Bye-Bye Ben & Jerry's...Hello Blue Bell???

@Woody14 No apologies for being Canadian! I love Canadians. Yes, you are correct, minimum wage is the lowest amount you can get paid per hour legally. The minimum wage doesn't apply to the waiters/waitresses because they are assumably making more due to tipping. A server will make something much lower and then receive tips on top of that to make up the difference. Typically in the US, this ends up being a good deal because you get good tips to compensate for that lower hourly wage. The idea is the tips have you actually making well above the typical minimum. I think all wages should be livable amounts. That just makes sense. You can't work a 40-50 hour work week to discover you aren't making ends meet to at least pay for a small rent and minimal necessities. Everyone should be able to at least get the essentials. We all deserve a minimal lifestyle if we work hard/diligently and play by the rules. Don't you agree? 

It all depends on your perspective really, and that's why a lot of employers get away with it. Instead of hourly rates, many offer salaries. So if you're under the impression of earning £1200 per month salaried as advertised, then 35/40 hours per week works out as £7.50 per hour. Because you are salaried, they try to make you work longer, so even an extra 10 hours would put your pay down to £6. If they were advised as per hour for £10 per hour, then the same hours would pay you £1600 for 40 hour week, and 50 hour is £2000, so employers would save £800 per worker per month 

• Like 1

@LukeJ very true. I will try my best to avoid salaried jobs if I can help it, especially for a smaller company that doesn't have the same ethics as big companies, that will keep to the rule of employment law. I can see how salaries were first introduced, it can be perceived to be better for employees to budget accordingly and know exactly how much they were earning each month, some people need that security. However others who claim that it's swings both ways that you get paid the same whether you do more or less than the contracted hours given and averaged is wrong with most companies. If you are salaried, believe me, companies will try and get you to work as many hours as you possibly can just not to spend anymore on wages.

@Woody14 Thanks for sharing your Canadian perspective. Out of most places around the world, the US is one of those countries that tips pretty generously, more than most. Since the US is a melting pot and lots of visitors and foreign residents are here, not everyone knows the tipping expectation. It's something that has to be learned, and it definitely jacks up the price of your meal. I think that's why fast food companies are so desired and popular. People want to go out to eat, not having to cook food at home, but pay a lower price without having to tip. Even when you go to a simple drive through coffee shop, you are encouraged to tip. I don't really enjoy tipping for a coffee or a tea at a drive through. I despise it so much I avoid going out for coffee at all costs. I'm an avid coffee drinker (daily), but I probably go out for a drink once a year. That's only because I'm traveling all night and have no option to make it elsewhere. Spending on drinks is such a money waster. I only want to spend on drinks if I'm on a cruise ship. I'm willing to dish out more while on a cruise vacation.

@PaulB I'm lucky in retrospect that I can be self employed and invoice people accordingly and get paid that way. There is also pro and cons for that too. As long as you keep the work rolling, it will always cover you in that. But I totally agree with you on salaried jobs, they will take advantage of you in no uncertain terms. 

• Like 2

@LukeJ I would say majority of the world dreams of being self-employed! Not having to report to anyone but yourself sounds nice, but that status holds a lot of responsibility. My husband would love to try something he could grow and control him self, being self-employed, but I'm afraid the time and energy commitment would become overwhelming. I can imagine you are a really fair business owner and treat your employees with kindness and respect. After having been poorly treated in the past, I'm sure you are a pleasure to work for in comparison. That's how you keep exceptional employees anyhow! If an employee isn't being treated fairly, they won't stay. If you treat others with respect, they will do the same and remain endlessly loyal and committed to you and your business. 

• Like 1

I used to be a boss in some restaurants, and I'd like to think that I was fair. Everyone was treated the same, I would never ask someone to do something I myself wouldnt do. I'd give someone a perk before I would give myself that same privilege and that was anyone can see I was totally fair. I myself wouldnt never demand respect, I would have to earn it, as well as their trust. 

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ I love that! Respect and trust are earned. It takes time to develop those things. I'm sure you were en excellent boss.

It also takes time to develop trust and respect for cruise lines. When you loose respect/faith in a cruise line, your loyalty to the line is gone. Sometimes cruise lines don't treat guests fairly or aren't consistent enough. That's when guests branch out to other lines and try something new. It's really important for cruise lines to remain consistent. If there isn't consistency and integrity, guests will stop cruising with that line. On the slip side, when you fall in love with a cruise line, it's hard to look anywhere else! I have yet to have a bad cruise experience, but I have been very happy with RCL and MSC Cruises thus far. CCL is alright too, but I prefer a more tranquil line. I love the fun and amenities, but I can also appreciate some peace and quiet on the outer decks. 

• Like 1

Everyone is different in what they like in their bosses. Some love their boss to be hard-nosed, know what they want and demand results. I guess that's what keeps them in line. Others like the nicer approach, where they get a pat on the back and a more subtle approach. So I understand how there is not a complete right way to manage someone. Same as cruise ships, some people like how some ships are different to the other ships. It's all how you perceived things I guess. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ That's true. Everyone has a preference, but mutually I believe everyone wants to be shown respect. No matter what the leadership style is, being ethical and respectful are common traits that all employees appreciate. Personally, I prefer a results-driven approach but kindness at the same time. I have had discouraging bosses in the past. When you make a mistake they dwell on the issue and don't lead you toward avoiding the error. I don't like then bosses are discouraging without giving productive feedback so I can correct the issue. It's just not fair to leave you high and dry with unrealistic expectations. I'm always open to change and advancement, but it's also nice to know you have a boss that supports your growth verses knocking you down. 

I agree 100% with you @Cruising Caribbean. It is difficult to manage, but one thing I've noticed if you take time out to observe and know how each of your employee differ, then you can be the best boss. If you know that some need coaxing, you can do that. If you know that certain people require challenges , then you can work to their needs. Not every person can succeed the same way. It's just being observant and respectful.

• Like 1

@LukeJ You are right! Everyone is so different and unique in their own ways. In term of child rearing, no two children are alike! I have learned that my parenting styles need to shift for each child because they are respond so differently depending on the discipline style. Being a boss is lots like being a parent in terms of having to connect with them on a subordinary level. Some people are more motivated to succeed or are more likely to succeed if you manage them with their preferred style. You can't be a chameleon and mold to everyone, but sometimes the littlest gestures make the biggest impact in an employees performance. I'm sure you have an example of that! You are a seasoned boss, and I love your outlook.

Edited by 3Sisters

@3Sisters thank you very much. Even your compliments have made me feel better, so it goes to show that different approaches work. I've always stated that running a household is very much like running a business. Trying to find the best company for you to pay cheaper bills, managing day to day running, keeping on top of the maintenance of the place, is like a full-time job. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I think I may know what managerial style may resonate well with you then. I'm glad you appreciated my compliments. They were genuine and sincere. Running a household is the most underrated thing, almost as underrated as parenting. We live in a society where no one wants to parent anymore! It's often seen as inferior to be your child's full-time caretaker. I don't get it, but that's the way first-world society has shifted. I personally opt to stay home with my family and care for my household in a never ending way. I don't get paid to do it, but I prefer to do those "menial" things everyday because I value that for my family. I have the capability of sending my kids to school and hiring help to clean my home/care for my children. My family would happen to be more well-off in terms of finances if I chose this, but I don't value finances above caring for my family. It's a sacrifice of finances and freedom, but it's indeed the most important job to raise your kids/care for your home your way. My motto is, if you aren't able/willing to give your kids your all, including lots of dedicated patience/time/energy, then you may reconsider the idea of parenting at the time. It's totally fine to not want to make such a sacrifice, but if you aren't wanting to make those sacrifices don't do it. 

That's why I don't have a pet! I have friends that are the best of pet owners, but that just could never be me. I'm not going to take my pet out to dinner with me. It won't get a stocking under my tree at this stage in my life. 

@3Sisters absolutely spot on. I myself do not have a pet, there is absolutely no chance. I'm not an animal lover the best of times, and I hate seeing unresponsible people with pets too. 

Sometimes I may have to take a day off from work just to reorganise the paperwork for the house and ring around to get better deals for our bill payments. I'm not sure if it happens in the US, however in the good old "rip off Britain", contracts don't actually mean anything to companies. If we sign up to a consumer, ie phone company, we sign up mostly because of the agreed price you require to pay. Suddenly a few months later, there is a price increase, all blamed because of inflation. Surely this is a breach of contract? I didn't agree to this raise. I agreed the original price, however this simply goes unnoticed and companies shrug your complaints off.

• Like 1

@LukeJ Speaking of animal lovers, how do you feel about dogs on cruise ships? I personally don't care as long as they aren't in my way or taking over public spaces. I don't want to have to deal with pet odors or fowl pet behaviors anywhere, but other than that I'm fine with that. I would rather see someone with an emotional support dog than pose their erratic behaviors on me. 

The paperwork and back-end finances can be tasking and time consuming. The worst is when you have to make phone calls to cancel services. I have such a problem with waiting on the phone for over an hour just to cancel a service or troubleshoot a billing error. It feels like such a waste of time! Getting though to companies with your valid complaints is a huge issue. I can't stand when I have to be transferred to 1,000 departments to correct an error. It happens all too much in the US too.

@3Sisters it's a bug bear of mine having animals or dogs in places. I may start a revolt conversation, however I personally don't think they should be allowed. I agree and understand guide dogs, no issues there, however bringing pets on board is a huge no no for me. Same as restaurants allowing dogs in their places, that is a massive problem in my eyes. Surely you can keep your dog in the house in the amount of time it takes you to go out to eat or drink. As a chef, we have to go through rigorous proceedings with the environmental and food hygiene to make sure that protocols and hygiene are followed to the letter, but then it's ok to have a dog full of hairs, and termites to roam around. Baffles me.