Cruise Hive Boards

We just returned from Bermuda, it has always been one of our favorite places to cruise to. It's been 2 years since we last visited. When did the beaches start to charge you a fee? Elbow beach was $25.00 a person plus if you wanted a chair or an umbrella they were each an additional $25.00. I understand that maybe a small fee would be in order but come on, $25.00 pp is a bit much.

• Like 1

I agree 100%, this was our 12th time to Bermuda. I learned about the charge before we left the ship so we decided to stay on board.  With that said I can't help but wonder how is the money being spent? Or is the Bermuda Government doing this to keep the beaches from becoming over crowded?

• Like 1

@rindybar That's such a shame! When did Bermuda start charging like this? Possibly this whole system came into place after the shutdown. That's most likely. You clearly know Bermuda well. I haven't visited Bermuda since 20 years past. the money is likely being spent on repaying all of the are's losses. It just going to the pockets of those who lost when cruise guests weren't visiting. I don't think this per person pricing has anything to do will making the beaches less crowded. Some beaches will become more exclusive than others, and it will be likely due to the price points/proximity to the port/popularity. Many amenities like bathrooms/showers are attractive to guests because not all beach spots offer them. Personally, I find $25 per person too steep and I would look for cheaper alternatives.

image.thumb.png.6dc29e10ebe60642b31780a7a16bd4ed.png

@rindybar Thanks for the insight. I will need to learn more about each beach's new price before I go. I would be pretty upset to realize that the costs have unexpectedly skyrocketed. I have a large family. Going to a beach that charges per person would make the experience over $100 for my family. I don't really even need all of those chairs, but an umbrella is a must. My family spends most of the time in the water or on the shore anyhow. Those are some steep prices, but I have read Bermuda is continuing to gain popularity even though it's not getting any cheaper to visit.

I believe there is an element of everything that is posted. I believe they may have seen others charging fees and realised how much money that it brings to the economy and decided to jump onboard. If they double their money, then they are ahead. It will also keep people away from beaches amidst overcrowding, so it's kind of a win win to them. If half of travellers decide not to go to Bermuda because of the monies involved, then they achieved their goals of not having the amount of people on the island without losing any money, because the extra fee covers that loss.

• Like 1

@LukeJ Bermuda isn't the only place that has started doing things like that. So many areas got into debt during the shutdown. It was a huge loss, and that's when cruise destinations had to figure out how to recover those losses. Keeping guests away from the beaches doesn't necessarily have a benefit. The only thing I think about is keeping the waterways crystal clear because of sunscreen. Reef-safe sunscreen is really important, and most guests don't use it. When guests wear improper sunscreen it really ruins the clarity of the water and the quality of the local reefs/natural habitat. Many Caribbean destinations request that guests use reef-safe sunscreen to preserve the marine life. 

On 5/14/2024 at 2:58 PM, Cruising Caribbean said:

@rindybar Thanks for the insight. I will need to learn more about each beach's new price before I go. I would be pretty upset to realize that the costs have unexpectedly skyrocketed. I have a large family. Going to a beach that charges per person would make the experience over $100 for my family. I don't really even need all of those chairs, but an umbrella is a must. My family spends most of the time in the water or on the shore anyhow. Those are some steep prices, but I have read Bermuda is continuing to gain popularity even though it's not getting any cheaper to visit.

I didn't think about suncream affecting the clarity of the water. It makes sense now you say it like that, and I can totally agree with you. From the UK, it's rare that we get much sun, so sunscreen is something we don't tend to think much about. I still believe it's very steep to charge people that fee as most will probably stay onboard rather than paying it. I understand there was a debt because of lockdown, and just think that a more pragmatic thinking outside of the box is needed instead. 

• Like 1

@rindybar That's just horrible! The fact that you have to pay to get on aa beach and not use the amenities is quite silly. If this becomes the cost for each port of call's beach price, you may catch me walking off the cruise ship with my own personal beach umbrella. Unless there are trees at the beach (which is uncommon) shade is necessary but hard to find. I'm sure I could find a cheap, collapsible beach umbrella that I would get my money's worth out of pretty quickly. Considering I cruise quite frequently, it would be. great investment. 

@LukeJ It's a real thing! Reef-safe sunscreen is super important. The only downside to using it is that it typically costs a bit more than regular sunscreen. I agree. One thing to consider is that cruise ports are busier than ever before. It's a gradual rebound, but the areas will certainly rebound. It's happening as I speak!