NCL Bar Harbor Cruise Restrictions

Does anyone know if Norwegian will substitute Portland, ME for its scheduled Bar Harbor visits due to passenger restrictions recently enacted?   We are sailing on the Sky out of Baltimore on September 7, 2024.

• Thanks 1

@Rlafer That's a really good question! I would think the cruise itinerary will remain unless otherwise stated. Has NCL reached out to you with details that refer otherwise? What ports of call are you currently slated to have? Will this be your first cruise onboard Norwegian Sky? It's a solid ship with the perfect guest capacity and size! It's not too big but not too small either; it's just right. 

On 3/4/2024 at 3:54 PM, 3Sisters said:

@Rlafer That's a really good question! I would think the cruise itinerary will remain unless otherwise stated. Has NCL reached out to you with details that refer otherwise? What ports of call are you currently slated to have? Will this be your first cruise onboard Norwegian Sky? It's a solid ship with the perfect guest capacity and size! It's not too big but not too small either; it's just right. 

This will be our second cruise on NCL.  We did Alaska from Seattle last fall. This September we will do New England and Canada from Baltimore with port calls of Boston, Bar Harbor ?, St John, NB;Halifax;Sydney;Charlottetown;Saguenay and Quebec.

• Thanks 1

@Rlafer It seems like it was a good first NCL experience if you are coming back for seconds! There is another cruiser in the group @Rainy who is looking into an NCL New England/Canada cruise as well. These are excellent stops! How long is this itinerary? I have been looking into an itinerary similar to this one that would depart from Boston or a nearby US port. Which port of call are you most excited for? Hopefully you aren't most excited for Bal Harbor! I saw the ordinance that was placed to limit cruise guests to a maximum of 1,000 per day. If NCL is offering the stop, I would assume it may still actually stop there unless you are otherwise notified. Hopefully, it ends up happening despite these regulations in place! 

On 3/4/2024 at 10:37 AM, Rlafer said:

Does anyone know if Norwegian will substitute Portland, ME for its scheduled Bar Harbor visits due to passenger restrictions recently enacted?   We are sailing on the Sky out of Baltimore on September 7, 2024.

We are on the Breakaway from NYC our itinerary includes both Portland and Bar Harbor. So, if Bar Harbor is off, we will likely have another sea day, which we would be okay with. Although I know many folks won't like that idea.    

• Thanks 1

@Grumpa54 When did you cruise this itinerary on Norwegian Breakaway? I'm very curious to hear if your cruise will make a stop inn Bar Harbor! I would imagine if you itinerary stops there so will @Rlafer's cruise. It would be a shame to skip, but there is plenty on both of those lovely ships! An extra sea day doesn't appeal to most, but it could be worse. I have seen cruises that sail to nowhere do to poor weather. That's such a shame, but you have to stay safe! What day does this itinerary stop at Bar  Harbour? 

@3Sisters We leave from NYC on September 8th. I suspect the cruise lines and the local government will have their solution by then.  We also stop at Newport, RI, Portland, St John, NB, and Halifax, NS.   With a sea day back to NYC. 

If we hear anything, I will try to remember to check in here!. 🙂

• Thanks 1

This weekend I heard/learned that any cruise already "booked" into Bar Harbor will be permitted to anchor and send passengers into Bar Harbor, but any future cruises that have not already reserved their spot with the local port, cannot do so,  unless they have fewer than 1000 passengers. Alas, I cannot find my source. 

So I recommend you research this on your own. 

• Thanks 1

@Grumpa54 Thanks for sharing! I would certainly appreciate you sharing any additional news you find out. This itinerary has some other great stops, as if all else fails at least you have those other fabulous stops! Have you done an itinerary like this before? Thankfully, there is some time before you cruise out. Things could still change in the interim. This is an awesome supporting article! In fact you may be cruising to Bar Harbor after all @Rlafer! I love how on the ball you are about the cruise industry and your upcoming itinerary. Is this your first time cruising with NCL?