Cruise Hive Boards

New Lisbon Port Fees

LAM

Cruise companies set an unfortunate example, kissing world government butts, while trying to emerge from COVID restrictions. Sadly, the cruise industry has maintained this posture while world governments line up for round 2. You can't appease parasites. Ridiculous art work, Godmothers and the like only embolden those who cruise lines hope to placate. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@LAM That removal would be a rude awakening for Lisbon! I hope it never has to get to that. I don't know why these fees are going up, but it isn't a good look. I think Lisbon can really get away with these minimal increases because many cruise lines are still going to stop there regardless. Guests will have to step in and complain, hopefully making an impact. It's all about turning a larger profit margin and boosting the local economy, but I hope these increases in Lisbon aren't the beginning of a trend of inflated port taxes and fees to come.

What we are looking for is companies to come out and say to people that they are sorry that customer service is not as good as it should be, and that there is no excuses for prices going up for little in return.

• Like 1

@Seaawgs Unfortunately much of what you are saying is quite accurate. The pandemic unfortunately changed the game for cruise lines, and they were forced to do whatever the government said in order even to have a hope of getting back to a state of "normalcy." Now some destinations are taking advantage of that. I see that many regions want to recover from the shutdown losses, but why are cruise guests having to take on that burden? Obviously, cruisers are catching on and it's a shame. 

I agree with PaulB. Customer service isn't what it used to be, and cruise lines keep having to jack up the prices for a diluted experience. I miss those old cruise days. Although I don't think the price increase for the port fees in Lisbon is that excessive, it all adds up. 

@LAM One of the biggest factors here is that most cruise guests are willing and able to spend a little extra. Many new cruisers that don't follow as closely as we do, don't even realize the prices are increasing. That bit of unawareness is a huge factor here because it's pretty easy for ports to get away with this without many even noticing! The key to preventing unnecessary increases is awareness and spreading awareness. Unfortunately, most cruisers just want an easy and affordable vacation. The customer service decline doesn't even impact the infrequent or novice cruiser. It's the seasoned cruisers who have to stand up and speak their minds on these topics. Otherwise, it will likely just be swept under the rug. 

@Kendall James-Vargas so true. Fares fluctuate hundreds of dollars from day to day so $5 is negligible. It's ironic that ports heavily patronized by walk-off cuisers are issuing extra fees. Lisbon is one of the few European ports with easy walking access, beauty and a variety of activities. While that sounds good, fewer cruisers take sponsored excursions (cash cow) in these types of port. We older, veteran cruisers need a good reason to lure us from our beverage package lair. 

• Thanks 1

@Seaawgs The fluctuating fares never cease to surprise me. My rule of thumb is, if I spot a great price, I have to put the deposit on it the same day if I really want it, or else it's subject to change. Walk-off passengers are dollar signs for any port of call. That's a really good point you make. Lisbon knows this slight increase isn't going to impact cruisers in the slightest. Yes, some avid cruisers are going to become angered by this, but for the most part, it's not going to make a difference. Those who want to cruise to Lisbon are still going to cruise there, and to be honest, it sounds worth it.