Royal Caribbean Unveils Icon of the Seas! What do you think?

So the big news today is that Royal Caribbean finally unveiled Icon of the Seas. Just wondering what everyone thinks of the new class vessel? By the way, she will be 250,800 gross tons, making her the largest cruise ship in the world, when she debuts.

I was stoked for the Wonder, and even more excited for Icon! The new neighborhoods look intriguing. I'm really interested in the new adults only areas as the Solarium is one of my favorite places on Harmony and Symphony. I remember seeing the Symphony in person the first time and blown away by the size. I think with 20 decks and the decks going all the way to end of the ship, this one is going to feel even more massive! 

Edited by Steph Tuomey
Worded incorrectly
  • Like 1

That is a beautiful ship.  FlowRider is my favorite, the line is always long but it is all worth it.  That water slide sure looks amazing.  I always loved RCCL, it truly is a family cruise.  I first brought my daughter along on  RCCL, she was probably too young, and I was carrying her on my hips wherever.  She probably can feel the movement of the ship and does not want to walk at all.  She loved the pool and the slide and the ice cream of course.  We'll most likely go on another.  This Icon of the Seas looks amazing.

We have not been on any of the super duper extra large overweight cruise ships yet. The largest Royal ship we have been on is the Grandeur. The largest ship overall we have sailed is Celebrity Edge. We prefer the smaller vessels but will get on one of these massive ships one day. 

5 hours ago, DeanneB said:

Someone will be on these massive ships and share their story and experience here.  The Icon looks truly amazing and sure looks fun on video.  I am really hoping for a generally positive review/experience.

Different boats for different folks!  Families with teens/preteens will love the icon. Old people like me not so much. But at some point I will get on at least an Oasis class ship to give it a whirl. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

@Steph Tuomey The first engine for Icon of the Seas was started on March 15, and this marks another major construction milestone for this LNG-powered ship! For those of you that don't know, Icon of the Seas is going to be the world's largest cruise ship. It just keeps getting bigger and better. The ship will have 20 decks and a maximum capacity of 7,600 passengers. I can't believe Royal Caribbean is already building its second Icon-class ship that will also be wildly over the top, pushing all the limits and creating new standards for the cruise industry. January 27 will be the inaugural cruise date for Icon of the Seas, making its debut to the public out of Miami, Florida. 

• 2 months later...

I'm really looking forward to it! I'm booked for a family 2 bedroom suite which is a new class of cabin. I've been on all of the Oasis class ships and I think that Royal really has their guest flows down. Never waiting in line and never feeling crowded!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Baowen That's great news! Do you know how many guests the family 2-bedroom suite onboard Icon of the Seas can accommodate? You are truly a lover of the Oasis class ships! I'm impressed to read that you never experience waiting in line onboard these mega-ships. There is something to be said about the RCL operations. How has the embarkation/disembarkation process been when you cruise onboard these ships? 

I read that the ship will have an epic area for the cruise crew onboard Icon of the Seas! I'm so glad to see that RCL is listening to its crew and designing spaces, including staterooms, that will make the busy life of a crew member that much better. After seeing this, I bet tons of crew members will be putting in for a transfer.