Allure of the Seas Covid status and CocoCay Island is EXPENSIVE!

Just got off the Allure of the Seas holiday tour. The Captain announced that 24 passengers and 3 1/2% of crew tested positive for Covid and were being isolated. Our ship was not full and about 75% capacity. All areas on ship except outdoors are mandatory mask use. No exceptions anywhere inside except your room. No one gets on except under 12 without proof of vaccine card. Allure unloaded infected crew members onto Onassis of the Seas in CocoCay on last day of cruise. Boat still has Yellow CDC status and was denied entry to St Thomas and St Kitts. We cruised all the way down there and back only to cruise for a total of 4 days at sea. Only stopped in Nassau and CocoCay which was NOT on our tour. Anyone getting on a cruise ship today will most likely be denied entry into almost all Caribbean ports except Nassau (ship is flagged there) and CocoCay (owned by RC). Just a word about CocoCay. You will find that everything except sitting on the beach is EXPENSIVE! All most all activities are over $100 per person with several close to $200 and to rent a floating cabana is $2,100! Also, CocoCay is NOT very handicap accessible, They require you to push a beach wheelchair in soft sand almost everywhere on the island and this is difficult and require pushing long distances. They have very limited hard surface areas for regular wheelchairs, power chairs or scooters and to use them it will cost you $200 at the beach club! I wouldn't recommend any type of wheelchair bound individuals to go on CocoCay. The Allure of the Seas is an amazing ship with plenty of space, great shows and extremely stable. It was a big step up from our last cruise on Anthem of the Seas.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, GoldStatustravler said:

Just got off the Allure of the Seas holiday tour. The Captain announced that 24 passengers and 3 1/2% of crew tested positive for Covid and were being isolated. Our ship was not full and about 75% capacity. All areas on ship except outdoors are mandatory mask use. No exceptions anywhere inside except your room. No one gets on except under 12 without proof of vaccine card. Allure unloaded infected crew members onto Onassis of the Seas in CocoCay on last day of cruise. Boat still has Yellow CDC status and was denied entry to St Thomas and St Kitts. We cruised all the way down there and back only to cruise for a total of 4 days at sea. Only stopped in Nassau and CocoCay which was NOT on our tour. Anyone getting on a cruise ship today will most likely be denied entry into almost all Caribbean ports except Nassau (ship is flagged there) and CocoCay (owned by RC). Just a word about CocoCay. You will find that everything except sitting on the beach is EXPENSIVE! All most all activities are over $100 per person with several close to $200 and to rent a floating cabana is $2,100! Also, CocoCay is NOT very handicap accessible, They require you to push a beach wheelchair in soft sand almost everywhere on the island and this is difficult and require pushing long distances. They have very limited hard surface areas for regular wheelchairs, power chairs or scooters and to use them it will cost you $200 at the beach club! I wouldn't recommend any type of wheelchair bound individuals to go on CocoCay. The Allure of the Seas is an amazing ship with plenty of space, great shows and extremely stable. It was a big step up from our last cruise on Anthem of the Seas.

I have a question, how did you like Anthem of the Seas? We are scheduled for a February trip. And Really, a floating cabana $2100?  For Real?

I am sorry to hear about your experience on your recent cruise.  I was supposed to get on Explorer of the Seas tomorrow but cancelled after much deliberation.  It would not have been the cruise or vacation my family wanted.  Just yesterday they cancelled our stop in St. Lucia and have made it an "at sea: day on the on-line calendar.  I have a feeling many more ports will not be visited.  How were the onboard activities?  Were any activities/shows cancelled or severely limited?

Hello all.  We booked a cruise on Alure of the Seas for Feb. 5th.  As of now, I have called several times for information.  They will not give me ANY information directly and advised I have to go through my "cruise planner" (travel agent).  I called her and asked about cancelation.  She told me we would only get a portion of our money back.  I have travel insurance and Royal caribbean has the "peace of mind program" where we can cancelation and get 125% credit fir a future cruise.  Our travel agent says this only applies if RCL cancels our cruise.  Does anyone have any information about this??  We have been saving for 2 years fir this cruise!!  At this point...not sure what to do.  We also chose this cruise fir St. Thomas and St. Kitts which have denied access to RCL. Does anyone have ANY info. on this??  PLEASE help.  My family has our vaccine and boosters.  Delema: is it safe? If we cancel, what do we get back? What do we get on a future cruise? Is it worth the $$ to have ports and activities canceled?

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I was on the Christmas sailing of Allure as well.  I was not bummed out in the least about missing St Thomas and St Kitts because this massive ship had PLENTY to keep me occupied.  I also felt COMPLETELY safe - I actually think the 4500 passengers could stay on the ship and have a better chance of NOT getting Omicron than going back to our home communities.  You have to wear your mask EVERYWHERE indoors unless you are eating or drinking.  The outside decks are mask free, but I never felt RCCL was putting my health in jeopardy.  For instance, after the 1.5 hour karaoke session in Dazzles, you must leave the venue so they can spray all the surfaces/chairs/etc... with antiseptic.  The only complaint I have at all about this past week is that once the two ports were cancelled, RCCL should have recognized the need for more chaise lounges on the pool deck.  Folks go out by 8 a.m. and put their towel and book on a chair then go back to their cabin for a few hours.  The only day I got a decent spot so I could point directly toward the sun was the day everyone else got off the ship in Coco Cay.  That day was AWESOME for me!

We to are scheduled for the Feb 5th sailing.  I already put through a cancelation through the website, but have yet to hear back.  The say it could take several days for a response.  We also have traveler's insurance.  This would have been our 11th cruise and I had come to not looking forward to it at all!  Way too much going on right now to feel safe & relaxed on a cruise ship.

On 12/31/2021 at 10:34 AM, GoldStatustravler said:

My wife uses a wheelchair and we have been on CocoCay with both a scooter and a wheelchair, we have also been to Halfmoon Cay, Ocean Cay, Harvest Cay, and CocoCay is the most accessible of any of the private Islands.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 4:13 PM, Jayne said:

We to are scheduled for the Feb 5th sailing.  I already put through a cancelation through the website, but have yet to hear back.  The say it could take several days for a response.  We also have traveler's insurance.  This would have been our 11th cruise and I had come to not looking forward to it at all!  Way too much going on right now to feel safe & relaxed on a cruise ship.

We just got off Celebrity Apex a few days ago. Now I’m at home sitting in a freaking snow storm in Indiana!!! I would take that Feb 5 cruise in a heartbeat!! 
We felt very safe cruising. So what you wear a mask!! Better that a winter coat, boots, gloves and a hat!!! Also with 9 inches of snow around you. 
I hope you went on your cruise!!! 
Life’s too short everyone!!

Susan from Indiana ❤️

Edited by chloe5susan
Misspelled word