I'm new here and would love to hear your opinions about other cruise lines.

We have been cruising since 2012 and only have been on Carnival. We're about to be platnum and wanted to start going on Royal Caribbean. When I asked for people's thoughts, they said that the people on Royal are snooty and think they are better than others. So I checked out some videos on YouTube and I saw the total opposite. 

• Like 2

@Cruising Thomas If you have enjoyed Carnival Cruise Line thus far, it's almost a guarantee you will love RCL. In fact, you may love RCL even more. I'm not sure what attracts you the most to CCL but Royal Caribbean Line has amazing amenities, and its newer ships have all the bells and whistles. I would not consider the Royal Caribbean crowd to be snooty at all. The crowds are very similar to CCL, and both cruise lines attract a diverse environment. The prices are relatively the same but I have noticed RCL has some really good rates for cruising with more than 2 guests per stateroom. I love when the line does the promo 3rd and 4th guest cruise free. It comes out to be a very reasonable cruise that way! 

• Thanks 1

@FJB I completely agree that I haven't noticed any snootiness. I actually think the opposite is true, it's a pretty casual, laid-back atmosphere.

@Jim Lamb That's funny. I think it all depends on the type of cruise and itinerary you take. If you are taking the basic under 5-night cruise you will likely see a more blue-collar crowd on almost any mainstream cruise line, but any longer cruise or unique itinerary will change the type of crowd onboard. 

@kefthecruiser I enjoy both CCL and RCL. They both offer comparable itineraries and a very wide range of modernized ships to cruise on.

I think that you will really enjoy RCL @Cruising Thomas. You should totally give the line a try! 

Celebrity is my favourite but it is not a waterslide, hairy chest, belly flop contest line.   It is not snooty but it is a bit more upscale.   RCL or even Princess would be a good other cruise line to try.   MSC is another one I enjoy but it is similar to Carnival but it is more international as far as clientele on board and the experience.

• Haha 1

@Woody14 I love how you created a cruise line class that entails waterslides, hairy chests, and belly flop contests. Do you think RCL is more "upscale?" I find them so comparable and both lines tend to have a pretty "alive" evening crowd. I haven't cruised with Celebrity Cruises, so I'm interested to hear your opinion on the nightlife options. Do you think CCL has a more wild nightlife scene than Celebrity Cruises? I enjoy MSC Cruises' diversity for sure. Out of all of the cruise lines I have cruised with MSC Cruises and Costa Cruises have the most well-rounded guests from around the globe.

Celebrity Cruises just released pretty cool video footage of a medical evacuation onboard Celebrity Eclipse. Do you know why helicopters can't land on cruise ships?

@Woody14 & @FJB You both really enjoy Celebrity Cruises!  Since I generally cruise with my family of 5, I find it difficult to find affordable staterooms that accommodate all of us. Do you know if Celebrity Cruises offers interior-balcony staterooms that accommodate five guests? The cost of suites is out of our price range while factoring in the payment of five cruise fares and plane tickets. I did read a forum that stated the cruise line does offer some 5-person staterooms onboard some of its fleet, but those staterooms types are few and far between. I would be willing to book one up early though, as soon as the next year's itineraries are released, to snag these optimal staterooms! 

12 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@Woody14 & @FJB You both really enjoy Celebrity Cruises!  Since I generally cruise with my family of 5, I find it difficult to find affordable staterooms that accommodate all of us. Do you know if Celebrity Cruises offers interior-balcony staterooms that accommodate five guests? The cost of suites is out of our price range while factoring in the payment of five cruise fares and plane tickets. I did read a forum that stated the cruise line does offer some 5-person staterooms onboard some of its fleet, but those staterooms types are few and far between. I would be willing to book one up early though, as soon as the next year's itineraries are released, to snag these optimal staterooms! 

Yes there are family staterooms on the Millenium class ships that accommodate up to 5 people. I have never stayed in one so can’t offer any further info. 

On 6/2/2023 at 6:10 AM, Kendall James-Vargas said:

did a 5 person room once it had a separate 'room' more a semi enclosed area in side.  it was a very nice room bigger than the standard room.  had to book it direct with them.

On 5/31/2023 at 3:19 PM, Cruising Caribbean said:

@FJB I completely agree that I haven't noticed any snootiness. I actually think the opposite is true, it's a pretty casual, laid-back atmosphere.

@Jim Lamb That's funny. I think it all depends on the type of cruise and itinerary you take. If you are taking the basic under 5-night cruise you will likely see a more blue-collar crowd on almost any mainstream cruise line, but any longer cruise or unique itinerary will change the type of crowd onboard. 

@kefthecruiser I enjoy both CCL and RCL. They both offer comparable itineraries and a very wide range of modernized ships to cruise on.

I think that you will really enjoy RCL @Cruising Thomas. You should totally give the line a try! 

@keiththe cruiser Thanks for your answer. We definitely will try RCL

@Woody14 I agree that a 5-person stateroom would likely need to be booked by calling customer service. The representative would be able to give you some good answers here. 

@mcnattsteve1960You can't go wrong with Carnival Cruise Line. The line has a really appealing style for everyone; it's truly inclusive for all. There is something for everyone onboard. What is your favorite CCL ship? You must have a pretty awesome loyalty status with the line! 

• 3 weeks later...

@Tasselhoff That's rare! I have heard so many good stories about Celebrity Cruise Line, and it's one of the more mainstream lines I haven't tried yet. How would you compare the Celebrity Cruises experience with RCL or CCL? I have seen the ship designs and styling on the upper decks being docked very close to a few Celebrity ships, and I love the line's aesthetic! The line seems to offer it all. 

20 hours ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

How would you compare the Celebrity Cruises experience with RCL or CCL? I have seen the ship designs and styling on the upper decks being docked very close to a few Celebrity ships, and I love the line's aesthetic! The line seems to offer it all. 

Must admit I am a cheerleader for Celebrity, it is my favourite line.  It is pretty chill compared to RCL or CCL.  Less families and kids.  Not to say it does not have kids as it does and has a great kids club, my kids thought it was one of the best.    the big differences for me are: main dinning room experience - way better than CCL and better than RCL, the vibe is more chill makes me feel like I am on a vacation.    Being there are less people that seem to get involved in the events the cruise director and team do you seem to get to know them better.
some significant differences:   no rock walls, ziplines, harry chest contests or belly flop contests.   will say lunch food options on carnival (guys, pizza, blue iguana, etc) are better.  no comedy shows nightly like on CCL only get one maybe 2 nights of comedy in the main theatre.  

• Like 1

@Woody14 From what you are describing, it sounds like Celebrity Cruise Line has a much more relaxing atmosphere than some of the other major cruise line competitors! I would likely prefer this type of non-chaotic atmosphere. Please expand more on the MDR experience, I have felt like many of the major cruise lines are diluting the MDR experience in recent years. Without those major thrilling attractions, I would imagine this ship does attract fewer children onboard. I would also assume that the crowd is less rowdy without some of these wild attractions and events. At least you still get some comedy onboard. One of my newer favorites, MSC Cruises, seems to offer no comedy onboard.

14 minutes ago, 3Sisters said:

Please expand more on the MDR experience, I have felt like many of the major cruise lines are diluting the MDR experience in recent years. Without those major thrilling attractions, I would imagine this ship does attract fewer children onboard. I would also assume that the crowd is less rowdy without some of these wild attractions and events. At least you still get some comedy onboard. One of my newer favorites, MSC Cruises, seems to offer no comedy onboard.

MDR
I have to admit I prefer set time, same table, same wait staff, early seating and 90+% of my cruises have been this way, we don't often eat at specialty restaurants.     

There are 3 main items for me in the main dinning experience which I factor in my opinion.  (note have been on: Celebrity, Carnival, Royal, Costa, MSC, Sun Cruises, NCL, Holland) been on a Celebrity, Carnival and RCL cruise in the last 12 months.

1. food quality - it is true that over the years of cruiselines have 'diluted' the food quality and portion sizes.   the portion size has never bothered me as I usually have 2 appy's, salad or soup (sometimes both), main and sometimes dessert.   In the old days the menu used to be totally different every day, now there are somethings that are always on the menu (not totally bad, just different).    I rarely eat the same item twice on a 7 day cruise as I like variety.   I would not say I am a true foodie but I do like good food, and I like to be able to walk away from a meal thinking I got good value for money as far as taste goes.   I know the MDR is not a pay extra thing but I view it through the restaurant lens.   Admittedly I would not say that I have had a top 10 of my life meal from a MDR on a cruise. 

So really it comes down to would I have it again and be willing to pay restaurant prices for it, would I eat it again being it is included, was it worth eating at all, was it even edible.        On celebrity I have had more of the it was good and I would be willing to pay for it than any other line. Carnival had the most it was not really even edible (although I likely ate it anyway).   
2. Service - this is where celebrity shines the most to me.   my last celebrity cruise I had a head waiter, assistant waiter, sommelier, bar server all assigned to our table, plus a matre'd checked in almost daily.   In comparison my last Carnival had just a head waiter and an assistant.  My last RCL had a head waiter and an assistant as well as some area supervisor that assisted once in a while.   I find the friendliness level of dining staff very comparable, they all learn your names and remember your preferences.   But the service levels with the extra staff Celebrity has seemed to really stand out.
3. Room Experience - not just the visuals of the room as most are fairly nice but a few extra things stand out to me.   Table cloths on the tables (true RCL had them as well).   The table set up.   Yes you are packed in all the lines MDR.  But the table size mix on Royal just felt chaotic.   Generally early seating is somewhere between 5:30 & 6:00 pm and the next seating is likely not till 8 so you have lots of time and never feel rushed.  On Carnival it felt like we had 45 min to go through all the courses and get out. It was not a relaxing experience.   I have never felt that on Celebrity.

MSC, it has been about 10 or so years since I have done MSC really loved the value for money it offered.   It was a very European flavour at the time and was great.  I know it has lost some of that and now there are so many levels/experiences that I am not sure how it all comes together now.  It is about time to try them again I think.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

🥰 We are Royal loyal and Sept.2023 (CCL) will mark 30 cruises for me. Of the 30 since 1981, 4 have been CCL; 2 Celebrity and the remainder have been on RCCL.  I don't particularly care for the people on CCL. Of course, it depends on the embarkation port. We don't care for large drinking crowds and enjoy the party from a distance (which is what we'll do for the upcoming cruise). IMO of course. I also enjoyed Celebrity and would love to do again.

@Woody14 Thank you so much for taking the time to share all of this valuable feedback! You have a very diverse cruising background. I really like the way you broke down your post; it was very easy to follow. I agree that food quality and portions have declined. In fact, I have read lately that some of the major cruise lines are cutting so much so, that they are no longer allowing guests to order more than one of each food category in the MDR. For instance, you can only order one app instead of two because you can't choose. From my most recent cruise experience with MSC Cruises, the line hasn't made this sort of cutback, but I do not like this sort of restrictive structure. I see the value in cutting food costs and waste, but it's one of the things I really enjoy about the MDR, having the ability to pick and choose through the menu at my leisure. 

Service is half of the experience! You are spot on. I love keeping the same waitstaff for the entirety of my cruise and getting to know them. Over the years the service has gone down; I really think this is because the overall crew morale post-pandemic has significantly declined. This is something that may entice me to try Celebrity Cruises. 

I also think not feeling rushed is a huge part of the dining experience. I'm actually surprised that you haven't felt rushed at all in the MDR with Celebrity Cruises. This says so much about the culture of the cruise line!

I do agree that it's time for you to try MSC Cruises again. I do notice in recent years, as the line makes a larger presence in the U.S., that the overall quality and culture of the line are changing. I'm not sure if this statement would be true for European-based ships. I enjoyed the larger diversity in the crowd, attracting guests from all over the world. I have noticed while cruising out of U.S. ports, that MSC Cruises has a more Americanized crowd and less of the cultural diversity I enjoyed on previous cruises.

Edited by 3Sisters