Cruise Hive Boards

COOKIE GATE!

6 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

What is a train ride on the Orient Express? I haven't heard of this before, but I'm always interested in a scenic train ride. I have done an amazing one in Peru from Cuzco to Aguas Caliente to visit Machu Pichu. It's one of my favorite experiences. What a treat it is to be able to explore the world via train! It's so much better than driving yourself through traffic. 

Sheldon - is that you?

• Confused 1

@FJB I'm lost! Who is Sheldon? I feel like an outsider.

PaulB, those are the train rides I would love to experience! Have you been on a train ride that you enjoyed? I'm not a fan of people movers, but a scenic train is truly my cup of tea. I wouldn't pay thousands of dollars per person for a train. If I'm paying those prices, I would opt for a cruise. Cruises have it all, scenery included! 

It's a train ride that costs thousands per person from Paris through to Romania in Europe, visiting Vienna and Germany.  I'm not sure if it's still possible to go on now. The standards were high on the train, with food fine dining and silver spoon service.

• Thanks 1

I remember looking into it many years ago and surprised at the costs. If my memory serves me correctly, I could swear it was in the region of £4000 per person.  So with those sort of costs, I'd not only expect fine dining in its fullest, I'd want the carriage to take home too.

@FJB I'm cracking up at the Sheldon reference! @Seaawgs Thanks for giving the clarification.

I too enjoy train ride excursions at all ports of call. It's so nice that all ages and abilities can ride together. It's even better when the train ride includes food! The silver spoon train would be so worthwhile for a special occasion. There is an epic Christmas train near where I live in the mountains. It's absolutely lovely and the best tradition! The last time I went I was so cold; the temps were in the teens, but inside the train was nice and toasty. At least the train offers tons of warm drink options, including spiked choices if you desire.

For the record, I'm not Sheldon. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No warm chocolate chip cookies. But, almost no free chocolate chip cookies either. Three dozen put out at noon and gone in 30 seconds like Fast and Furious. Also, the free cookies taste weird, like gluten-free or something. Oatmeal Raisin cookies pile up as they are a hundred times less in demand as chocolate chip. Essentially great cost savings by putting out only unpopular cookirs to offset the anticipated revenue from the warm chocolate chip  cookies.

Just another brick in the wall. Celebrity driving down customer satisfaction. We've switched to Oceania which hasn't cheaped up and with Celebrity price increases is now about the same price.

• Thanks 1

@Stanley I'm laughing that there were only three dozen out! How is that supposed to feed everyone? I stayed at the Double Tree about a month ago, and the unlimited cookies were the best perk. The hotel is nice too, but the unlimited warm cookies are such a treat! Oatmeal raisin is just subpar. Do you agree? Oatmeal raisin probably costs more to make anyway, especially if they have nuts. I don't get it. Give the people what they want! That's just a simplified solution. 

I didn't realize the prices between Celebrity Cruises and Oceania Cruises were that close. I may look into Oceania Cruises instead! It's known as a more upscale line anyway. I can only imagine the experience is much better with a respectful crowd. The Oceania Cruises' itineraries are pretty unique too. Which Oceania ships have you enjoyed?