Man Overboard

while it is true that 33 of the 280 man overboards since 2000 are on Carnival. Carnival has more ships and has carried more passengers than any other line over that period.  So statistically if you factor in # of people overboard vs people who have sailed I don't think they would stay number 1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@FJB That's an interesting thought! Carnival Cruise Line does have a large fleet and is pretty accessible to all due to its typically more reasonable price point. The line attracts a diverse crowd and holds so many guests onboard its large fleet of 24 ships that cruise a wide range of itineraries from 2-night to 31-night sailings. 

Recently, a guest that was cruising onboard a CCL itinerary actually passed away during a routine day in the water.  Much information still has yet to be disclosed, but the person who passed away was thought to have died due to a medical emergency during a routine swim at Mystery Island, Vanuatu. This one isn't particularly man-overboard news but this tragedy did occur during a Carnival Cruise Line sailing!

I have certainly noticed a relationship between CCL and man-overboard scenarios! A recent CCL man-overboard search has officially ended after the US Coast Guard did a thorough review of the surroundings. The 35-year-old man was said to have dropped off of a stateroom balcony on Monday, May 29 around 4:10 am according to security video footage. Unfortunately, after hours of searching, the USCG was unable to find the man overboard.

Isn't it a tragedy that there are so many people that go overboard. The latest one by all account was merely looking over the side and apparently fell over. It does scare my slightly taking my young son with us on the next ship. It's so easily done.

• Sad 1

@LukeJ I completely agree that the potential of younger children going overboard is quite frightening. I usually opt for an ocean-view stateroom when traveling with my young children. It's certainly more reassuring and relaxing to not have to worry about this risk while on vacation, especially if you are enjoying your drink package. Accidents do occur but I think that if you are potentially at risk, or possibly under the influence, you should set yourself up for safety and success. If you could potentially make a poor judgment call, opt for an ocean-view stateroom or choose to stay indoors instead of spending your time outdoors on less trafficked decks during that time frame. 

@LukeJ I agree with you. It's better to be cautious than any "potential" to affect you. I don't feel safe on any open bridges or certain rooftops, anything with my children for that matter. I was just in Charlotte, NC at a hotel where the pool and bar were on the rooftop in the city with a waist-high glass barrier. Mind you, this setting was at least 10 stories high. I didn't even take my children into the pool and opted out, but I do feel very comfortable on most cruise ships' open decks because of their secured barriers. I enjoy the "indoor" pools with the tops open. It's all enclosed but you still get to enjoy the beauty of the ocean through the paneling. It's what I consider the perfect way to feel comfortable while still enjoying the natural scenery onboard. 

@LukeJ From the increased human trafficking to planted video cameras in bathrooms, a parent can't be too cautious nowadays. In my neighborhood, a parent got called on by a neighbor because she was "practicing independence" with her 6-year-old and let him play at the park by himself while she checked in through the upstairs window. This would have been permitted back in the day, and now this is a local offense. These parents were subject to home visits and parenting classes regulated by the local government. 

I don't even let my kids ride their bikes around the block without me. On a cruise ship though, I feel reassured that my children are in an enclosed environment and near me at all times. Thankfully I have always felt comfortable with the childcare onboard my cruise itineraries as well, although I barely use the service for more than an hour or two for a specialized activity that interests my children. 

You can still let kids be kids and go out on their own as long as you don’t live in in the dem-run crime-ridden cities. We don’t need to be helicopter parents - we are not doing our kids any favors. That’s why we have too many snowflakes in the world today. Just my 2cents after raising a daughter without a helicopter who is well grounded and well traveled. She is off to Europe next month by herself at the age of 23  

• Like 1

@FJB I do agree with your perspective. It's nice not to constantly hover over our children and inflict any sorry of anxiety or fear onto them due to the knowledge of crime around us. It also depends on the age of your children and the exposures they have had. For instance, your daughter is well traveled, she's had plenty of opportunities to practice her safety skill sets alongside you, and now has the knowledge and ability to make informed decisions when traveling and is comfortable with it. For someone without the exposure or "practice" maybe that person would be more susceptible to becoming a victim of crime due to lack of awareness. I think it's our job as parents to teach our children social awareness and empower them to make informed decisions. My children are younger, so I'm still constantly teaching those more basic safety measures like don't run into the street.

I'm very excited about your daughter going to Europe at such a young age on her own. You must be very proud. Way to go!

• Like 1

My daughter did not get a cell phone till she was about 15. Before then, we figured she would be around enough friends with a phone that she could use to call us if needed.  As a young child, when she rode in the car or truck, we did not place a device in her hands to keep he occupied. We taught her how to read road signs and a map. We taught her a sense of direction. How many kids today at the age of 16 when they are eligible for a drivers license know how to get to the local grocery store without using Waze?   Not as many as you think. Stop ruining your kids people with those “dumb” devices! 

• Like 1

@FJB This is a refreshing parenting perspective! I'm excited for your daughter. She sounds very well-equipt for a solo trip filled with fun and great travels! I also don't allow my children to have much media, including in the car. Although they have tablets, they are seldom used and only for educational purposes. I admire your parenting ways. Sense of direction is something I often struggle with and I rely heavily on on my phone map. This is a great thing to teach your child, to have a sense of direction. I too wish I was taught more about this at a younger age. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@FJB CCL suspended the search of the overboard passenger too. My heart goes out to Jaylen Hill (only 30 years old) and family. Apparently, he jumped from the CCL ship. This is so tragic. Should cruise lines be doing mental health checks for guests? I just hate seeing these stories on the news. I wish there was a way to stop these situations from occurring.