Cruise Hive Boards

Mobility Scooters

Highly disappointed with princess letting mobility  scooters sit in the hallways blocking access to the hallways. I do believe in these scooters to assist disabled guess but the rudeness these people have to block emergency access is unacceptable and need to be rolremived by housekeeping.

• Thanks 2

That's the issues I believe these cruise lines are facing these days. They understand that mobility scooters are needed, however as you've stated people have been ignorant and very rude in where they put themselves scooters, that something needs to be done. I despise rude people at the best of times, and the way they speak to you is disgraceful. I know carnival are putting plans in place to stop certain size scooters from going onboard. Maybe that will catch on with every cruise line. If not, give a point system, if a scooter is blocking somewhere, then give them a warning. If they do it again, or speak rudely to staff who ask them to move them aside, then simply throw the thing overboard into the sea. If they continue, throw them over too.

• Thanks 1

@hi Sunshine This is an obvious safety issue cruise lines are beginning to crack down on. CCL is one of those cruise lines that is trying to be more strategic about mobility scooters in the halls. A big factor to this is accessibility cabins. A guest with a mobility device should book an accommodating cabin that fits the device inside, so it doesn't block the walkway. The halls are small enough as it is, so its important cruise lines become more vigilant about keeping the halls clear and properly accommodating all guests booked onboard. 

@LukeJ You and I feel very similarly! The idea of ticketing scooters isn't a bad one, as long as cruise lines are giving realistic expectations for those with mobility scooters. Cruise lines can't expect guests to store their scooters out of the hall if they don't provide appropriate options and accommodations. Let's just hope there are better protocols set in place to keep the hallways walkable and clear. 

They do need a clear instructions on what they can and can't do with the scooters. They also need to provide spaces for them put them away, and that way there is no excuses when the passengers don't do what is expected of them. I always find that companies demand certain ways and don't always provide the tools needed.

• Thanks 1

@hi Sunshine There just has to be a better way! I don't understand why blocking emergency exits is permitted either. It should be against protocol. If a guests will be traveling with a mobility device, it needs to be kept out of the walkway. There could be an option where the stateroom attendant stores it somewhere out of the way or a cruise guests manages to store it inside of their stateroom. most staterooms should be able to accommodate a scooter inside of it. It's the courteous thing to do anyways. The hallways are tight enough without scooters in the way.

@LukeJ You are spot on!