Cruise Hive Boards

Entertainment

@3Sisters me and you both. I've never heard of the term flag football before so looked it up. It looks like rugby but without the contact. I love sports, and want to get involved with them all. Even if me and the wife are walking in the park and some are playing football, I'm itching to get involved. I agree completely with kids these days and the video games, I coach junior rugby, and the struggle I get every week for numbers is disgraceful to be honest because they aren't interested and want to be on screens. Same as you I was forced out of the house by my parents and grandparents. My grandmother would kick me and my siblings and cousins out of the house in the morning and tell us that she didn't want to see us again until it was time for food around 6pm. And we would go and play or go for an adventure, we would be gone for 8 hours and more. And we would all go back just as food was being plated.

• Like 1

@LukeJ Yes, since I'm not much into being tackled to the ground, flag football was a better option for me. It was co-ed when I was younger so that was nice too. I'm pretty sure I was the only girl on the team back then, but I enjoyed it. Picking football (or soccer when I live) is so easy to participate in. Most of my family enjoys playing soccer and will jump in games/create their own at random parks. My brother created his own drop in league. Since video games weren't so prominent back in the day, it was easier to just go outside and play with others. Now, kids don't just go out and play. At the parks, it's usually just the little ones and the bigger ones are cooped up in their houses on media related devices. Those were the good days! I want my children to enjoy those same adventures, but there aren't many other kids that are doing the same. My kids get about 1-2 hours of screen time a week. That is very low considering most other families. I don't stop them as much on vacation or at friends houses, but they get is sparsely and usually for educational purposes. Everyone is so hung up on tablets, televisions, phones, and gaming devices. It's not good for our children, especially when there are no limit. 

@3Sistersyes it definitely is the smartest option, I've broken most bones in my body playing competitive contact sports. And now I'm feeling it as I'm getting older. My son did get involved briefly in sports, however seemed to want to spend more time playing on the screens. Your kids getting 1-2 hours a week is incredible, and you're doing well to get that low. I have to compromise with my son. He doesn't go on screens Monday, Thursday and the days he goes on he could be on them for 3-5 hours throughout the whole day but has to come off for screen free time for a few hours at least.

• Like 1

@LukeJ That's wild. You sound like a rugby type of player. I preferred tennis and less contact, but you are a champ. I would imagine all of those fractures have taken a toll on your body! At least you do have a structure and a compromise. The idea of 3-5 hours without breaks drives me crazy if I'm being honest. It's so unproductive, unless your son is making money off of his play time, I would say he could bo doing better with that time. It's hard because as kids get older they start to make their own decisions. I have seen kids go to college and spend hours upon hours on the television playing games. It's all about balance so a little screen, a little outdoor time is more practical. I will try to keep the sceens to a minimum when I can, but I'm not going to lie, life is easier when I put my kids in front of their tablets.

• Like 1

I did play rugby for a long time, as well as soccer, (broke a few bones with that too), as well as many other sports in my time. I coach juniors now, and been injured even doing that 😞. I love the team mentality, being one and part of something always excited me. My son prefers the isolation rather than being part of a team. So we've played golf together and began paddle boarding together, so as long as he's doing something outdoors, I don't really mind if this is his path.

• Like 1

@LukeJ It's great that you were so active in your youth. What do you do to stay active now? I feel like golf doesn't count as much physical activity, especially if you have a golf cart. Team sports are so fun, especially if you aren't motivated to remain active without others involved. That's why group fitness classes are so popular. Many women don't want to exercise unless they are in a group. I'm happy to just workout on my own. Otherwise I have to rely on others to show up to get my workout in. I'm self-motivated so I don't require the accountability of others but many people do. Golf is a good time in the sun and a great way to bond with your son! I love that you take the time to do that with him. It will be something he looks back on and remember fondly. 

I tend to do a lot of walking these days, and I go to the gym, which is good for mental health also. I don't play sports as much anymore, body won't let me, but when the season is in, golf is my go to activity. I don't use golf carts, we will always walk. Can cover up to 15,000 steps on a good day. So if we play a couple times a week, that helps loosen me up too. I coach the rugby as I mention, and that keeps me active as I get involved in training not just stand on the side. I occasionally coach the soccer team, and get involved too with that, but not as much. I'm desperate to create memories with my son as I missed a chunk of him growing up because I was forever working as a chef, so didn't see him.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I'm right there with you. Walking is the best. It's easy to do anywhere and with pretty much anyone. I love the convenience of walking because you don't need any special equipment, just a decent pair of sneakers. I have a treadmill so walking is more convenient than every before, even when the weather is bad. Getting outside is important though, so I walk outside when I can. Golfing is a great way to stay social, relatively active, and get your vitamin D. I think 15,000 steps is awesome. In fact my husband is going to the driving range after work. It's one of his favorite ways to decompress. The life of a chef is tough! I can't imagine working on your feet that much on top sports injuries as a child. You have been so physical most of your life! Are you the chef in your home too? I'm the chef in my home, the one expected to feed everyone. It's fun, but I run out of ideas quite often. I don't go out to eat much so I have to continually try and switch things up so they don't get bland. 

@Cruising Caribbean me and my wife tend to go for a walk as often as we can . Even for a half hour if the weather is not great. It just helps keep us fitter. Some people I know will drive to a shop that is a mile away, I personally don't see why you can't just walk there. Yeah I've tried to keep in good shape and I was used to standing all throughout the day. Since I've stopped, it hurts if I sit down too long and I need to get up and move about. I don't tend to chef much in the house, all those years have put me off I guess. I do tend to try and keep my hand in and not leave it all to my wife, but our tastes differ, and my wife prefers bland foods with no flavour, so I usually don't even participate in getting into an argument and I leave her to it.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I miss a good evening walk! I haven't done that in so long! It has been hanging at the park, watching the kids lately. I love the idea of just walking but chasing my kids on bikes or dragging them as they walk isn't so pleasant. Unless the weather is crumby or you are in a rush, I agree that walking a mile down the road is a no brainer. Your body is so used to being active it won't let you sit down for too long! Flights/long drives must be uncomfortable for you. I'm definitely not a bland person. My kids sometimes prefer bland or their favorite sauce, but I love all the flavors! I can always tell when my husband doesn't like my meal when he asks me to grab him the hot sauce. I guess if he drowns it enough in hot sauce, he won't even be able to taste it! 

Yeah I'm not a fan of sauce, much prefer the flavours that come from the actual dish. People say they don't like the taste of salt, if you can taste salt in your food, then you have over seasoned. Salt brings the flavours out, not ruin it. Most find bland food acceptable these days, and if there is a slight flavour in it, they believe it's salt not the actual flavour they can taste. 

• Confused 1

@LukeJ Coming from the US, I don't think I have ever heard anyone say they dislike the taste of salt! Everything is salted to the max here. I have friends that have salt all over, and the new popular kind of salt is "flaky salt." Flaky salt is meant for everything, even on desserts and baked goods to balance out the sweetness. Salt is very important to my culture. I choose the lightly salted chips and so forth when I can but there isn't always an option. The cheese here are overly salted too! My last MSC Cruises' itinerary I realized the bread is served with butter, and there is salted for the "Americans" and unsalted for the Europeans. I only wanted the salted butter, along with everyone in my family but that's not the norm in other countries. I like most all flavors and seasonings. It brings food to life! What are some spices most used in your cuisine?

• Like 1

I didn't realise that salt was so big in your diets. I season my food when I cook, I don't tend to put salt on my food after the cooking process. I love spices, and can use them in most things I cook. I grow fresh herbs too, and I love using them in my dishes also. Paprika is a favourite of mine, and pepper. I do love a hot and then a bit of a kick in my food. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I don't salt the food after it's done being cooked because I season it to my liking during the cooking process. I find the US diet to be overly salted and the sodium content to be excessive. Most all food, particularly pre-packaged and highly processed foods are very sodium dense. It's the same with the added sugars. Added sugars are off the charts here, but our food standards like likely lower than in Europe. I wish I had space to grow herbs! That's my goal once I move out of my townhome. I would love to try and grow my own organic produce. 

Yeah, added sugars are what we are all guilty for I guess. I know I'm one for sweets, and part of my diet will probably contain sugars. I do try to make up for that, by compensating for good nutritious foods in between and days where I will eat nothing but healthy foods. Herbs are fantastic and so easy to grow. You don't need a large area, you can grow some on your window sill in small pots if you are short of space.

@LukeJ That's such a cool career path, being a chef. My mom was a pastry chef growing up and I definitely indulged in my fair share of sweets! I wish that I was half the chef my mom was when I was growing up. I try to keep up, but she just has natural talent I don't have. Recipes get me by. I also would love to start growing my own herbs. Basil was the only thing I was able to keep alive, but I grew it inside my home in a window sill. I need to be better at keeping my plants alive. Sometimes I forget to upkeep them. What is one herb that is easy for you to grow and doesn't die very easily? 

@3Sisters oh that sounds brilliant that you would have had some great sweets growing up with your mum as a chef. I can only imagine what pastries she would be making. Delicious. The herbs are easy, and mint has to be my all time favourite, alongside rosemary. Mint grows like a weed and can dominate the garden, so it's best to keep it contained. But fresh mint in your diet is stunning. The smell, the taste of it is my all time favourite. Sometimes I just rub my fingers on the leaves of mint and rosemary and just smell it.

• Like 1

@LukeJ Yes, but what's funny is she is gluten-free and rarely ate anything she made. Me and my friends were savages eating her cookies and brownies she made weekly as teens. She was definitely one to feed the masses. I try to buy healthy mixes and replicate what she did for me and my brother growing up, always having a baked good available to taste. It's hard to keep up with the type of mother she was. Her house was always so clean, so much cleaner than mine now.
 haven't tried growing mint before, but I could see rosemary thriving on my balcony in the non-snowy months. I love how rosemary pairs with meats and breads. How do you typically use your mint? I typically put it in my water, but I don't usually cook with it outside of seasonal sweets here and there. I know mint is really great for your digestive system so I would love to use it more in my savory dishes. 

@3Sisters that's great memories you have with your mother, I like that positive thoughts. My nan used to be the same, always making us food and treats. Really were spoilt and brings out a warm glow when thinking about those days. Mint is fantastic and versatile. You can definitely drink it as a hot drink and it does help your digestive system. It would make the room smell nice also. I used it in most meat dishes I prepare. Finely chop it and add to the cooking process. I even make a sauce out of it, with vinegar and a bit of sugar with the finely chopped mint and sprinkle it over my meat.

• Like 1

@LukeJ It really was a great time in life to create those memories with her! Sometimes she does the same with my children and it's such a nostalgic feeling. I do enjoy mint tea, but I get the prepackaged tea bags. Seasonal mint chocolate hot cocoa is delicious too. I have yet to use mint with meat! I would have never thought to add it into a sauce for my meat either. Do you enjoy mint jelly? I have heard of that but have yet to try it. I think it's supposed to be on toast. 

It really was a wonderful time of my life. I will always cherish them. My grandmother would spoil us and treat us all with all of our favourite things. (Feel free to sing the song). I haven't tried mint jelly for toast, that would be something we would use for meats if you don't make your own. We could add it to gravy, for extra flavours.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ You actually did cue that song in my mind! That's too funny. I love that you had the opportunity to live close to family. It can be a blessing, and occasionally a nuisance, to have family live nearby. It's something that isn't common practice anymore. I actually don't live near any of my children's grandparents right now. I have seen mint jelly at the store, but I'm so used to fruit jellies I haven't gone out of my way to explore it. I'm going to have to try mint on my meat in the coming weeks and report back to you with my synopsis of the experience. You are a chef, so I take your word for it! 

@3Sisters oh please do, I love hearing about people's culinary experiences. Fresh is always king in my eyes, however I myself still would use bottled variants if needed. I find it does add another layer to tastes and I'm all for that myself 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I have never seen bottled mint! The closest thing I have seen to that is dried, like in tea bags. Unfortunately I typically shop at a bulk grocery store for my large family and I haven't seen it sold there, but I will venture to aa smaller grocer in the coming weeks to scoop some up. I really enjoy culinary as well, but I'm just not as good at it. I'm hoping my husband will smoke some meat on the grill this weekend! If he does that then I can just focus on the sides. Do you smoke meat at home? It's definitely a labor of love. Once reason I love cruising so much is to get culinary ideas! I love when the food options are from around the world, it gives me ideas on what to cook at home. My menus can get bland very quickly.