GEM Heading to Nassau?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, bombarc said:

Does anyone know why the GEM is heading to Nassau?   We are still  looking to book a trip to the Caribbean on the GEM and Nassau is not mentioned in any itinerary..  Seems like it changes all the time.

Not sure but it may have, in part, been to the late departure from NYC. I read the ship did not leave until close to 10:00 PM that night due to the storm. Looks like the itinerary for this trip is Nassau, St. Maarten, Tortola and Puerto Plata which means Turks and St Thomas is still not accepting ships at this time.

I came across it in another post somewhere (they said they saw it on FB). Long story short, ports accepting ships are going to vary week to week depending on what's going on with covid-19, both on the ship as well as in the port itself. While NCL is showing shore excursions for Turks (which only appeared recently for current and close sailings), I've not heard anything about Turks re-opening to cruise ships since it closed in 2020. I was happy to see a post earlier today in which the Encore looks like it made port in St. Thomas, a port the Gem has skipped the last 2-3 sailings due to covid-19. If you do a Caribbean sailing soon the weather should be warm (70-80 degrees). It's just a matter of where you ultimately end up in terms of ports.

It can always be worse. There have been cruises down to the Bahamas during the summer which, due to a hurricane down that way end up heading north to Canada instead as it is the Captains duty to protect the passengers, crew and ship above all else.