Cruise Hive Boards

Ruby Princess Collides With Pier

@kefthecruiser I'm just following up with this article now! https://www.cruisehive.com/princess-cruises-ship-damaged-after-striking-pier/105703

What in the world, both the ship and the San Francisco port were damaged. Thankfully no one was injured but I'm sure this incident shook things up onboard. It's one big vessel to navigate but this is going to take time to patch up. I guess Ruby Princess will just continue on its route considering the operating system are still intact. 

@Jim Lamb oh well spotted 🤣🤣🤣. However the incident itself is quite worrying, and luckily nobody was injured - other than the insurance man paying out the expenditure of the maintenance. It just goes to show how accurate you have to be and concentration levels need to be top on every occasion.

Here's the latest statement from Princess Cruises, which we just received:

Following today’s inspection by the U.S. Coast Guard, Princess Cruises has been advised that Ruby Princess will be cleared to sail once the area damaged in yesterday’s incident in San Francisco has been fully repaired.

Repairs are underway and our technical experts estimate that repairs are likely to take upwards of 24 hours, and the new estimated departure time from San Francisco is 1600 local time on Sunday, July 9.

As a result, the itinerary for Ruby Princess is being revised and the ship will now sail a 7-day Pacific Northwest/Alaska voyage, visiting Ketchikan on July 12 and Prince Rupert on July 13, returning to San Francisco on July 16 for disembarkation as originally scheduled. Guests will be free to come and go from the ship while alongside in San Francisco beginning this afternoon.

Princess has considered all possible alternatives and has selected this itinerary to preserve as much of our guests’ precious vacation time as possible. We deeply regret the disappointment the delays have caused and appreciate our guests’ understanding as we manage this unexpected situation.

Guests who elect to cancel their cruise will receive a 100% refund of their cruise fare, post-cruise hotel packages and transfers booked through Princess, prepaid shore excursions and other prepaid items and taxes, fees and port expenses. Each guest will also receive a 50% Future Cruise Credit of the cruise fare  paid on this voyage, which may be applied to any future Princess cruise that is booked by February 1, 2024 and sails by February 1, 2025. They may remain onboard until 1100 local time on Sunday, July 9 to better assist with alternative plans they may be making.

Guest who will continue with their Princess vacation will receive a 75% refund of the cruise fare paid as well as unused pre-paid shore excursions booked through Princess and the refundable portion of the taxes, fees and port expenses for the missed ports. Each guest will also receive a 75% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage, which may be applied to any future Princess cruise that is booked by February 1, 2024 and sails by February 1, 2025.

Upon arrival to San Francisco on July 6, Ruby Princess made unexpected contact with the dock at Pier 27 as she was returning from a 10-day roundtrip Alaska voyage. There were no injuries and at no time were any of the guests or crew on board in danger. Ruby Princess now has 3328 guests and 1161 crew onboard.

We've also got a full report right here: https://www.cruisehive.com/damaged-ruby-princess-to-depart-on-revised-itinerary/105913

• Like 1

@kefthecruiser It's such a bummer Ruby Princess took so long to get out of the port after the collision! I wouldn't have imagined it taking so long, really impeding that cruise itinerary.  

https://www.cruisehive.com/ruby-princess-finally-departing-san-francisco-after-collision/105977

The current itinerary had to skip visiting Sitka, Glacier Bay, and Juneau and is currently planning on stopping in Ketchikan on July 12.  Ruby Princess plans to make it to California on July 16, following its originally slated itinerary. 

@3Sisters This definitely falls in the category of better be safe than sorry. I'm glad to see the Coast Guard requiring repairs. The passengers certainly had a different cruise than planned. I'd say Princess Cruise really stepped up to the challenge with their reimbursements and FCC, whether you left the ship or continued with the cruise.

• Like 1

@kefthecruiser I totally agree with you there. It's really imperative that the U.S. Coast Guard ensures all of the repairs were done properly. Unfortunately, the process just seemed to take so long! At least the guests were safe, but I bet this poor captain is going to be so very cautious at every other port of call from now on. I'm glad Princess Cruises properly compensated its guests. It's not every day that you read cruise lines are literally paying for their mistakes. 

• 2 weeks later...

As disappointed the guest may be because it hinders their vacation, it's best to be safe. But I agree with @Jim LambI'd hate to be the one responsible there. I'm sure they feel awful, however a telling off was probably what he was expecting to happen from the powers to be. 

One thing is for sure, being a captain holds so much responsibility. Technically the captain is responsible for the safety of everyone onboard, and if anything goes wrong it falls on that person's shoulders. I wouldn't want that responsibility. The captain could have been rushing to dock because the itinerary was behind schedule and then this happens. I can't imagine having to maneuver this massive ship in moving water.... It takes many different people to dock such a massive vessel like this.

Unfortunately it's the same for most professions not just captain's. If anything goes wrong in the workplace, it's the manager that have the responsibility on their shoulders. It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid. But that's the reason why the accept the role for that reason and get very well paid for that role.