Cruise Hive Boards

COOKIE GATE!

Let's hope they all listen and make a change when people stop cruising high seas. That's the only way it's going to go back to the way it used to be all inclusive Carefree Fancy free and lots of fun not penny pinching everything on board the ship. Even though I will never sell on a ship again after that horrific experience. I would like to see the cruise ship industry go back to the old ways so people can really enjoy and nice vacation and really see what a Carefree no headache vacation is with being catered to All in One price. The only way that's ever going to change is if the people speak up and let their voices heard. Just like charging for the cookies and a slice of pizza? Really, you're on this huge 16-story ship and you have to pay for a cookie and a slice of pizza. That is so laughable, the funny thing is the first time Cruisers have no clue of what cruising hype on what it used to be,, I guess the company is going to have to learn the hard way when the sales go down and people speak up

@Grieving Mom As much as the golden days of cruising were by far the best, this new way of cruising is pretty much here to stay. Cruise lines are all about turning a profit and what is most bizarre is that the cruise lines are costing more but booking out quicker than ever. From your experience, I understand how traumatic your recent cruise has been, but I don't know if the cookie charges and pizza fees will go away. Novice cruisers, unlike yourself, just don't know any better! If you don't remember the 24/7 ice cream service and the really exceptional guest service, then there is nothing to be missed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

@Grieving Mom As much as the golden days of cruising were by far the best, this new way of cruising is pretty much here to stay. Cruise lines are all about turning a profit and what is most bizarre is that the cruise lines are costing more but booking out quicker than ever. From your experience, I understand how traumatic your recent cruise has been, but I don't know if the cookie charges and pizza fees will go away. Novice cruisers, unlike yourself, just don't know any better! If you don't remember the 24/7 ice cream service and the really exceptional guest service, then there is nothing to be missed. 

SAD!😔I have to be thankful for what my life experiences were in the good old days. And I found my soulmate and had a great deep love. Some people never find their soulmate. Just like the old Southern California Beach area where I was born and raised. It was care and fancy free. I was a teenager in the hippie days. Those were the days that life was good and everybody was almost middle class. California is no more where a place I would go to live. It's a beautiful state, and used to be a 2-hour drive to anywhere you wanted to go even skiing was an hour and you can be surfing in the same day back on the beach. Even crossing the border to Tijuana was fun and going down to Ensenada for weekends. Couldn't get me to go across the border anymore or even into Mexico even though I love Puerto vallarta, San Lucas. Too scary for me with the cartels. Here too many horrific stories.

• Like 2

@Cruising Caribbean & @Grieving Mom Yep, how much cruising has changed! It once was almost magical and now it's not.

Here's to the good old days, join me in a rousing sing along of 'Those Were The Days'  -

Once upon a time there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours
Think of all the great things we would do?

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way
La-la-la-da-da-da
La-la-la-da-da-da
Da-da-da-da, la-da-da-da-da

• Haha 1

Cute Melody, rccl has contacted me regarding the situation from corporate office. They asked for all the receipts that I had to keep myself and my son a float in Seattle with the hotel on a car for 9 days. Cars are 169 and your hotel is 260 a day. I told him I want every single penny back and I'm still going to look for a lawyer on the mental anguish and being locked in my stateroom as if I were a criminal checking in on me every 15 minutes through the night. Unbelievable. I got the last laugh anyways, I told that security manager that if he didn't work on the ships he'd be working at Walmart as a security guard as a nobody. Of course I didn't say that until at the very end. I'm sure he was very embarrassed cuz I said in front of the rest of the security. You have to fight for what's right and that's what I'm doing no matter how much it hurts I am not giving up. Especially for my son that's in heaven because of the ignorance of the constables in the redneck state that starts with a T. I won't even give it a name as it doesn't deserve one. It's in the middle of the country taking people's rights away along with everything else

• Like 1

Since the flood gates were left open, we must move to higher ground. There are plenty of cruise lines operating low capacity smaller ships. Walmart cruising is here to stay so we must spend more $$$ to avoid the masses and the watered down experience. Try Azamara or their like. After the nickel and diming of larger cruise lines, it's not that much more for the upgrade. 

• Like 1

@Grieving Mom It sounds like you had such an incredible love story! You traveled to some pretty awesome places. You made some unforgettable memories for sure! What was one of your favorite trips with your loved one? Do you still enjoy skiing and surfing? 

@Seaawgs That's so true! We all might as well start cruising luxury for the prices nowadays. I haven't splurged on Azamara, but I think once you try it, there is no going back. When you book with Azamara, do you get unlimited spa access and drinks all included? That would totally be worth the higher price. 

Edited by Cruising Caribbean

@Seaawgs I don't know if you sold me with your "cruising from years past" statement! At least the basic alcohol is included, but it doesn't seem like luxury cruising to me either. I have heard good things about the line, and the prices aren't outrageous, but I still don't know if I could justify the additional price with bottom-shelf liquor. If I'm going to pay that much, I could go to MSC Yacht Club or NCL Haven. I think that an all-inclusive ship within a ship, private butler experience sounds more exciting!

I will second Azamara as what cruising used to be. Been on one Azamara cruise and was very impressed with everything.  Considering where pricing is with Celebrity now and their cutbacks in service and food quality, I think Azamara is in our future. 

• Like 1

We love Celebrity and have a 35 day back to back to back coming up on the Beyond. Deck chairs will be hard and uncomfortable,  popular venues will be crowded and there will be herd migration getting on and off the ship. We know this and plan accordingly. The point being made, this is not traditional cruising but an option for something different. For padded deck loungers, easy access and calm , I'll have to look elsewhere .

• Like 1

@Seaawgs This is a really realistic assessment. A 35-day back to back to back itinerary is pretty impressive. You must really love your Celebrity Beyond. Were you able to snag a pretty good rate for these back-to-back itineraries? I wish cruise lines offered a discount for purchasing itineraries like this in bulk! You will be cruising for over a month on Celebrity Beyond. My husband wouldn't oblige, but my dream is to live in an RV and cruise the rest of the time. This lifestyle would only be feasible if I could snag awesome cruise itineraries for weeks at a time, without having to pay an arm and a leg!

@3Sisters the trick to making a cruise seem "worth it" is to add up all of the costs you'd incur during the same time frame if you stayed home and subtract it from the cost of the cruise.  Celebrity offers no incentive to book multiple cruises together. However,  a happy  travel agent may add extra on-board credit.  Seeing the US in an RV would be the way to go.

• Thanks 1

@Seaawgs That's a good way to look at it. Eating out every day on land surely adds up! The everyday water and electricity bills add up too. I like that trick. It doesn't cost much more after you factor all that in. I wish Celebrity Cruises offered some sort of incentive for back-to-back sailings! Do you typically book through a travel agent? I typically go directly through the cruise line. 

Yes, RV through the U.S. would be grand, and then 1/3 of the year traveling the rest of the world via ship! That's the ultimate dream. Do you typically book the same stateroom so you don't have to move your things? I have always been curious about how each cruise line handles back-to-backs. 

If I had the money, I'd definitely eat out every day. It's so much easier, and I do enjoy the social element of it also. But other than that, the living crisis makes it difficult for us to treat ourselves in that sense. So going on vacation on cruises, is a massive treat for us to enjoy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@LukeJ I really don't feel the need to overextend my budget day to day. If I'm more frugal most of the year, I don't take my vacations for granted and go full out. I don't necessarily overindulge in food and drink, but I definitely don't limit myself on vacation either. If I want it, I buy it, unlike my everyday motto, "If I don't need it, don't buy it." Life is all about balance, but if I'm going to spend big money on vacation, it needs to be unforgettable. 

@LukeJ Honestly I have felt that way about every cruise experience. I haven't had the opportunity to go to any "dream" destinations yet, but I still have plenty of time to make those. I think my favorite vacations are yet to come. The next one in the works for me would be an MSC Yacht Club experience. I think a world cruise would check that box tenfold. How about you? What has been your most worthwhile vacation? I think will likely be more "well-traveled" than I am!

Mostly the European destinations, and despite them all being beautiful locations, I do believe my dream sailing and port of call visits would be to Canada. There is something about the place I've always wished to visit, and one day I'm sure I will get that wish. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I would love to do a Canadian cruise too! What would be your dream destinations in Canada? The Canada/New England cruise would be a nice itinerary to start, but I'm most interested in cruising an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver!

image.thumb.png.32cec917e876b0b034d5e5814cac7159.png

https://www.cruisehive.com/canadian-port-welcomes-10-millionth-cruise-passenger/108794

Whenever I mention Canada, and the question arises for the destination, I'm actually stumped at where to say because I wish to do the whole country. I can't really pinpoint any that I could say I would like to do more than another place. Canada/New England just looks like somewhere where i could make my home. The Rockies is a dream, and Vancouver I'd go in a heartbeat, so maybe that's the answer. Everywhere..

• Like 1