Cruise Hive Boards

David

David Chavez

Why do cruise ship don't have hardly anything excursions for seniors to do? Not everyone likes the water, climbing  etc....(for medical reasons or any reasons)...I have been on a few cruises NCL and carnival. They Don't take in consideration that seniors go on cruises too. Cruises need more sightseeing excursions for seniors...

• Like 1

@David Chavez I suggest that NCL, CCL, and perhaps MSC and RCL are all about 'family fun' vacations with active shore excursions. If you look to 'the senior crowd' cruise ships (Holland America, Celebrity, Princess), you should find less active (bus tours come to mind) shore excursions. As a senior I still cruise CCL occasionally, but also the other lines I mentioned. 

• Like 1

@David Chavez Many of the mainstream cruise lines are definitely geared towards family fun and all-age activities. I second what @kefthecruiser says, NCL and Princess Cruises could be better options for an older adult lifestyle. These cruise lines have more excursion options that are geared toward an adult crowd. Have you cruised with Princess Cruises before? I think you may really enjoy the style of cruising and excursion options available, catering to less physically intensive crowds. The smaller ships also offer a more peaceful atmosphere for older guests who don't care to wait in line at the buffet or arcade. 

• Like 1

@kefthecruiser I'm so glad I could amuse you! I mean it; I wouldn't want to be waiting in line at the buffet once I get older. I'm still middle-aged but once I'm retired, I want ease and convenience. If I barely care about the arcade and VR now, I can't imagine what my older adult years will bring. You can catch me with the Medallion service, having unlimited drinks and food brought to me at any area of the ship. Now that's the way to cruise in style! 

And we wonder why foreigners refer to us as fat lazy americans. I recall a transatlantic cruise I went on with mostly Europeans.  Most excursions were active excursions filled by these 60+ year old Europeans with their walking sticks. I was only about 40 at the time - one of the youngest on the excursions, and the seniors were keeping up or passing me while walking thru deserts and up to the top of volcano rims(Lanzarote). We as Americans need to be more active in order to stay healthier! 

• Like 2

@FJB It's hard to say everyone would agree with your active is best mindset, but I certainly do! I have a very active lifestyle so that perspective resonates with me, but for those who aren't as active, hiking at 60+ doesn't sound as appealing. Hopefully, I am one of those who is able to continue my adventuring into older adulthood. It sounds you certainly will be! 

@LukeJ That armchair depiction reminds me of my grandfather too. He was a cigar and armchair kind of man. We will see if history repeats itself with my husband. He enjoys watching television. I watch t.v. about 3 times a year. I'm more of a get-up-and-go personality type!

• Like 1

@Cruising Caribbean Everyone enjoys different things! You probably could opt out of the cigar life and still enjoy the recliner. You can always watch your favorite sports in your recliner. I would imagine you enjoy having your recliner for that very purpose. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think a stateroom with a recliner may attract some cruise guests. This may be a good addition to certain Princess Cruises or NCL staterooms. I can just see it now, "Unlimited Room Service and Recliner Mini Suite." 

As much as I hope to be an active older adult, I'm also realistic. If I have a bad hip or knee, you probably won't catch me hiking. I bet I will do more poolside stretching and a bloody mary with breakfast instead. Who knows?

• Haha 1

On 9/6/2023 at 10:49 PM, David Chavez said:

Not everyone likes the water,

But they are on a cruise?  I know people who blame things on their age, when it's some physical malady (self inflicted or not) that is slowing them down not their age. I think they should be eligible for and make use of the handicapped offerings.

• Haha 1

I'm a big believer in mind of matter as I've done it myself many times. You almost force yourself to divert your attention onto something else. Best case if you ever find yourself in plaster at some point (I hope you don't find yourself in one), however, and you get an itch, force yourself to think about something else and you'll soon forget about that itch in no time.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I definitely think you should somewhat enjoy the water if you are opting for a cruise vacation, but I don't think you need to have an adventure-first mindset. I'm someone who is always active and nonstop. The idea of vacation for me could include adventurous excursions but it could also include unlimited spa access and room service. That's why different cruise lines offer a variety of things that cater to various interests. For example, if I'm cruising with my kids I'm looking for family-friendly options, but if I want a getaway with just my significant other, Princess Cruises sounds pretty great.

@David Chavez These "foodie" cruises sound really fun for those not fond of the lines at the buffet! 

• Thanks 1

I guess it all depends on the people that you are with on vacation too. If it's a family vacation, then maybe excursions and fun games is the way forward. However, if you are chilling with a partner or on your own, you can go for more of the relaxing and drinking vacation with a spot of sightseeing.

@LukeJ That's a shame. It sounds like if you cruise with your family you need a vacation afterward to decompress from a family cruise. I love the idea of leaving my phone behind, but I always bring it along for the pictures! I don't need the wifi or any cell service, I just utilize the camera. You will save plenty if you don't get the wifi package, and your level of relaxation will be so much deeper!

Yeah I take my camera just not my phone. And that way I can unwind and not get distracted from the life of the phones. In days gone by, I used to switch off my phone for a couple of days just to get away from things. But everything is on your phones now, apps like banking and everything, so I can't see it being viable now.

• Like 1

@LukeJ That's the best way to do it. Call me lazy, but it always takes so much time to transfer the photos from a separate camera. I'm so accustomed to the convenience of the cloud, that using my phone ends up being the fastest. However, the photo quality is usually better on a separate camera. The apps, including banking, are very conveniently located nowadays. I don't feel the need for that while cruising because I usually bring plenty of cash and keep it in the safe onboard. I'm assuming that where you keep your phone while cruising, in the stateroom safe!

@LukeJ It's likely very safe in your stateroom! I have a fun story for you. The last cruise I was on my husband accidently locked himself out of his safe. He was very calm about it and said he "had done it before." I guess messing with it after a night of drinking isn't an optimal idea. He had to do the call of shame in the morning asking them to come open it up for him because he "forgot the code he changed it to last night." You have to love that all-inclusive drink package!

• Haha 1