Cruise Hive Boards

Cruises in the future..

After reading about the eco friendly cruises that are rolling out, it's nice to see the future is looking bright. I wonder what far fetched futuristic ideas that we would like to see onboard in the future. 

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ Cruise ships seem to be advancing everyday! They offer so many amenities, it's hard to think of anything else that could be added honestly. Off the top of my head I'm thinking a make it yourself, Melting Pot style restaurant could be so fun! Anything in the fondue category could be a hit. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing a ship that already offers a dining experience like this onboard. 

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

I am very interested in technology and engineering. I love the designs and the thinking behind the present cruises as it is. So just to have a think about future cruises does excite me. Basic ideas I believe like having a chip in your arm open your doors would be cool. Drones with your deliveries maybe, right to your stateroom. Create your own music file for your room.

@LukeJ I also view the future of cruising as bright and successful, but I really hope the ships don't keep getting bigger! The size we are at now seems big enough. In terms of chips opening doors, we are on our way to that. That's something I wouldn't participate in. I wouldn't participate in the micro chip idea at all as a regular form of payment or identification either. Drones down the hallways would be fun but possibly hazardous because of the limited space. The hallways are so narrow onboard! It can be hard when a scooter is crossing for sure. A music playlist for your room is ingenious! That should already be a thing! I usually just play it on speaker on my phone. I would love a pool with music playing underwater like the Hard Rock has. That would be so easy to do! I'm going to think of more futuristic additions and get back to you on this. 

@LukeJ A patent sounds like a great idea for those excellent, one-of-a-kind experiences. It's would be so cool to great an ingenious idea that others loved so much they were willing to pay a royalty to replicate. That's one incredible idea! I would love to see a vending machine with drinks onboard. It could be such a great addition to a ship, and the line could eliminate one bar tender per ship. I could see this becoming very popular out by the pool. Speaking of out by the pool, I would love some misters. Some misters near the loungers would be so fabulous. Can you imagine the competition for pool loungers if misters were thrown into the mix? I'm sure a scooter only elevator could be a nice thought too. A scooter only hallway could be great. A wider hallway for guests with mobility challenges. Imagine this, a moving walkway for those needing assistance with mobility. The downside could be that guests fake a disability to receive these perks. That would be a shame, but unfortunately, it wouldn't surprise me. 

What a career to have a job where you can come up with ideas like this to improve cruises. It would be the best. How about speakers under the water at the pool so you can hear songs as you swim. Or a dryer corridor you walk through and it dries you so you're nice and dry before commencing with your next activity.

• Like 1

How about a massive TV on the front of the ship for live sports. It can rise from the deck, and allow everyone to chill outside while watching the football etc.. or a massive slide from the top of the cruise into the sea.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I vote drier corridor! That's genius. Can you imagine just walking through this corridor post-pool into the buffet area? How glorious would this be? I love this idea. The ships could also use a better system to dry the floors of the entryways post-pool. Guests walk in all wet and make the floors all slippery. It's hazardous. Self dying floors could be excellent. I'm not sure how cruise lines could achieve this but it would be a game changer for cruise ships. 

@PaulB that would be a marvelous invention. I can imagine lying in the pool, drink in hand watching a game of sorts. Life would seem perfect then. You would still have the views that surrounds you, for a quick glance to survey the beauty, and go back to the game. @3Sisters yeah that would also work, I'd have no idea how it could work. Maybe it would have very small breathable holes in the floor and it can allow any moisture to sleep through.

• 1 month later...

@LukeJ The idea of a drier corridor sounds great. I agree that a porous, non-slip but highly absorbent floor would work best. Maybe it could be like the car wash, blowing dry warm air as you enter! I would love a way for each room to have its own water refill area. There are already sinks and show, so what is one more water spout? Even if the room charged your account per bottle filled, it would be more convenient to have it handy in your stateroom when you are thirsty! I guess the mini fridges have plastic bottles, but eventually plastic bottles onboard will be no longer. 

image.png.7f95ba5f72cb1d3e3f8f5026718e76eb.png

The juice on sale in UK shops are made from cardboard. We could also have that with water. Anything that could regress into the ground, and help the environment is always a good thing. There is so much more we can do, and it all begins with people's positive attitude and the decisive action we as a society need to bring to the forefront. 

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ Wow, juice in cardboard boxes is a great choice! I'm sure they are lined with a questionable substance, just like cans but it's a really great idea. It's rare I see drinks in boxes in the US but there are some, particularly at higher end stores. Things that are compostable/recyclable are always the better choice, but cardboard straws annoy me. I have children that chew on straws and they last a matter of two minutes before they are disintegrating. Reusable bottles are great, but you still have to use soap and water to clean them. That has an impact on the environment too. It's always something. Sometimes you just have to choose the lesser of the two evils. 

image.thumb.png.dd4fbad3c52cfcce452c0d243b68d45d.png

• Thanks 1

How about a Guest Relations "eject" button.  Anyone with a complaint must sit in a special chair at Guest Relations while airing their grievance.  If the majority of his/her fellow passengers in the lobby feel they are being petty or unreasonable, an ejection button is pushed and the wank giving the staff a hard time is dumped.

• Haha 1

@LukeJ If it's a cardboard straw versus no straw, I will choose no straw. The ice on my teeth isn't always the best, but I get very impatient trying to suck up fluids through a dysfunctional device. Maybe that's the whole point of cardboard straws, to deter guests from even enjoying the thought of a straw! That's one way for the beverage department to save money.

@Seaawgs That's something I did not think of, but it certainly made me laugh. An eject button could be a worthwhile thought, but maybe a safe room end location would be best. I would support with this idea if the person was "dumped" to a safe room, not "dumped" off of the ship. Some guests probably deserve that, but a safe holding area is more reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised if every ship has a safe holding area onboard already!

It's as if some don't think things through. They just think we need to use recycling products as everyone is all environmentally minded, but don't put any thought in the actual product itself. Yes it's better for the planet, but not for us the consumer as an actual credible functioning product. If they want to do better saving the planet, let's not have waste. Ask Amazon not to pack a small tiny product in packages that could cover a car. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I love the idea of cruise lines become more environmentally friendly. I would be happier if cruise lines offered stainless steel straws for purchase on the ship, particularly by the bar. If you don't have one already, stainless steel straws are easy to bring along the only annoying part is cleaning them. It's not that hard to do it's just annoying, but I prefer it over cardboard straws. Silicone straws are easy too! Since I'm pretty much a wine/water-only drinker, the straw issue doesn't really impact me. I typically bring my own reusable water bottle along, and you won't catch me drinking my wine with a straw. In the future I would expect more interactive ways to enter your stateroom such as facial recognition onboard. Paying with your face will likely happen as well. There won't even be a need to bring along your room key or even a bracelet in the future. 

@Kendall James-Vargas personally I would get rid of all straws anyhow. It can be convenient for some, but just get rid. Start again. I love the idea of paying with facial recognition onboard, that would be a great idea. However I can see how that could cause some issues, getting charged for things you never ordered. What if your doppelganger was on the same ship ha ha

• Like 1

Instead of getting rid of all straws, why not go vintage with wax-coated paper straws? Some children and "seniors" need them.  They could be requested if wanted.  But PLEASE get rid of the slimy candy straws. We see them in empty tipped over drink cups left in  hallways and the straws stick to the carpet. So disgusting and loads of work for the crew members who have to clean up the messes!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@LukeJ I do believe facial recognition already exists onboard, but not to the extent of paying/opening doors with your face. It's mostly used for security purposes onboard. I don't think I have ever tried was straws. Food grade wax is pretty safe, but I wonder if it's recyclable. I always think something (like a plastic bag) could be recyclable but it really isn't. The amount of things you are actually supposed to recycle is pretty limited. @Senior Cruiser Tipped over drinks in the hallways are a mess regardless! I wish food items didn't get left in the halls like that. Also, why is seemingly every stateroom hallway carpeted? The only thing I can think of is for noise absorption, but they are such a pain to keep clean! 

Edited by Cruising Caribbean

I see what you're saying now. My fault, should have realised the present is probably as not as advanced like any sci-fi movies we watch nowadays. In time, we will be paying via facial recognition or a chip in the arm or some style. 

• Like 1

@Senior Cruiser Those straws are the worst! The only reason I enjoy straws because of my teeth sensitivity. The drinks onboard are always served with ice, and I prefer my drinks tepid. It's actually better for you not to consume ice cold beverages. My teeth are really sensitive to the cold drinks so a straw makes a difference for me.

@LukeJ The chip in the arm thing is already happening! Many stores are beginning to accept that form of payment as well. I won't be participating in that payment style, but facial recognition is all all around us. I can't escape that. Even when I get on and off my cruises, my face is scanned and I don't even get the opportunity to show my passport.