My wife and I just returned from a cruise on the Jewel of the Seas. Love that boat! It was the first Royal that I cruised on 12 years ago and she is still just the right size and has the most pleasant crew that I have ever encountered. While our cruise was great along with the ports that we visited, we were surprised by one thing, People were allowed to bring their precious "emotional support" dogs on board. I didn't realize that was allowed. We did notice on our walks around the ship that Royal had put together a 2'x2' artificial turf poop pad hidden on deck 5 toward the bow. There were two dogs on board our cruise with the owners carrying them everywhere on board. Don't get me wrong, I am the biggest pet person around (2 dogs, 2 cats) but I don't understand bringing them onboard a ship. Does anyone else see a potential problem once all of the fake emotional support animal people find this out? Isn't there a problem with brining animals into a foreign country? Even if you don't get off the boat with them, how is that any different than just a year ago with ports not allowing any boat into their waters with reported covid cases or unvaccinated folks onboard?

Just asking!    

• Like 1

@Jim Lamb These are all really great questions. I definitely don’t think the system for allowing pets onboard is fool proof. I have had a friend bring their “emotional support pet,” and he didn’t have to provide any specific documentation. There must be associated risks with being a pet onboard and being exposed to viruses. Since each differing cruise line has specific protocols, I would say some may be more strict than others for requiring guests to submit supporting documentation. 

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2022 at 8:03 AM, Jim Lamb said:

My wife and I just returned from a cruise on the Jewel of the Seas. Love that boat! It was the first Royal that I cruised on 12 years ago and she is still just the right size and has the most pleasant crew that I have ever encountered. While our cruise was great along with the ports that we visited, we were surprised by one thing, People were allowed to bring their precious "emotional support" dogs on board. I didn't realize that was allowed. We did notice on our walks around the ship that Royal had put together a 2'x2' artificial turf poop pad hidden on deck 5 toward the bow. There were two dogs on board our cruise with the owners carrying them everywhere on board. Don't get me wrong, I am the biggest pet person around (2 dogs, 2 cats) but I don't understand bringing them onboard a ship. Does anyone else see a potential problem once all of the fake emotional support animal people find this out? Isn't there a problem with brining animals into a foreign country? Even if you don't get off the boat with them, how is that any different than just a year ago with ports not allowing any boat into their waters with reported covid cases or unvaccinated folks onboard?

Just asking!    

It’s total BS. Anyone can claim their dog is an emotional support dog or whatever. Leave your pet at home and if you really need to be with them STAY HOME!

• Thanks 2

@ArveyD I definitely understand where you are coming from. I do believe it should be a more regulated process. I'm also not quite sure how sanitary it is. Are there places onboard for dogs to use the restroom? I don't think I have come across an area like this on a ship before. 

@PaulBI agree, although I don't have use for a service dog. I would think leaving your pet behind while vacationing could feel pretty liberating! 

FJB I agree wholeheartedly! And, after reading Royal's policy, it says nothing about "emotional support" animals, just animals that have been trained for a specific purpose in assisting with a special need. These folks that have to bring Fifi along because they are nice to have on their lap need to stay home with the dog and enjoy their PETS there! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

My daughter just got back from Oasis of the Seas the people in room next door had a service dog.  They left it in the room and it cried and barked all day and all night.  How miserable.  If they are service animals why aren't they with them.  Next thing you know they will be in the pools.  I do not agree with this.  Not for what you pay to go on a nice cruise and I also do not want to be in a room that a dog has been in for a week.  This needs to be addressed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Nana007 I have to agree with you, service dogs are meant to serve their owners so I'm surprised the dog was left unattended night and day. If anything it sounds like the dog was a bit upset being left unattended that long in a foreign environment. The dog would have likely been better off in its normal element with a kind pet caregiver. Dogs are only gaining popularity onboard cruise ships nowadays. I read that a dog onboard Holland America Line earned 700 days on a cruise ship. At least the dog did serve its owners well, assisting its owner who is blind. 

@Nana007 & @Jim Lamb & @ArveyD There are so many different opportunities onboard, such as evening theatre shows that are not conducive to a service dog or pet. I read a recent article about Cunard Line and chocolate tasting better at sea. I couldn't help but think, how would this sort of experience pan out alongside an animal that can't consume chocolate without assuming health risks? The dog would have to spend time in the stateroom if the owner wanted to participate in something like this. I honestly think it's cruel to bring a service animal onboard a cruise if it's going to spend most of its time scared and cooped up in a small cruise stateroom. Do you agree?

• 3 weeks later...

Emotional Support Dogs are just that. They provided a person with comfort and support. They are NOT Service Dogs, who are well trained and licensed as such for persons with disabilities, Veterans and other situations. I am sickened by the people who think they can consider a 7 pound lap dog as a Service Dog and bring them onboard and parade around the ship like there a king. I experienced this on a cruise several years back while shopping at a store onboard when we came across a lady holding a small dog. After every other person walking by said how cute, I was wondering why the hell is there a dog onboard the ship. I asked the ship employee who stated that the dog was her service dog because she had asthma. What? No way. Then the husband is carrying it around the ship and I see him at the Military Veterans get together where HE is carrying the dog around with wife nowhere in sight. I asked this man a question about his Service Dog and he became agitated and was fumbling his words trying to describe his reasoning for having the dog with him. As a Veteran, this allowance by ships, theme parks and other common areas are a disgrace to those persons who truly struggle day to day and only can manage life struggles by having a Service Dog companion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Jim Lamb That's a really odd circumstance. I didn't think you could get a dog service trained for asthma. Who would have known? I see that this service can have value, but in an instance like this, it's just frustrating. I'm not a dog lover, as so many others are, so I'm not the most supportive here, but I don't agree with lying just to bring your pet onboard a cruise ship. I do believe service animals can be helpful, but it oftentimes becomes a cover-up for pet lovers and it can be pretty agitating. I do prefer a pre-free cruise experience. I would imagine those who have a service dog, and rely on their service dog, probably find these other sorts of cruisers to be a nuisance. 

@Jim Lamb Thank you for your service. I really value your feedback here, and I tend to agree with you that service animals need to be better regulated and monitored. I don't think it's fair for cruise guests to break the rules and regulations of a ship without any consequences. If you are receiving defensiveness from the pet owner, chances are that disposition is due to being untruthful and unjust. I don't think you can have a service animal for asthma, but then again, things change every day! Some dogs have been awarded loyalty status for cruising. I'm not going to lie, I may be a little jealous of that dog! @FJB @Woody14 Do you agree? 

• Like 1