Cruise Hive Boards

@Rainy That would be an excellent loyalty incentive for guests! Do you typically cruise with Celebrity Cruises? I usually book with a stateroom package that offers a free room service incentive. Free room service for everyone is very rare. I have yet to cruise with HAL, but this is certainly a great perk! How often do you find yourself using the free room service perk? I usually only opt for the occasional breakfast in bed if it's included in the package I choose. I find the food to be the best fresh off the press in the MDR! 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, free room service. That is very rare. I bet the crew members onboard really love that incentive. I cannot imagine how many people would not be using that service if it's free. Poor chefs and maids rushed off their feet while the run around to 70% of the passengers who would like breakfast in bed.

• Like 1

We were on a 12 nite Celebrity cruise the last 2 weeks and not once did we use room service.   And I still gained 4#s having to walk up 4 flights of stairs each morning to fetch my own breakfast.  My oh my the horrors!  

• Thanks 1

Personally I have never used room service ever. Not in hotels or onboard ships, it's just something that has never occurred to me to use. I enjoy walking to the buffet first thing in the morning and sitting with other guests and feeling as if you're on vacation. Similar to if we ever need anything throughout the day, I would just go there and get it. I understand when people say it's easier, and I wouldn't judge anyone if they used the service, just not for me.

• Like 1

@FJB & @LukeJ I too rarely ever use room service, and I also prefer to use the stairs. I use the elevators too, but if you take the stairs you can enjoy more food without having to worry as much. There is too much good food to restrict your diet onboard! If I'm not staying active enough, I definitely come off the ship much heavier. It's not that hard to go and get the food yourself. Unless it's like a super special occasion, I find room service pretty unnecessary. That's probably why I never find the extra cost worth it. Thankfully, I have good working legs, so I might as well put them to work! I had free breakfast in bed for my last two cruises and I didn't use the service once. It was free but unnecessary for me.

• Like 2

I think the main point was as you say, majority get heavier on vacation. It's only natural when you have all the beautiful food on display before you. So to do your necessary steps to help exercise is the simplest way to achieve that. I have no intention on going to the gym when I'm on vacation and want to relax, so this is the next best thing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@LukeJ As long as you don't come down with a bug, I think most cruise guests expect, and are comfortable with, the idea of gaining weight on a cruise. It's best to limit yourself while home, but give yourself less limits on vacation. It's nice not to have to worry about the little things on vacation and let loose. Life is all about balance, right? Staying active is one way to feel confident in eating outside of your typical diet. Another way to feel comfortable with eating more/different foods is just to use portion control! You can eat wheat you want within reason. Many people use intermittent fasting to control their weight, eating whatever they want during a certain timeframe. I personally avoid certain food groups, such as most sugar items like dessert and sugar beverages. Those foods always make me feel horrible and often trigger a migraine. Staying active on the ship/off the ship is another great way to feel confident to eat what you crave!