Mavis Jones

Currency South America

My  friend and I are cruising to South America in Jan/Feb 24 with stays in Buenos Aires and Santiago. I shall be using my Revolut Card, but need cash for smaller purchases. Are we better off using US Dollars to pay for things or exchange for local currencies? I did not realise there were so many different pesos!!

• Like 1

Local currency is always best. Most cruise ships will offer to exchange dollars for local currency for a small premium. You will find the exchange rate will fluctuate from store to store if you use US dollars and the ability to give back change will vary as well. The conversion rate for the two countries mentioned will require a calculator for sure. Buying those currencies before you go will probably prove expensive. 

• Like 1

@Mavis I second what @Seaawgs said. It is going to be much better to exchange your currency ahead of time. You will get a much better price for goods, especially when shopping at artisan markets. Sometimes you can even exchange currency through your bank ahead of time for a better rate. I recommend contacting your local branch to see if they offer that service. Oftentimes if you pay in U.S. dollars the price will naturally be higher due to having to exchange it after the fact. Also, it's one of the biggest ways to prove you are a tourist and charge you more. 

@Mavis You will be much better off doing your due diligence ahead of time by exchanging the currency. Since you still have over a month before your cruise embarks it would be worth it to go the extra mile and get your currency exchanged. As someone who has traveled to South America more recently, I can tell you paying in the native currency will end up saving you money. Will this be your first time cruising to South America? I hope you have plenty of time to explore beyond the traditional cruise excursion; I can't recommend more. Santiago is supposed to be amazing; my brother-in-law is from there and my mom has visited. You will have an awesome cruise! 

We have 3 days in Santiago and 3 days in Buenos Aires. I have done lots of research and just can't wait. BUT making a decision is not so easy because of the choices. I am sure my friend and I will have a brill time and have a great cruise to South America and Antartica. We can't wait!!

PS. Any tips on particular places in Santiago/must have visits in Santiago that are not on an excursion visit. Nothing with too much climbing though!!

Many thanks

• Like 1

@Mavis Wow, that's such a cool cruise itinerary! Both Santiago and Buenos Aires are going to impress you beyond your expectations. I have seen the Sky Costanera in Santiago, a beautiful building to tour to take photos with a sky view.

https://www.skycostanera.cl/en

I added the link above if you decide to explore that option while there. Getting out into nature will definitely be good to do at least one day in both Santiago and Buenos Aires. They are both beautiful cities, but the natural elements in the surrounding areas are breathtaking! 

• 1 month later...

@Mavis You nailed it on the head! There is so much to do in both Santiago and Buenos Aires. The terrains vary and the options are endless. My mom has been to sounds vineyards nearby Santiago, and still faves how amazing the experience was. If you are a wine lover, I highly recommend taking a trip out to wine country for an unforgettable tasting experience! The food is also spectacular. I hope you share all of your favorite experiences from your trip with us! 

@Crazycruizin I do agree that watching the exchange rates is a great idea. You want to try and exchange at the best rate possible! Doing it beforehand will definitely save you time and money. What was your favorite part about your Buenos Aires trip?