Cruise Hive Boards

COOKIE GATE!

@Sally l Yes, this is such a shame! I agree that paying extra for the chocolate chip cookie is just not worth it. It's almost insulting! https://www.cruisehive.com/new-charge-spotted-for-cookies-on-celebrity-cruises-ship/109334

There are plenty of other delicious sweet treat options to enjoy onboard. I think it's hilarious that the cruise line is opting to charge gratuities on them too. 

On 8/24/2023 at 7:56 PM, Sally l said:

We board the Equinox this Sunday and I can promise you I will go "cookie less" for the entire cruise if they are really charging $2.40 for a mediocre chocolate chip cookie!!

Cookies on Celebrity and Pizza on Princess, Just say NO!  I am booked on two up coming celebrity cruises and I hate they are starting this like all the rest of the cruise lines. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I will be on the Equinox in October this year, and I can unequivocally say that we will not be eating any $2 cookies. We have been on 59 cruises on various lines.  We have enjoyed eating in some of the specialty restaurants, nevertheless, we have always found enough good food in the included dining and snack venues to satisfy us.  We, like many other cruisers don't appreciate the additional charges for items that we have received in the past as part of the cruise fare. 

Captain Dizzy

• Like 1

@FJB This is too funny, "cakegate, breadpuddinggate, bananagate." I really find it unnecessary. As you said, I think cruise guests will still pay for these now-deemed extras. I just won't be one of those people. 

@GeegaCruises That's one way to do it! I would rather pay an extra $10 per person than be nickel and dimed on the little treats that make each cruise line so special. 

@Captain Dizzy I agree with you! It's almost insulting as a long-time cruiser. One of my favorite parts of cruising is that it's all one set, predictable price. Having to pay extra for every little thing takes away from the experience for me. 

It's getting ridiculous now. I agree it's only a small amount of money but it's the principle of paying all this money for all inclusive as cruises have always been known for, just to try and get that little bit more off people. It is a real shame companies don't care about the guests anymore.

• Like 1

This opens the gates for new cruiselines ie Virgin to sail with the old model where everything is included.  As mentioned previously, just charge me the extra $10-25 in the initial fare so I can still have cookies and the chocolate on my pillow. If cruise companies continue down this path, then I may as well take a land vacation or all inclusive resort vacation- won’t be much difference in the experience or price. 

• Like 2

@Seaawgs That's very true. It's hard to create the cruise experience without the funds but the tip-jar mentality doesn't set well with me. I'm right there with @FJB. I will pay the upfront cost but don't make me second guess indulging onboard. That's the whole point of paying the one upfront cost, you get to not think twice about it while enjoying your time onboard. Everything is available to you because you already paid for it.

I read on here that the cruise line now has stated that the free cookies are continuing, just that they were charging for cookies that have come right out of the oven. I thinks that's ludicrous, all inclusive is exactly that, not charged for some things. The cost of the vacation is expensive to begin with, and the cost of drinks is separate, only food is relatively free but all these companies are now "testing the water" with small charges. If the people don't speak out, they will continue charging and testing for other things. 

I saw that article too. I think with all of the backlash Celebrity Cruises is receiving from this "cookie fee," the line has decided to put a more well-received statement out. The idea of only the freshly baked cookies cost extra is pretty ludicrous. I believe this is a coverup for the line's initial perspective of charging extra for cookies onboard. Do you agree? 

I definitely agree. It's the same pattern as other companies have done and treat the consumer as a fool. All the lies and the just trying something talk will in turn, end up costing the guests and passengers money. I don't believe in all the it's only a few dollars because this is not what it's about. It's the principle that companies are continuing to make money out of people that they have already paid for in the cruise fee itself. The experience and customer service is dwindling at an alarming rate and these big companies just do not care about that, their concern is simply to make more and more money and the passengers rights and privileges just get shot of.

Tip jars for management is ridiculous. These managers are on ridiculously well paid salaries. The tips are designed to help give lower paid employee a boost in income, so why d management believe they deserve that and happily take away extra monies from the lower paid.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LukeJ said:

Tip jars for management is ridiculous. These managers are on ridiculously well paid salaries. The tips are designed to help give lower paid employee a boost in income, so why d management believe they deserve that and happily take away extra monies from the lower paid.

I despise tip jars in general wherever they are  

I can understand using them for low salaried employers, a little top up, a perk if you wish. But sorry, not management. I do not agree at all that they should have any. Managers are well paid. Managers have responsibility, I don't doubt it. But they don't work harder than anyone who is less paid. 

@LukeJ I feel the same way! Usually, managers don't need the extra tips, but I guess it depends on the industry. When I see tip jars I automatically feel obligated to tip. I'm happy to tip, with or without a jar, when the experience is exceptional or an employee goes above and beyond, but I, just like @FJB, am not a fan of tip jars either. 

Also, glad the cookie fee thing was clarified. There was way too much backlash from guests! It was clearly backfiring. 

I think they tried their luck with the cookies, there was a backlash and I believe that's why the continued the free cookie. However they still continued with the charge for "warm" cookies, right out of the oven. In time, the freebies will filter out or run out for time being, but we have fresh out of the oven for you. Which you will pay for.

The old cruising days are over, all exclusive. Main dining room breakfast lunch and dinner, no more. Horrific menu Bland tasting food in the main dining room . Those days are fine dining in a luxurious dining room with a fantastic menu to choose from for your meal or long gone . Boycott Royal Caribbean does not even give you room service unless you pay $17 and you do not get breakfast or lunch in the main dining room you go to the cafeteria basically in the AFT of the ship and Serve Yourself. What's the purpose of a luxury Cruise if you have to Serve Yourself cafeteria style and can't even get room service if you like a continental breakfast for the morning without extra charge. Cruising used to be great and fun, those days are over I will never board a ship again . All the luxurious fun things have been taken away they charge you for activities that are on board. The whole thing is ridiculous it's not Carefree or fancy free anymore. Bye-bye cruises.

Edited by Grieving Mom

@Grieving Mom I tend to hear the same from many people. The same point of view and the same grievances at what you're saying. Cruising used to be the pinnacle of a vacation. We have all heard stories about how wonderful cruising used to be, and how special it used to make them feel. Now, it seems the care and the pride have gone completely from the cruising industry. Customer service is appalling. There doesn't seem to be the same "feel" to go crusing like it used to. Cutting costs and changes are the norm these days. And saving money which devalues the whole experience as well as trying to get more money out of hardworking guests.

Yes I agree, I finally got the CEO's attention to what happened to my vacation on rccl. Since I pretty much know the ins and the outs of cruising because I've done so much and then I worked on the ships and then I met my husband as a cruise ship captain while working. I gave him some fyi's regarding the cruising industry right now. They've taken something that was so special and so enjoyable of just being catered to and being out in the open Seas and are ruining the cruising experience. I would never go on a cruise again and I love the ocean just as my husband did as he worked all his life at sea. I just talked to somebody and they went on it Disney Cruise and she was very disappointed herself and she's been on many cruises and she was sure that it was going to be just fine. Well she's decided she's not cruising anymore. So if they don't change their ways cruising is not going to be a great way to travel anymore unless you don't care and you like eating cafeteria food and serving yourself. I was used to going on cruises when I was single traveling with my sister as she was a travel agent and she got cruises for like 25 to $35 a night because she was in the business. We had such wonderful time and we could never get enough of cruising. I guess they're going to have to learn the hard way when people stop cruising because they're pinching pennies on board the ships. I understand they charge like $2.50 for a chocolate chip cookie. How ridiculous. What's the purpose of cruising if you're not being pampered and catered too. The ships are too big right now I don't like them, I'm used to having no more than 1500 and that's a lot. But these Mega ships that are holding $5,000 that's just too much and it's very impersonable and no catering to the passenger anymore. I wouldn't go on a cruise if they gave it to me free around the world the way it is today. I never thought I would say that in a million years cuz I love the ocean. That's where I fell in love with my dear sweet husband of 32 years. He's in heaven now unfortunately. Did you read my story when you click on the broken heart you go to comments and there's a part one and a part two and that story is true it happened in August 2023. I am in now talks with the corporate office to refund every penny that I spent on that nightmare vacation including being stranded in Seattle. Some people don't believe my story, who would make up a story like that, I surely wouldn't. I'm still going after them with a lawyer for what they did and the trauma that they caused to myself and my son grieving.