# of cruises per yr & why do enjoy cruises vs land vaca??

I'm a curiouse person and enjoy others perspectives.  

So I pose this question... how many cruises per year do you take and why cruise vs. Land vacations ??

For me I look at cruise a bit like buffets, which I enjoy a good buffet not because of the unlimited quantity but more of I like a large variety of foods and can satisfy all the taste buds and can have as little or more of any one item that fits my current needs.

With that said, for me cruises offer such a variety in itineraries and go to multiple locations to get a wider variety of a region. With so many different cruise ships and each one different from each other, the ship becomes an destination within its self. I only have to unpack once while traveling to different regions, no worries about safety, hotel quality getting from point A B C.  I meet so many great & different people while cruising, some I've kept in contact with. I can be as active or not as fits my energy level. And last but not least... variety is the spice for life.  And i take 2 to 3 cruises per year.

I could list so many more reasons but let's hear yours.

Cheers to cruising! 

Edited by euroguy
  • Thanks 2

@euroguy This is a great question and I think it all depends on why you enjoy cruising. What attracts you to the cruise experience? To me, I enjoy a hassle-free family vacation, and I don't necessarily travel more than 1-2 times a year. I travel to relax, not for the destinations. If you are cruising to visit new areas and using cruises to explore or adventure then maying cruising more often is a better fit! Your question may also depend on the guest's financial situation and job schedule. For instance, my husband's job doesn't allow him to take off more than a few weeks a year so for us, cruising 1-2 times a year and taking 1-3 land vacations a year is the best situation. We also prefer little local getaways or weekend getaways on land to visit family and friends. Those have been happening quite often for us lately with cheap flights and opportunities to have long work-from-home weekends. School is also a big factor! I will begin homeschooling my children next month so that our family won't have to be so constrained to the traditional school system. That will provide us with greater flexibility to do more travel.

I love cruises because being out at sea makes me feel as though daily life is nonexistent. This gives me that peace that the Calgone Commercials advertised but in reality didn't. Produce. I try to take at least 1 cruises per year, so far this year in 2023 I have taken 2 and now looking for my 3 one. In my opinion cruises are the best bargain all inclusive trips you can take, they have something for all income levels but for me a suite is a must have due to the spaciousness and the great view of the water you get sitting on your own personal balcony.

• Like 1

@Joey My perspective is very similar to yours! I always try to take at least one cruise per year. It is absolutely my favorite way to decompress, truly get away, and unwind. Separating from the every day and freeing myself from schedules/obligations/worries is a real vacation. I love cruising because I don't have to think about cooking or what restaurant to go to or even if I need to make a reservation. I just show up, the service is great, and the food is warm and delicious. My family enjoys going places and renting large homes in differing areas and scenery but someone always ends up having to cook and clean (usually me) and we have to drive and fight traffic and figure out food. It's so much simpler, easier, and more enjoyable to cruise.

The plan was we would do about two cruises a year, but we are close to retirement.  We eventually wanted to do about four cruises a year.  However, "The Thing" (covid) changed all of that.  Since we were not allowed to cruise, we did a few land vacations.  Went to St Martin twice and Aruba once (and did Cocoa Beach & Key West & we did a short trip to San Juan).  Going forward, we will mainly cruise, but we will throw in one or two land vacations a year.  There is a lot more planning to do on a land vacation, but with airbnb and the rest of the internet, it's easier to do.  If anyone needs any tips, let me know.

• Like 1

@euroguy I'm intrigued by what prompted this question! Do you feel as though cruising is easier to plan for versus a land vacation? I find booking a cruise experience much simpler that coordinating all of the logistics behind making a land vacation to become just as relaxing and adventurous. 

@euroguy We usually end up with 2 (sometimes 3) a year right now mostly due to time constraints because I'm still working. Normally we hit off-season in the fall and Feb / early March. In the summer we can find our way to a cabin in the mountains although we have cruised in the summer. 

I don't necessarily prefer one over the other (land vs. cruise) but one nice thing about a cruise for us is the relative simplicity. We cruise out of the same port. Although its a long drive its not difficult. Once you have the places you like to stay, park and eat at the port it makes planning simple. We don't necessarily cruise to sightsee as much as just a relaxing get away. Somewhat similar to how people like to go to the same resort every year. Also with a cruise, the meals are prepared, we know where to get a drink, the shows and other entertainment are provided and you can do nothing at all if thats what you want. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@euroguy Do you have any insider updates on your upcoming CCL sailings? I know you had a couple in the works. I was also curious if CCL gives you the upgraded wifi option for those cruises! I would imagine if you have a booking assistant you are likely getting access to only the best wifi available onboard! 

@KeithG I'm right there with you. The simplicity of cruising makes it super convenient. Planning a vacation takes time and lots of effort. I love just booking a cruise and knowing that everything will be taken care of once I arrive at the port. I agree that sightseeing/exploring can be better on land, but at this stage in my life, I'm going for relaxation over sightseeing! 

• Like 1

We do 3 cruises a year. Have done land based all inclusive type vacations...but they can't compete with being on the seas. I felt after a few days at the resort, it was generally the same thing over and over. With cruising, its always an adventure, different ports, things to see that change daily.

Edited by Mr.Bill
grammar
  • Like 2

I am currently weighing the options of a Caribbean cruise vs visiting the Azores in September.  A Caribbean cruise takes virtually no planning or thinking because we would go on a ship we’ve been on before going to ports we’ve already visited.  The Azores would take some planning since we’ve never been. In the end we will probably end up on a ship since my wife is not as adventurous as myself.  But the Azores will remain on my list. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Mr.Bill To me, two to three cruises a year is absolutely perfect. I prefer two cruises and one land vacation, to mix things up a bit. If I had to skip one vacation, it's always the land one, cruising is always the most relaxing and accommodating for my entire family. I love the variety of cruise itineraries and ships, even cruise lines now. I remember back in the day there was less variety, but I can truly cruise almost anywhere in the world now! That's how I would like to visit the seven continents, via cruise. I have yet to explore 5 continents!

@FJB You have to go to the Azores! I have seen your epic cruise videos and this would be such an amazing experience. I think it would be very worth the extra planning time! Would you cruise to the Azores? If so, which cruise line would you choose?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@Mr.Bill To me, two to three cruises a year is absolutely perfect. I prefer two cruises and one land vacation, to mix things up a bit. If I had to skip one vacation, it's always the land one, cruising is always the most relaxing and accommodating for my entire family. I love the variety of cruise itineraries and ships, even cruise lines now. I remember back in the day there was less variety, but I can truly cruise almost anywhere in the world now! That's how I would like to visit the seven continents, via cruise. I have yet to explore 5 continents!

@FJB You have to go to the Azores! I have seen your epic cruise videos and this would be such an amazing experience. I think it would be very worth the extra planning time! Would you cruise to the Azores? If so, which cruise line would you choose?

I don’t think I would cruise to the Azores. Can’t say I’ve seen any ships that go there. 

• Like 1