Cruise Hive Boards

Entertainment

I've taken a cruise each on seascape and seaside. There was no karaoke competition on seaside but a robust karaoke show nightly on seascape...and lasnite night of the sailing was awesome.between the competitors...nothing so on the,seaside sailing

• Thanks 1

@georgie Thanks for sharing your entertainment experience onboard both MSC Seascape and MSC Seaside. I was unable to attend the karaoke show while onboard MSC Seascape. I will be cruising out this week on MSC Seashore, and I will keep my eyes peeled to see what karaoke options are offered onboard this upcoming itinerary. Do you typically participate in the karaoke options onboard you cruises? I have yet to participate in karaoke in front of others that aren't friends/family. I'm nervous to give it a try! 

I personally don't like karaoke myself. I would never attend such a show unless I was begrudgingly taken to one against my will. I have no issues with people enjoying themselves, and each to their own, if they get pleasure from getting up to sing in front of people, then good luck to them, but honestly, 90% of the people cannot sing. It's excruciating to hear at times, and I feel bad for them. Some are surprisingly good, beautiful voice but then is usually followed up by a drunken person who believes themselves to be the next Mariah Carey.

• Like 1

I'm with you. It's embarrassing to see sometimes. Fortunately if it gets to the point of no return, you can just get up and leave and go somewhere else where there is better entertainment. The beauty of cruise ships is you can go anywhere you want .

• Like 1

That is true. You can just get up and go, but sometimes I find when we go out for a night and you settle down in a place for entertainment. It's comfortable and happy staying there for the evening, you've enjoyed the atmosphere and the company and then karaoke starts and to me it has just ruined my evening, or a sign that the evening has ended. I probably won't go to another place after that, so I'd end up going home.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I tend to enjoy watching karaoke but not participating. If the crowd is too rowdy, I prefer to avoid the karaoke scene all together. It's much better when the guests are good singers! Watching the singers make a fool of themselves is not fun for me. I have noticed most cruise lines have a karaoke option onboard at least once a sailing. It seems like a popular thing to do when you are hyped up on your drink package. Live music by professionals is certainly more my thing. Now I can't get a drunken Mariah Carey solo out of my mind! I agree, that's really the worst. 

Yeah if it makes people happy, then go for it. What I don't like is when there is an act on and you thoroughly enjoy yourself, happy to remain and carry on drinking and then after the actual, the karaoke starts. That's frustrating. At least if they have the karaoke advertised at the beginning of the evening, I know to stay away from that place, not when I'm comfortable half way through the night. And a drunken Mariah Carey is a great idea. We should ask her to sing all her songs again, but this time smashed.

• Haha 1

@LukeJ I'm not a huge karaoke fan, but I will participate if it's the only entertainment option. If it's a wild bunch of drunks, I'm not interested to join, but I'm fine if the crowd is somewhat decent. There are usually better singing options onboard that don't include amateurs. I love to dance to live music, and karaoke just isn't it for me. Can you imagine dancing to drunken Mariah karaoke? I just want to run away before the song is even over! Guests really seem to get into the karaoke onboard. My last cruise was filled with a karaoke clique, unlike anything I had seen before. They were actually all descent singers thankfully. 

• 3 weeks later...

Where I come from, quiz is a very popular event. You will be lucky to get a seat if you're not there early enough. People love a competitive event, and it gives you a chance to have a good think.

@georgie After cruising on MSC Seashore last month, I can attest that karaoke onboard was seemingly endless. It was offered every single evening on my seven night cruise. Karaoke attracted a crowd every evening. Many singers weren't half bad and the events were mostly held at the uptown lounge on Deck 8. The chairs were so comfortable; I really enjoyed going to the karaoke events in the evening due to being in the lounge itself. I actually participated for the first (and likely only) time. It was cool to say I tried it once, but I don't like being on stage so I didn't love it. Some of the guests onboard really loved singing and being on stage. Half off them weren't even good singers, but they loved to do it anyways!

I'm with you on that, I don't like karaoke and especially getting up on stage. The same reason I'm not a fan of comedians and entertainers as they drag people up against their wills on stage. I don't like that type of thing, in the same vain as singers trying to drag people up to dance. If people want to dance, then they can go up and do it, but often I've seen people being bullied and shamed to get up, as well as singers walking through the crowds and shoving the microphone into people's faces. It's not for everyone, so I don't like that. Especially in today's age where anxiety affects people, this isn't entertaining.

@LukeJ I don't get the karaoke hype! I would rather stand up, improv comedy performed by guests. That would be the best. Also, can you imagine stand up comedy done at the bar by a brunch of intoxicated guests? It would be better than listening to drunken Mariah Carey. How about an onboard talent show? I would much prefer a variety show over the same crumby singers singing Adele and Jimmy Buffett over and over. Live music by a musician is great too, but the idea of guest participation could be fun too. Maybe they could throw in a mime. My last cruise itinerary had a few comical jugglers. I loved those acts the best! 

You could have a variety of entertainment, as long as the acts that want to get the audience involved are willing participants. I've seen it so many times, acts literally forcing people against their will up on the stage. Bullying them, even belittling them to do what they want them to do. And that totally ruins it for me then, and it even spoils the artist for me then, I see them in a different light.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ More guests than you think are interested to participate in these sort of activities. I love lively activities that don't necessarily involve mediocre singers. The quiz-style activities can be so fun. Anything that requires brain power or group interaction is nice. I like to feel engaged in the activity. When the group is divided into teams and battles head-to-head, it can be very thrilling and engaging. Karaoke can feel disengaging. I will listen to it while talking with friends, but I'm not going to sit and watch these guests as if it were some sort of worthy performance. 

@Cruising Caribbean yes in things like quizzes and such. I love participating in things like that. I can be competitive and I love the challenge of it all. What I'm speaking about is the singers and the comedy acts that force people who do not want to participate up on stage against their will. If it's a show of hands, and they volunteer themselves, then by all means continue. But I've seen singers pointing at people, they refuse and then they are still pulled up despite they clearly not wanting to due to peer pressure or sometimes physically pulled out of their chairs from the act. 

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ I understand better now. I honestly haven't ever felt forced to participate in any event onboard a cruise ship. It's pretty rare that any cruise would be forcing guests to participate on stage unless this just hasn't happened to me. Comedy acts are usually more enjoyable to me although if the singers are talented, I can enjoy a singing performance as well.  Singers and crew members that point and people and encourage them to participate can be pushy. It's their job to get the guests engaged but usually those guests are eagerly awaiting to participate. Have you been on a cruise where you felt forced to participate in an activity? If so, I'm interested to read all about it. The idea of someone being physically pulled to participate sounds very against policy and forceful. 

@Cruising Caribbean i haven't been on cruises where this incident has happened but on vacation somewhere and also in my home town it's happened several times. I'd just rather the act do their job and not try to get the crowd involved. I don't even like them engaging with the crowd. Maybe that's just me, a little fussy. If the act is good enough, then they won't need to have distractions, if they are good enough, they will hold the crowds attention anyway.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I am not surprised about this happening in a hometown, but on a cruise ship it shouldn't occur. Crowd engagement can be fun, but by no means should there be forced crowd engagement! I guess that's where we differ because I enjoy watching guests participate, but I don't be the one that actively participates, particularly if it requires stage presence. I don't enjoy stage presence. I don't like the lights or the microphones. Opting out of that type of experience is a no brainer for me, but I enjoy others happily engaging. It's true that crowd engagement isn't necessary for a really exceptional act, but not all acts onboard a cruise are exceptional. For a mediocre act, filler is sometimes needed to get me engaged. I have to ask, do you enjoy watching the guests compete onboard for certain challenges such as head-to-head challenges out by the pool? It's a hit or miss for me.

@Cruising Caribbean while out onboard, I don't tend to take much notice, as usually busy myself playing with the kids or having a little swim. It's just a fleeting distraction for me. It doesn't have the same concept for me than evenings when you are sitting down watching an entertainer. I again though am not a fan of them coming around trying to get people to participate. It's just too much sometimes. If we wanted to participate, we would get up and do it. So the idea of being harassed all the time every day really annoys me. We got involved once, and that seemed to be the worst thing because they made a beeline for you after that then. I'm no killjoy, but I'm on vacation, I work hard throughout the year and all I want to do is nothing and relax.

• Like 1

@LukeJ The fun ambiance and noise can be a treat but it can get rowdy pretty quickly. My kids think those poolside games are the best. I love that the fun comes directly to the pool, where mots guests want to be during the day. These games require lots of guest participation and can lead to others doing crazy things that draw others into the activity. That's right! If you wanted to participate you would do it. You don't need anyone pushing/forcing you to do it! I hope that never occurs on a cruise ship for you. The idea of doing nothing and relaxing is one of the biggest perks of cruising! Relaxing is key. Live poolside music is always a treat too, oftentimes better than the loudness from the interactive outdoor games. 

I used to work abroad in Greece so am not adverse to people having fun. It makes the vacation as you say, the more the merrier, however there are also people that are happy watching and doing nothing, so they should be left alone. I've even participated if there was a game of water polo, because I'm competitive and sporty. If there is dancing and messing around, then I'm happy to sit it out and watch. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I value this! No one should feel obligated to participate in events onboard. People watching those events can be fun, but not always entertaining. Just like any activity, those can get boring pretty quickly too. From what I'm gathering about you, you enjoy healthy, physical competition! Usually the bigger ships offer sport competitions, but you opt in to join and participate. No one is forcing you to participate but you join on your own free will, as you wish. These dancing and fooling around events tend to be those that have had plenty to drink out in the sun by the pool. I have seen some guests go wild for those activities, and it's clear they are in a different state-of-mind that where I am. When it get's loud and chaotic and I'm not in the mood, I usually try a different pool or area that has a bit more tranquility. The main pool is fun, but I'm not always in the mood for that. Sometimes I just want shade and a relatively quiet place to rest or read a book.

• Like 1

@3Sisters exactly right. I do love food healthy competition. I believe everyone should play some sports at some point, either individual like tennis, golf etc or a team building sport. It's good for the mind, health, anxiety. I believe sport is sometimes undervalued. It helps get confidence and builds friendship and team values.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ I love sports and moving your body, but I don't find the time to participate in them anymore. I played all thee sports as a kid from flag football to tennis and gymnastics. It's so healthy to participate in physical activity, challenging your body and mind, whether in an individual or team setting. Even the fun challenge of foosball onboard a cruise is a great way to engage with others in a healthy competition. I wish more kids would engage in team sports and physical activities instead of the constant video game/screen-centered interaction. Whenever I walk by the teen club the kids are always playing video games, sitting down in the dark. When I was a teen, I was forced to be outside and move my body! The times have changed.