Cruise Hive Boards

What's the hardest job on board a cruise?

After discussing with several friends that have worked onboard a cruise, one was a hair dresser, one a dancer and a couple I know worked in the shops. It made me wonder what was the hardest job that you can have on the cruises.. does anyone have any thoughts or have they themselves worked in any difficult positions? 

@PaulB I would have thought every job was challenging in its own way as some would be harder in a way that they have so much responsibility on their shoulders. Some would be mentally draining maybe as they would require organising and making sure everything was running smoothly. Others like chefs and waiters would find it hard being on their feet feeding thousands of people.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I agree that all jobs come with their own specific challenges, but dealing with irate personnel can certainly be a struggle. I guess this is more of a mental struggle than a physical struggle, but other jobs are more physically demanding and take a toll on your body over time. I can say that I haven't had a job that was out of the ordinary which made me struggle immensely. I worked 3 jobs through college to pay my way and I appreciated every one of them, even if it was scrubbing the kitchen at my university. Overall, with a positive attitude and a healthy body, you can really turn any experience into a good one. It's all in the mindset. 

@Cruising Caribbean yes I totally agree with you in regards to a positive mindset. If you are doing something thinking negative from the start, then it will be unlikely that you will enjoy that at all. It can be quite difficult to think of positive things at times depending on your job, but again a more positive mindset will change all that.

@LukeJ I feel exactly the same! I think most extremely critical feedback ends up being negative and sometimes gives cruise ships, or any experience, a bad wrap. I try to ignore most of the "negative only" reviews because if the reviewer doesn't even have even one positive thing to say, the entire approach is clearly coming from a place of negativity. I think staying humble and appreciative of the things you have really helps in harvesting a positive mindset. Constant negativity can really weigh a person down over time, and usually, negative people will find negative outlets to express their emotions. I have had jobs that had me working odd hours of the day and sweating, but it certainly makes for a better time when you are in good company! Working around enjoyable, kind people can make any work environment tolerable.

@FJB very interesting. It's a bug bear for me when people always make out that their job is harder than anyone else and act the martyr. Majority of jobs are hardest for different reasons. So yes it can all be broken down in different categories it shows from these comments. Physically a certain job can be harder. Mentally another job is harder than the physical. And it makes an interesting pattern.

@FJB That sounds about right. I wouldn't say any of the cruise ship jobs come with much rest time though. The food runners and chefs, really anyone working near the dining areas, is a constant physical labor. These jobs also require tons of mental toughness. The crew members that run the drinks don't have an easy job either! If I worked on a cruise ship I would likely want the job of a bartender though. The job is intense but there is never a dull moment at the bar. 

@LukeJ This is a tough question because I seriously don't think there is an easy job onboard. I think those that work behind the scenes probably have very strenuous jobs but don't have to deal with disgruntled guests so that may be a bit easier. Those working in specialty restaurants or spas, those pay-extra services may get a better clientele. I also would enjoy the job of exercise personnel onboard. I love the dance classes and the sunrise yoga classes. It's a lot of exercise but usually, the guests who want to participate in these activities are ready to have a good time. Sometimes the job is pretty sweaty but it seems like a lot of fun. What do you think is the easiest job onboard a cruise ship?

@FJB The CCL comment cracked me up! I do see the security personnel looking pretty relaxed most of the time, but that job also holds a lot of weight and responsibility, especially during the embarkation and disembarkation process. People try to speak things on to the boat far too often after a good time at a port of call. 

@LukeJ I'm glad to read you agree. Photographers do seem to have a good time and enjoy their job. That's a clever thought. It's not easy to get everyone to smile or to look though. The photographers on board have so much patience, especially while photographing my young children. Here are some smart tips for good cruise photographs

Good shout out for the photographer job, I like the sound of that. Also entertainment would be having some fun too, albeit very hard work I should imagine. Friend of mine was hairdresser onboard and she loved it.

As much as I think that the job of an entertainer is intriguing, I wouldn't want that type of work with such physically demanding pressure in my life. If you hurt yourself in any way, you can pretty much consider that career path a dead end. I guess I would like a more physically relaxed environment. Being a hairdresser onboard a cruise ship sounds alright! I don't think the hairdressers ever get too heavily booked out so there is plenty of downtime I would assume. They probably do less routine maintenance and more specialty updos or styles.

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard of Marco Pierre White! He would be a great chef to watch, I can always use some fresh dinner ideas. I would imagine celebrity chef, culinary cruise experiences would be such a hit. I love when cruise lines are innovative and adopt an inspirational chef to oversee culinary aspects. Emeril Lagasse is the Chief Culinary Officer for CCL and even has a specialty restaurant onboard several members of the fleet. 

The hardest job would have to be a solo musician. Being one myself, I know the toll that performing a 4 hour gig 5 days a week can take on your body and voice. Imagine doing 5-6 gigs a day (1 hour at a time) in different venues all over the ship. We're talking about gigs starting sometimes mid-morning and going on until late evening. This goes on 7 days a week with very little time off. You even find the soloists playing on embarkation days when leaving the ports. Although most of the performers are treated a little better than other crew members, their contracts generally run 4-6 months. If you have problem with your gear during a cruise, there are no music stores in the middle of the ocean so you have to carry backups for your equipment. If your voice gives up, you're done. I checked into signing on at one point and realized the strain that such a gig would put on any personal life that you currently have. You have to be a special kind of "Solitary Man" to enroll in that lifestyle!

• Like 1

@Jim Lamb I didn't even think about the job of a solo musician. That's a really interesting perspective. I guess you are your own music supply store! You must have to have extras of everything with you and somehow house it all in you small stateroom space you are provided, which is usually a shared stateroom space onboard if I'm correct. Living on a boat is definitely giving up on much of your independent, normal life. You have to give up your time with friends/family, social life, and lifestyle to fulfill that job title for sure. What is your preferred genre of music to perform?

I play in a tourist town so my playlist has to be a bit diverse. My favorites are the classic rock/ singer songwriter type songs from my youth. I also have a very large selection of Jimmy Buffett? Trop Rock tunes for the masses. I play on average 220 gigs a year and get to go home every night! Life is good! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Jim Lamb Oh, everyone loves Jimmy Buffet, especially on vacation. I'm already playing Margaritaville in my head, pretending I'm on a cruise ship! You can't go wrong with some rock classics, but that must be hard to play solo. What instrument do you typically play, and do you sing alongside it? Wow, that's amazing you play that many gigs a year AND don't have to go out of town. You must really appreciate being able to be in your bed every night. I know I would! That's such a polar opposite scenario of the life of a solo musician on a cruise ship.

@Jim Lamb That's my favorite combo, but the piano and singing combo comes in close second place. I guess guitar and singing are more versatile from rock classics to coffee shop mellow music. I always assume the piano/singing combo is more like a more jazzy, relaxing style. Very cool you are able to perform that often; you must be pretty good! Have you performed as a solo musician on a cruise ship before?