Carnival Scooter Policy

I just read an article on my phone about Carnival getting strict on scooters especially OVERSIZE SCOOTERS and I think it's LONG OVERDUE!!

Years ago there were no scooters!! They hadn't been invented yet!!

In fact years ago the average cruiser was YOUNGER AND HEALTHIER!!

Now the average American is OVERWEIGHT AND THE NUMBER OF MORBIDLY OBESE PEOPLE IS TEACHING EPIDEMIC PROPORTIONS!!

The fact of the matter is if it weren't for the plethora of new medications invented over the last decade or two many of these folks wouldn't be alive or able to do the things they are able to do!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope this reply will help to change your way of thinking. Being disabled or handicapped is not usually a choice. People have fought to keep your country safe and have sustained injuries in doing so that cause them to be physically incapable of exercising, walking or standing for more than a couple of minutes. Do you think these people should be denied the ability to go on a vacation now? Why don't we deny blonde haired people. Or maybe let's ban Jewish people. Is a scooter really such a bothersome thing for you to look at?

• Thanks 1

I think they ought to change their scooter policy entirely! Many people take scooters to use ashore as they can't walk long distances but they are forced by many cruise lines to occupy an accessible cabin if they're taking a scooter, thus denying wheelchair/scooter dependant people the use of an accessible cabin, surely they could have scooter parks especially on the larger ships & then those that don't need an accessible cabin wouldn't have to have one.

• Thanks 1

@Amythest2112 This is a strong and bold comment. Yes I agree that the "scooter crackdown" is called for, but I do think those with scooters shouldn't be welcomed aboard. It's discriminatory for cruise lines to not allow scooters or those with mobility differences to participate in the world of cruising! There should be better rules and regulations to make ships more accommodating, but I don't see the problem with scooters. Maybe those that don't have mobility issues should opt for the stairs more often. It keeps you healthy and strong if you are able!

@CaptainHunter Thanks for sharing your perspective here!

@jane Ashmore Brown Scooter parks are a great idea. I also think accessible stateroom should be strictly dedicated for those with mobility issues! That's what they are for anyhow!

• Thanks 1

I find it reprehensible that Carnival doesn't have a dedicated place to park your scooter overnight.  99% of the staterooms will not accommodate a mobility scooter as the door is too narrow.  If they go ahead with their decision to deny boarding I believe they will do so in violation the the A.D.A. About a year ago I took a cruise on a different cruise line and of course my scooter wouldn't fit. The cabin steward would come and get it from me and take it to a designated area and then deliver it to me the next morning. A bit of a pain but I understand as you can't clog the aisles. My next cruise I have booked a room that will accommodate my scooter. But I had to book it over a year out to be able to get that type of cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's step back from the edge a moment and be clear.  CCL is not proposing to deny you boarding solely based on the fact you have a mobility scooter.  They aren't taking away your ability to take a cruise vacation if you must use a mobility device.  Scooter users are just as welcome as anyone BUT they must follow the rules CCL establishes for recognized safety concerns, just like everyone else must do.  You are on a ship, that has finite space, and an overarching first priority to keep everyone safe onboard — crew and passengers.

That's why there are specific rules about smoking and the banning of such items as candles, firearms, fireworks, flammable substances, etc.  It's a bigger picture perspective that has to be considered.  CCL has had this policy in place for years.  They are just now ramping up enforcement because it's become a real problem with people ignoring the rules.

Yes, there are multiple versions of accessible cabins available to book that will accommodate various disability needs.  And, yes, you may need to plan ahead to insure you get the type of cabin you want — which by the way is true with everyone who books a cruise (we've already booked back in 2023 our 2025 cruises for example to insure we get a particular balcony room we want) — and not unreasonable to ask.  First-come, first-serve.

What CCL is however saying is that scooters cannot be stored in corridors or public areas for safety reasons.  They must fit through the door of your cabin.  And, guests must be able to collapse or fold them for storage in a way that allows for safe exit from the stateroom.  Guests with scooters are being given several options: to use a collapsible scooter that will fit comfortably in the stateroom (they will even work with you to rent one at the port), to travel without a scooter if they are able, to change their ship or sailing date in order to reserve a stateroom that will accommodate the scooter, or to cancel their cruise for a full refund.

I consider that all very reasonable and accommodating to everyone on the ship, including mobility users, to make the cruise both safe and enjoyable for all.  So, plan ahead, and follow the rules for everyone's sake.

• Thanks 2

@KeithK This is awesome feedback! Thanks for sharing! You are flexible and understanding; those are great character traits to have. When cruising with a mobility device you must have patience because navigating large crowds in tight spaces can be a challenge! If you have the right mindset, cruising can be great for everyone, especially CCL. 

@RoadTravelled Thank for this. You are right; CCL is not proposing those that plan to cruise with a mobility device will not be able to cruise. CCL does a really great job at making cruising accessible to all. Booking in advanced to get the best stateroom isn't the end of the world. It can be annoying, but I do it all the time because I need an affordable stateroom with a larger capacity which is very hard to come by. You just have to be a bit flexible while also realizing that what CCL has proposed is pretty reasonable and fair. 

• Like 1