NCL Getaway Potential Itinerary Change

Hello - I am wondering if anyone has any idea how NCL might change up the 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise itinerary if they cancel Bermuda.  Currently the plan is to have Bermuda be the first stop which breaks up the days at sea.  The sailing this week (Feb 6) had the reverse itinerary with Bermuda scheduled to be the last stop and instead due to weather they stopped in the Bahamas on the way down and stayed a few more hours longer in St. Thomas - with three days at sea on the way home instead of the planned two.  Our sailing has Bermuda first, then St. Maarten, Tortola, San Juan and Puerto Plata.  I can't figure out how they would change that up if they had to cancel Bermuda first.  Wondering if anyone has any insight.

• Like 1

@rookiecruiser Without Bermuda, it's hard to believe you will stop anywhere instead. There aren't many options nearby, and I'm assuming you will be looking at many sea days in concession without a stop. NCL is notorious for skipping stops that don't end up being replaced in any way. That's a pretty fun itinerary aside from the potential missed stop!  I love the length of the itinerary too; ten days is perfect. Unfortunately, I have read that the weather has been poor, but NCL will more than likely end up not replacing this port of call. You may be spending some extra time at onboard pools instead. Will this be your first time on Norwegian Getaway? 

@3sisters - thank you!  This will be our first time on the Getaway.  And really first time cruising.  Did a Boston to Bermuda 5 day many many years ago.  First traditional island hopping cruise.  I am not so concerned about missing Bermuda - as I've been there but also the weather isn't great like the other islands.  That was my concern - since Bermuda is so much farther away from the other islands.  I couldn't imagine Bahamas or Florida would give us enough time to get back over to St. Maarten.  We will of course make the most of it.  I'm not so excited for what I assume will now be two full days at sea to get to our second (now first stop) St. Maarten.....or is it three?  

@rookiecruiser I think you will absolutely love the ship. I have only heard great things about it actually. image.thumb.png.a432c3398e197c98f5c6f9d102d7e06a.pngNorwegian Getaway has so many different complimentary restaurants onboard, more than most ships out there right now.

https://www.cruisehive.com/things-to-know-about-the-norwegian-getaway-cruise-ship/39674 

I would imagine if the ship decides to pivot its itinerary, you won't know until you get onboard. Like you said, just try to make the best of it, but it would be nice to hop off there to break up the sea days. Florida could be an option, but I find that swap unlikely. Once you find out any changes, I hope you share with us! It could give other cruisers some good insight as to what to expect with their upcoming itineraries. When do you cruise out? It should be any day now! Are you all packed up and ready? 

Will do for sure!  We have two little ones (9 and 6) - who are beyond excited....so I am honestly not worried about finding fun on the ship and enjoying those amenities.  We leave on Friday!  Wish us good weather and easy sailing - I have every possible sea sickness remedy just in case (bands, bonine, dramamine, patches)!  I will definitely check back in - maybe after we return if the WIFI isn't great - and update everyone so they have some intel for the future.  Thanks for the quick reply.  

• Like 1

I don't understand why NCL keeps putting Bermuda on this itinerary because the ship hardly ever stops there.  We have had the same thing happen to us and ended up with 3 sea days home.  By day 3 it was unbearable because the outside weather was very cold and windy.  One would think the ship would cruise around in the warm weather longer but no, the Captain booked it to NY.  The North Atlanric is unforgiving in Feb/March.  Pack good books and crossword puzzles.  We are leaving on 2/26 on the same cruise and keeping our fingers crossed that we stop in Bermuda on the way down.  We took this date because no matter what, it is 2 sea days home from Puerta Plata.  

• Thanks 1

Last year we went at the same time on this cruise.  Bermuda was supposed to be the last stop after Tortola but we were informed that we were not going due to weather.  It was 3 sea days home. Too much for us.  This time Bermuda is on the way down.  I assume if we miss it - at least we will be in warm weather for the extra day.  Either way, the last stop is Puerta Plaza and then 2 sea days home.  We have been on the Getaway many times.  It is a beautiful, fun ship.  I know you will love it as there is tons to do for your children and you.  The shows are great!   Even if we skip Bermuda - the arrival time at St. Maarten is 1pm.  The ship will not arrive any sooner.  I will be watchig to see if you stop in Bermuda - I watch the port on PTZ TV webcam.  Have fun!!

• Thanks 1

@rookiecruiser I would invest in the prepaid arcade package if you still have the opportunity before you embark. Otherwise you can always find an arcade package deal while onboard. This is something that you will likely get your money's worth out of. I also think these waterslides will offer plenty of entertainment for your little ones. The arcade is perfect for a rainy day. They will enjoy the kids club too! There are always lots of fun things to do for the kids through the onboard kids club program. Have they cruised onboard an NCL ship before? 

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/arcade-package

@bombarc Ok and same itinerary for us.  I didn't think there would be an alternative with Bermuda cut at the beginning - and like you said, plenty to do and good that any extra day will be in hopefully warmer weather!  Thanks again!

We didn't pre-book the arcade but were planning on doing that, and kids club when we get on!  This will be all of our first time - so we are excited and will make the most of it!  

• Like 1

We are taking the Feb. 16th trip on the Getaway. My gut feeling is they will skip Bermuda due to weather and will cruise straight down toward Saint Maartin. Which means we will arrive a day early, meaning an extended port stay. Or they will make a different port for Monday, then visit Saint Maartin on Tuesday as scheduled.

• Like 1

@bombarc I agree with you. I doubt Bermuda will be replaced; it's highly unlikely. There just aren't many other options nearby and it can be really difficult to make another pivot last minute due to weather. 

@rookiecruiser Considering this is your first cruise, you kids will absolutely love the kids club onboard. There are entertainment options for them pretty much all day every day. If you throw in the pool and the arcade, your kids will be more than entertained! They will love the evening shows too. My younger children even enjoy the nightly shows. They are very interactive!

@Howard Your feeling is likely correct based on your track record. It sounds like you may have experienced this before in the past. It would be annoying to have to skip Bermuda but it almost seems more likely than not. It's a really fun stop so hopefully you will be one of the NCL cruise itineraries that actually makes it there!