Boston to Bermuda to Bar Harbor to Boston. Bar Harbor Restrictions.

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have any updates or been on this cruise.  I just read an article today about the 1000 passenger restriction in Bar Harbor.   Many cruise lines have cancelled Bar Harbor and are going to Portland (Ugh!).    The GEM is still n Bermuda and was supposed to leave at 4:30pm.  I am goingj on this cruise  this month and would rather stay in Bermuda instead of going to Bar Harbor or Portland.

Edited by bombarc
Wrong information
  • Like 2

@bombarc Wow! Thanks for sharing that update. It's such a bummer that NCL Gem is having to reroute and change its itinerary over this. How long would you want to stay in Bermuda? An overnight would be fine, but only stopping there could be a nuisance. How long will your NCL Gem itinerary be that's coming up? Since there is some time before your itinerary, I'm hopeful you will still be able to keep your itinerary as advertised. What do you think the odds off that are?

image.thumb.png.f70021e15f6983faec93a6d6065b9063.png

• 3 weeks later...

@bombarc Thanks for sharing the update! It's exciting you will be on Norwegian Gem next month. Will this be your first time on this ship? I hope you will get to stop in Bermuda and enjoy the island beaches. The weather patterns have been a bit rainy but still look promising. Keep an eye out for the latest news to ensure you are up to date and prepared for any changes that may occur. Norwegian Gem is surely a beauty! 

It appears that any cruise line that has registered with Bar Harbor put them on the itinerary before June of 2022 will not be restricted by passenger size.  If however, they haven't then they will be. I saw on a Holland America report that they will be able to in 2024 because of their early registration.  This allows them to better prepare for 2025 when the passenger limits go into place for everyone.  I do not know if Norwegian is or not. We have a cruise booked in Sept. 2024 and are waiting word, but have not at this point.  I have contacted them but its like they are under order to be silent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@bombarc Any updates on that? 

@thorpemarlene That's interesting insight! I didn't realize early registration made such a difference. I guess it was all about registering before that deadline. That may work out in HAL's favor! 

I hope, for your sake, that NCL will be able to visit Bar Harbor in September 2024. If that wasn't the case, where do you think your cruise would travel to? I think the cruise line should disclose information sooner than later. Hopefully you will be notified of any changes by the end of July. Knowing NCL, the line may wait until the very last minute to give any insight regarding itinerary differences.

@Dick It sounds like your original itinerary hasn't changed any! Will this be your first time on Norwegian Gem? That's going to be a lovely time of year to cruise to Portland considering the climate at the end of the summertime. Fall gets chilly fast in that region! Hopefully @bombarc can give you some insight as to how the cruise itinerary goes before you embark in August. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2024 at 12:40 PM, Cruising Caribbean said:

@bombarc Any updates on that? 

@thorpemarlene That's interesting insight! I didn't realize early registration made such a difference. I guess it was all about registering before that deadline. That may work out in HAL's favor! 

I hope, for your sake, that NCL will be able to visit Bar Harbor in September 2024. If that wasn't the case, where do you think your cruise would travel to? I think the cruise line should disclose information sooner than later. Hopefully you will be notified of any changes by the end of July. Knowing NCL, the line may wait until the very last minute to give any insight regarding itinerary differences.

Still no reported change into Bar Harbor.  We have never been to Arcadia which i know is beautiful, so thats why we want to stop there.  As far as where else they could stop, who knows, it could be Portland, Eastport , or perhaps another day in Canada.   I would really be disappointed if they did that.

• Like 1

@thorpemarlene Thanks for the update. Arcadia sounds so lovely, and I hope you get the opportunity to stop there! As someone who isn't Canadian, an extra day in Canada wouldn't be the worst. I think the worst would be no replacement stop. Have you been to Portland or Eastport in the past? Will this be your first time cruising out of Bar Harbor? I have not cruised from Bar Harbor before, but this area has had some true hardship recently! 

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are from Maine, the coast line is beautiful no matter where you go. Arcadia is a must see if the cruise line goes to Bar Harbor.  If they change into Portland i would suggest going to the Portland Head Light, its beautiful overlooking Portland Harbor, Cape Elizabeth etc. the lighthouse is one of the most photographed lighthouses in the world. If you go to Eastport there is not a lot there except maybe Pres. Roosevelts summer home, small villages on the ocean. One other place i just remembered that is cheap but pretty cool is that there is a "mailboat" passenger vessel that goes from the waterfront to about a few different islands in Portland Harbor, very inexpensive, great views, you can jump off and get a lobster roll etc and catch the next run, no problem

• Like 1

@thorpemarlene Thanks for providing this information on Arcadia! I actually haven't gone there before. The Portland Head Light also sounds like a great adventure to do before hopping on your cruise itinerary. I really appreciate these tips. I have yet to cruise from Bar Harbor, but it's definitely a port I plan to cruise from in the near future. Photos like this make me want to visit sooner than later! The city seems like a lovely one to explore.

image.thumb.png.3673ba7994d384d5f0e6cda9e224740f.png