Cruise Hive Boards

How large will cruise ships get?

Emrys

I wouldn't be interested in cruising on this monstrosity. I can't imagine the lines for the elevators, and there is no way I would take the stairs on this bad boy. Mega ships aren't my thing. I prefer a more peaceful and quaint experience. If cruise ships keep expanding at the rate they have been, I will become an avid "older ship" guest. Why is everyone so interested in cruising on such large ships? Smaller ships are quaint and more peaceful. That tranquility aligns more with the cruise experience I enjoy. 

• Thanks 1

It's safe to say this mega monstrosity is someone's photoshopping exercise of a nightmare. @Cruising Caribbean You are absolutely correct, this 'design' would tip over, unless there is a rather deep keel, making it completely impractical to dock anywhere.

As long as we are 'crystal balling' the future, @Kendall James-Vargas you are way too conservative. I say go double the ICON Class with 15,200 guests! They can name it "Village of the Seas". Even today, weld two ICON Class ships together side by side, add some connecting passageways, and create the world's largest catamaran. Woohoo!

Someday, there will be a practical upper limit. Technology is not the limit here.

@kefthecruiser It's almost scary to look at! Novice cruisers may see this ship and think it's epic, but there is no way I would trust it. Do you really think that the cruise ships will get that large? I can't imagine a ship with a capacity of 15,200 guests, possibly because it hasn't been done before. That's so funny! I'm picturing it now, the world's largest catamaran. Welding two Icon class ships together is quite creative. Now all I need is a good visual like the one above. Maybe you can sketch out the design for us! 

It doesn't bear thinking about. Each company will want to get bigger and better than the last, and I fear it will be relentless. I could see that image being real, and have a mega ship in a similar mould. They call cruises city on the sea now, I wonder how many the future can hold. 

Surely they can't keep getting bigger. They are big enough as it is. It may sound and look appealing to the customer, but as we've already stated on these forums, customer service is pretty low as it stands. So if we were to go bigger, then there would require a substantial increase in the quality needed onboard, which as it stands, I can't see happening.

• Like 1

@LukeJ From the standpoint of safety and design, it's hard to conceptualize how ships could continue to expand in guest capacity. Cruise ships already hold so many guests and crew members at a time. I know all cruise lines try to keep on trend, which happens to be expanding at exponential rates. Even the amount of ships being produced all at once is so rapid, that it's hard to keep up. After having such a strenuous couple of years during the pandemic, it's wild to see how the cruise industry has "rebounded" and continues to expand at such an exponential rate. As someone who prefers the "old ways" of cruising and the smaller ships, it's not as appealing to visualize cruising on anything larger than what's out there on the market today.

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

I totally agree that this ship would be practical, but another design, as you mentioned, could be utilized to get a similar effect. Can you imagine how many restaurants this ship would need to properly feed all of these guests? I'm comfortable with the sizes for today's ships. It seems unnecessary to keep going larger, but I know that's the current industry trend. Another factor to consider would be navigating the ship. The lines at the buffet may be the longest to date! 

Yes I can't see the need to keep getting bigger other than massaging the ego and patting the back of the ones who are running the cruise lines, as they feel the need to be number 1. There is so many knock on effects with these larger ships, from customer service, to possible empty rooms as they will struggle to always fill the staterooms, environment could possibly have an effect, as surely what could happen to the seas when you have these huge ships constantly sailing back and forth.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ The idea of building larger ships doesn't seem very financially responsible either. Many cruise lines are still rebounding from the pandemic. These multi-million to multi-billion dollar builds take years to recoup and break even on the initial investment. I really believe the only reason why cruise lines keep going bigger and newer is to keep competitive; otherwise, they won't be the top dog. The quality of cruise experience on these larger ships definitely seems diluted and commercialized. I prefer a more personalized, quality cruise experience. 

@LukeJ It's interesting to be a bystander and watch the industry trends. At first, the industry is on a steady incline, the industry is booming and then the next moment there is a crash. Cruise lines are struggling to stay afloat due to the cruise ban, and they are working hard to recover from the huge losses they faced. Now, cruise lines are expanding at exponential rates building newer and bigger ships with what money? I hope there isn't an industry collapse, but the guest rates are steadily increasing, but guests don't seem to care much. Cruising became such a novelty after the ban, honestly living normally in general because such a gift! 

You're right, there is much of a change in the cruise industry, it's certainly not as glamorous as it once was. Everyone seems to be going cruising, a novelty as you say, might be correct, and these companies are making enough money with it all, and some posting healthy profits, however still cut costs. It's about time, everyone stood up to these companies and demand better customer service and value for money.

Walmart started out putting small stores in rural communities. Covid proved local population will have the final say on ports of call. Making ships the destination is a hedge against future events and allows passengers to spend more on board. Consider what people spend at Disney World and it's not difficult to see this new direction. 

• Thanks 1

@Seaawgs That's an interesting thought. As much as I don't enjoy this perspective I see why cruise lines are trending this way. Cruise ships are becoming more important than the cruise destinations. The initial investment of creating an exceptionally large and interactive mega-ship pays off in the long run when guests are more likely to spend more and stay longer onboard. I don't prefer this strategy, but it's a strategy of generating maximum income, earning exponentially more, and rebounding from years of loss.