt unsafe while doing it. The local public transit where I live does not feel safe to me. In fact, I will intentionally avoid the local tram at all costs when alone, although it can be pretty practical when in the city. Staying at a hotel aa cruise is more convenient for everyone, particularly if that hotel provides a shuttle to the port and extended-stay parking options. I too enjoy cruising out of familiar ports. I'm fine cruising on the same ship over and over, especially if I have enjoyed the experience in the past. Peace of mind is important. It makes for a more relaxing experience all around. Which ships have you been cruising on lately? I have found myself on many of MSC Cruises' Seaside-class ships. Those include MSC Seaside, MSC Seashore, MSC Seascape, and MSC Seaview. I have been on all except MSC Seaview! These ships have an exceptionally priced stateroom for five guests that suits my family so well.

image.png.63cf2076778be1961f193f6ca70cf70a.png

@LukeJ Many of our local homeless residents will opt to sleep/ride the tram at night. Unfortunately, we have a large homeless population and a big local drug problem that doesn't seem to be getting better. Our city residents pay high taxes to combat these issues, but it hasn't really helped much. From food to shelter, it's still such a crisis here. It's mostly a problem of being alone, but in a group setting you are less likely to get into any unforeseen troubles. I wish it wasn't so, but it seems the more we provide, the more that is gone without resolution and restoration. 

• Sad 1

@Kendall James-Vargas I can see the issue now you've explained. I wouldn't want to go aboard a tram at night either if that is what you're subjected to. It can be quite intimidating I guess. In the UK, we pay very high taxes too for absolutely nothing. The money we get taken from us to pay towards things that we supposed to pay towards is squandered and hardly anything gets done which is frustrating as we can't do a thing about it. It keeps rising 5% every year, but the problems keep arising and we wonder where it all goes.

• Like 1

@LukeJ It's really a shame because it's such a practical to transport otherwise! I just don't feel safe enough to do it alone. I have taken my children on the tram and was subject to what seemed like a raid and the police had us stand back. This all happened during the day, so I can't even imagine what the evening could be like. The taxes here were higher than where I used to live, but I don't find the quality of living any better here. If anything there are more criminal issues here. I felt safer living in Florida, near all the ports. It was a wonderful place to be! Shopping costs are higher here and so are the taxes for buying goods. When I go to Florida I feel much more comfortable spending. It's such a shame you have noticed a 5% increase in your taxes annually. That's very significant. What exactly are these taxes supposed to go to? 

Yes and it sounds like such a cool way of travelling via tram. That would be fantastic for the kids as they seem to love such a way of travelling. But the way you have described the dangers, I'm surprised if it won't be discontinued soon maybe. Our numbers taxes are a disgrace in the UK in my opinion. It's disgusting the amount that they keep taking off us at every opportunity. They even charge us for extra rooms in your house. The tax comes from our local council who are untrustworthy at the best of times. The price keeps going up each year, yet nothing gets done around the towns and cities.

@LukeJ Every country does things so differently! Some countries I travel to have excellent public transit options, and others don't have good systems at all. If I'm new to the area, I always opt to rent a car if I'm staying for more than 24 hours. If I'm staying for less than that, I will just taxi to wherever I need to go in the day light. Taxing at night (particularly if I don't speak the native language) is pretty intimidating.

How could you be charged for the amount of rooms in your home? That is insane! How do they even know how many rooms you have in your home? If you add a bedroom and don't tell the city, will you be subject to a penalty? I'm blown away by this. It sounds so controlling!