Getaway food- why serve gray beef?

First time on an NCL cruise and the food was terrible. On the buffet, the beef was so overcooked that if you could cut it, it was gray inside (cutting it was very difficult with the knives provided). Can someone tell me if this is typical of NCL? Now, I don’t expect Angus on the buffet, but this wasn’t even choice (the cheapest cut in supermarkets), this was like the beef you make cheap hamburger out of. And the beef in the Savor restaurant was just as bad, I sent one back and the second one was inedible. Gave up and had dessert. One night they served steamship beef, at least that wasn’t cooked to death. What am I missing here?

I don't know.  I always enjoyed Cagney's with the dining package.  I also get the crab cake which I think is one of the best on their menu.  They also have big portions that when I get to the desert, I am pretty much full.  The steak was great, I like it well done anyway so I guess that is what you call gray in color.  To each its own.

Maybe as an employee you get better service. My problem with Cagney’s is that my travel agent told us that we got one ‘premium specialty restaurant’. After we were seated with the rest of our group of 12, we were told that only we were required to pay for our meal. Unfortunately, the manager did this in a way that made us sound like dead beats and embarrassed us in front of everyone in the dining room.

And I am sorry, there is a difference in meat well done and beef that has turned gray. I am sure that if this ‘beef’ was served to you, you would tell your NCL managers that this is unacceptable.

Yeah sorry, I misread that.  I don't know why I  thought it was Cagney.  With the buffet, it is a hit or miss.  I love buffet-style restaurants, the variety s just amazing.  My go-to's are the seafood, cheese, Japanese, and salad sections.  What I observed is that the food will be superb for the first few days and it will go south on the last 2 days of the cruise.  I think they are just using up their inventory at this point.  Do you think that's what happened?  On which day did you observe the grey beef @Pete the Greek? Is it towards the end?

Deanne,

Thevfirst night we ate as a group in the Savor restaurant. I ordered the oven roasted beef, what came out looked like a New York strip. It took me a few minutes to cut through it, it was gray inside and practically unchewable. The server came around and some of my friends were sending back their entrees, so I asked him if I could get the meat medium. He looked at it and said I got the wrong meal. What came next was just as tough as the first one. One of my friends at the table sold meat to restaurants for over 20 years. He said there are 8 grades of meat, and what we were served was either the lowest or the next higher. Basically, meat used for cheap hamburger. That was my first experience with gray meat.

The buffet was not much better, very limited choices, especially for vegetables.

I had high hopes for Gagney’s, but that experience was ruined by the manager. After seating us with the rest of our group, he announced in a very load voice that we must pay for our meal (no one else in our group had to pay). My friends were already sending food back and my fiancé was so embarrassed (he made us feel like freeloaders) that we walked out.

I really believe that NCL knew there were a lot of cancellations and tried to save some money by cleaning out the refrigerator.  My fiancé has a large presence on social media and is not shy when she feels cheated.

• Sad 1

@Pete the Greek Oh no.  What happened to NCL??  That is so bad when a meat vendor, definitely an expert, would grade the meat at the lowest possible grade.  I am sorry, my experience was definitely different from the one you recently had.  I am honestly glad your fiancé, has a large social media following that maybe NCL will take notice.  As per my suggestion, I am planning to book my mom and her friends in the Norwegian Epic on May 2023, and now I am worried.  They have great deals, but now I am not so sure.

If this were my home town, I could tell you exactly what happened. Town orders 1,000 lbs of choice beef, vendor delivered 1,000 lbs of cutter beef. Towns says whoops, pays the higher price and never asks for the difference (which will later show up in cash in an envelope). Everyone is happy except the poor kids trying to eat the mystery meat!

• Haha 1

On 10/5/2022 at 9:56 AM, Pete the Greek said:

Thevfirst night we ate as a group in the Savor restaurant. I ordered the oven roasted beef, what came out looked like a New York strip. It took me a few minutes to cut through it, it was gray inside and practically unchewable. The server came around and some of my friends were sending back their entrees, so I asked him if I could get the meat medium. He looked at it and said I got the wrong meal. What came next was just as tough as the first one. One of my friends at the table sold meat to restaurants for over 20 years. He said there are 8 grades of meat, and what we were served was either the lowest or the next higher. Basically, meat used for cheap hamburger. That was my first experience with gray meat.

The buffet was not much better, very limited choices, especially for vegetables.

I had high hopes for Gagney’s, but that experience was ruined by the manager. After seating us with the rest of our group, he announced in a very load voice that we must pay for our meal (no one else in our group had to pay). My friends were already sending food back and my fiancé was so embarrassed (he made us feel like freeloaders) that we walked out.

I really believe that NCL knew there were a lot of cancellations and tried to save some money by cleaning out the refrigerator.  My fiancé has a large presence on social media and is not shy when she feels cheated.

Sorry you did not enjoy your meal(s) on NCL @Pete the Greek, but I have a hard time buying your story.  If you went to Cagney's, you know that is a specialty restaurant with an additional charge unless you have the Specialty Dining Package or a Latitudes dinner perk.  If you had neither, it was proper for the server to inform you of the additional charge.  Because he did not whisper this in your ear is not a valid complaint IMHO.  If he as addressing the table at large, there is nothing unusual or untoward about his actions.

Moreover, grading the meat after it is cooked is purely speculative.  Did you confirm the grade of meat with the Restaurant Manager or Maître D'?  Did you even speak with either?  Additionally, asserting "NCL knew there were a lot of cancellations and tried to save some money by cleaning out the refrigerator" is equally specious.  It sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder regarding this cruise.

You're welcome to your opinion about NCL's food.  I have found the majority of my meals onboard NCL to be quite good - not much different than meals eaten on other ships or restaurants in general.  Indeed, one of the worst meals I've had was in a popular restaurant in Athens Greece recently.  But I'm not going to go on a travel site and broadly slam all food in Greece.   I believe, "over smaak valt niet te twisten."