Peace of Mind Credit = impossible to use

I wanted to share our unbelievable experience with NCL and their “Peace of Mind Credit”.  To summarize, it is fairly impossible to use.  
We had to cancel our cruise that was due to leave on Jan 23, 2022 due to one of our party testing positive for Covid (though asymptomatic).   
Here are the loopholes with using the Credit given from the “Peace of Mind” Policy.

1) The credit is divided up amongst the passengers based upon the deal when you booked.  Since the deals are changed, the payments for a new cruise would be different for each person than the credits given.

2) you cannot transfer a partial amount of the credit.  Only all. So my daughter a a 500 credit but her cost of booked on a new ship is $300.  We lose that $200.  

3) Credit m cannot be used for on board credit, meal packages etc, only fare, taxes, gratuity, some pre-purchased excursions.  That is it.

4) You can’t have them book airfare (to use some of that credit) unless you want to sail 90 days or more out, putting us in a completely different season in which our family is unable to take time off.

5) It takes 14 business days to get the credit.  So you cannot use it to rebook for -bout 3 weeks.

6) ncl will not do a courtesy hold on a trip while you wait for that credit to come.

So now we are stuck.  We are only able to cruise until the third week of March, but everything expires by Dec 2022.  We cannot book for another 2 weeks, so we cannot buy airfare until then.  By the , air far will be triple.  

This has been an eye opening experience and we are going to cancel all you’re bookings we had scheduled and let everyone know how awful our experience has been.  

Thank you Alison!  I have a cruise scheduled to leave 2/6 from San Juan on the Epic.  It hasn’t been cancelled, but every island we are scheduled to visit has been classified now as Level 4 do not travel to or visit unless necessary.  I don’t want to spend 7 days on a ship and high probability that we will not be allowed to visit any of the ports.  
I was not aware of any of the details you shed light on.  Thank you so much for sharing!  Hope you can find another vacation to take by March!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We also had to cancel due to a positive test. Our travel agent was amazing - we had FCCs that were going to expire at the end of January and she called to confirm they would be extended (before the announcement came out that all would). She explained we were planning to immediately rebook and we had our Peace of Mind credit back in about a week. We are rebooked and sailing 2 weeks later. 

One confusing thing - the money we paid for gratuities and airport transportation came back in the FCC. What we paid for dining was refunded to our credit card. 

We didn't use all of our credit and the travel agent was able to apply it to another trip in December we already had booked. All in all we were pleased. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 8:17 AM, Alison said:

I wanted to share our unbelievable experience with NCL and their “Peace of Mind Credit”.  To summarize, it is fairly impossible to use.  
We had to cancel our cruise that was due to leave on Jan 23, 2022 due to one of our party testing positive for Covid (though asymptomatic).   
Here are the loopholes with using the Credit given from the “Peace of Mind” Policy.

1) The credit is divided up amongst the passengers based upon the deal when you booked.  Since the deals are changed, the payments for a new cruise would be different for each person than the credits given.

2) you cannot transfer a partial amount of the credit.  Only all. So my daughter a a 500 credit but her cost of booked on a new ship is $300.  We lose that $200.  

3) Credit m cannot be used for on board credit, meal packages etc, only fare, taxes, gratuity, some pre-purchased excursions.  That is it.

4) You can’t have them book airfare (to use some of that credit) unless you want to sail 90 days or more out, putting us in a completely different season in which our family is unable to take time off.

5) It takes 14 business days to get the credit.  So you cannot use it to rebook for -bout 3 weeks.

6) ncl will not do a courtesy hold on a trip while you wait for that credit to come.

So now we are stuck.  We are only able to cruise until the third week of March, but everything expires by Dec 2022.  We cannot book for another 2 weeks, so we cannot buy airfare until then.  By the , air far will be triple.  

This has been an eye opening experience and we are going to cancel all you’re bookings we had scheduled and let everyone know how awful our experience has been.  

Thanks for that information.  We have had a recent problem with NCL, a bit different to yours.  Just after we paid our final payment, they reduced the fare by a whopping $2,000.  We have been refused either a refund, partial refund, future cruise credit, on board credit, excursion credit or anything else we suggested.  This is after cruising with NCL 7 times already.  Never again, we are going to Celebrity next time.

• 1 month later...

We've had a similar experience with NCL. By no fault of our own we can not get a refund on our cruise, only a credit in which they have eliminated 1/4 off of the price paid which has to be used by December. So, we'll have to pay the difference.  I'll  never book with NCL again. Rip off!

On 2/27/2022 at 7:56 PM, trina monley said:

either a refund, partial refund, future cruise credit, on board

I just had the same thing happen to me and my family! There are 8 of us going on a cruise next month- and the fare has gone down by $1000 just for my room alone. They do not care one bit!! So frustrating. Lesson learned. No more NCL for us!