Still feel safe?

@Jo Jarrett I would say if it's booked through the cruise line, it's certainly safe and reliable. Which port of call will you be traveling to? I would say every public transit could attract a variety of crowds, but I wouldn't consider it particularly unsafe. Carnival Corporation is hitting some booking records and gaining lots of popularity. It just released its first quarter review, and Carnival Corporation is excitingly surpassing financial expectations. I doubt the corporation would do anything to jeopardize its validity. 

We just returned from our cruise March 25th.  Stops included Costa Maya, Belize, and Cozemel.

We didn't experience any issues in Costa Maya or Belize.  We didn't get off at Cozemel, simply because we wanted to stay on board to just relax and rest up?  Both places we got off, we remained aware of our surroundings and visited the shops and attractions right there in the welcome villages.  I made it known that we would not be traveling(walking, taxing, or riding outside the gates, for any reason.

Being former military, I did not want to put ourselves at risk of anything that could be confused through lost translations or being misinformed, in any way?  There were no incidents or problems that we experienced. 

I would advise other's to be cautious but no need to be concerned to the point that you miss out on visiting these places, just be aware of your surroundings and always keep your ship in eye sight, if possible.  We also gave ourselves plenty of time for returning back to the ship no later than an hour or two before time to be back on board.  Many things can come into play while trying to get back to the ship that could possibly cost you precious time that you may have not planned on.

• Thanks 1

@Todd This is really good feedback. I believe in always being very aware of your surroundings, no matter where you are. Scanning your area and keeping your personal belonging safe and secure really helps with feeling confident no matter where you go. Traveling comes with new territories so it's hard to say the levels of safety for each particular area, but it shouldn't stop you from exploring and enjoying the cruise ports. Stay alert and play it safe, use your intuition and better judgment and you should have a great time! 

@Jo Jarrett I hope you get the opportunity to explore new ports of call and enjoy every minute of it! Here are some great ways to stay safe and enjoy your cruise. https://www.cruisehive.com/stay-safe-enjoy-cruise-time/10584

22 hours ago, Todd said:

We just returned from our cruise March 25th.  Stops included Costa Maya, Belize, and Cozemel.

We didn't experience any issues in Costa Maya or Belize.  We didn't get off at Cozemel, simply because we wanted to stay on board to just relax and rest up?  Both places we got off, we remained aware of our surroundings and visited the shops and attractions right there in the welcome villages.  I made it known that we would not be traveling(walking, taxing, or riding outside the gates, for any reason.

Being former military, I did not want to put ourselves at risk of anything that could be confused through lost translations or being misinformed, in any way?  There were no incidents or problems that we experienced. 

I would advise other's to be cautious but no need to be concerned to the point that you miss out on visiting these places, just be aware of your surroundings and always keep your ship in eye sight, if possible.  We also gave ourselves plenty of time for returning back to the ship no later than an hour or two before time to be back on board.  Many things can come into play while trying to get back to the ship that could possibly cost you precious time that you may have not planned on.

So you are former military and too scared to go “outside the gates”?  “Keep the ship in sight at all times”?  Then you say “I would advise other's to be cautious but no need to be concerned to the point that you miss out on visiting these places”.   I think you missed out if you didn’t go outside the gates.

Maybe this is why you are “former”...

• Sad 1

I agree FJB! Staying inside the company ports does not expose you to the real reason that we like to go to different places. It is to see the countryside, meet the people, and explore things outside the company stores located in the made-up ports of call. Places like the shopping village at Costa Maya right off the ship are all owned or operated by the same people and have the same merchandise. Get out and see the world and know that if there is any brewing dangers outside the gates of one of these made up villages the cruise line and the authorities would make sure you were aware of it. 

• Thanks 2

@FJB Keeping the ship in sight could definitely be reassuring to some, but I wouldn't say this strategy will ensure any traveler's safety. I think just doing what you feel is secure and going with your gut will work out just fine. I wouldn't say missing out on exploring new places should be a factor. Cruise ports of call are meant to be enjoyed!

@Jim Lamb I feel the same way. If cruise guests were in any sort of imminent danger, the cruise line would notify everyone onboard. Crime is everywhere, but it shouldn't necessarily stop anyone from safely having a good time.

• Like 1