Cruise Hive Boards

Hair Problems While Cruising

A woman who cruised onboard P&O Cruises Britannia had a pretty horrid experience at the salon onboard. I understand what happened to her was upsetting, but what I don't understand is, who gets their hair done on a cruise ship? It has never crossed my mind to get my hair done onboard a cruise. If anything, I get my hair done right before the date of embarkation. Does anyone else get their hair done onboard cruise ships? This news just gives me even more reason not to use the hair salon onboard. 

image.thumb.png.830b991bbc006b6345b8afd58d811e75.png

Looking at my profile pic, you can see that I do not go to the salon often. I can understand why people want to treat themselves and get ready onboard by having make up and their hair done, but after reading the article, I'm not sure how true her claim really is.

• Haha 2

I also prefer taking care of all personal items before my vacation. It's better to go somewhere you trust. If you choose to go to a new hair salon, you run the risk of things like this happening. The salons onboard are pretty pricey too! Unless the salon onboard is super top-notch, it's not worth the price.

@kefthecruiser I like this simple process! I'm definitely more complex with my hair routine, but I don't require any salon service. I'm good with a once-a-year haircut and a blow dryer. Speaking of hair, the CCL body hair completion I used to enjoy as a child is no longer. 

I used to love the hairy chest contest! I understand why it's retiring but I have fond memories of it. The endless belly flops were great poolside entertainment. Does anyone else remember the hairy chest contest?

The hairy chest contest was a blast from the past! CCL has hosted some really creative signature entertainment options that have made the line really fun-focused. When I was younger, I remember my dad winning the contest and making lots of hairy belly flops out by the pool. It was all in good fun and got everyone to laugh. Another great evening entertainment option onboard RCL and some other lines is The Quest! https://www.cruisehive.com/popular-activity-is-returning-on-royal-caribbean-ships/87899

If you ever see this on your cruise agenda, you definitely shouldn't miss it!

image.thumb.png.284b8c0e5eb29646dc8320678bf0b7e7.png

@LukeJ I love the comments from the males in the group. I'm almost jealous of how easy it is to get ready for a male. Although I enjoy all of the girly things, it just takes so much more time!

@FJB I can't even go that long without shaving my legs and underarms! I'm guessing those areas aren't on your general "have to shave" list. 

Open razors made it to the "things you can't take on a cruise" list. At least traditional shave razors are allowed, otherwise, there would be a new poolside scene on the Lido deck.

I honestly feel lucky at how quickly we can get ready if I'm honest. I see my wife start getting ready for when we go out hours and hours before. Honestly, I have no idea whatsoever what takes women THAT long, and I'm not even trying to be rude. I see my wife, and she's been getting "ready" for at least 4 hours and when I ask her how she doing, there is at least another "2 hours" worth of procedure she has yet to do. I mean, what is going on?

• Haha 1

@LukeJ I enjoy taking my time to get ready, but I rarely get the chance. On a cruise ship, I try to dress myself up a bit more than average. I'm usually found on the daily at the playground with a messy bun. Since I'm usually in a time crunch, I have my everyday get-ready routine down to a science. That routine allows me to look a solid 7/10 and gets me (and my 3 daughters) ready faster than it takes my husband. On special occasions, I will take an hour or so for the fun of it. It's nice to have extra time to get ready and not feel rushed! That being said, you won't find me at the salon onboard. Unless I'm having an hour's massage for a special (rare) occasion, I won't be found there. 

• 2 weeks later...

@LukeJ The amount of time I spend getting dressed up mostly depends on my mood. On vacation, I'm in a relaxed mood; I take my time most days. If I'm in a rush to disembark from my cruise, you may see another side of me. Those early disembarkation times often catch me off-guard. I try to enjoy my last night onboard my cruise and then the next morning comes. Usually, I walk off of the cruise like a zombie. I grab a banana from the buffet line and walk down the runway looking like I need another 5 hours of sleep.

Some people are not morning people, including me, and the last thing I would think about is getting ready all tidy and perfect. Takes a good few hours and even then, I'm a jump in shower and quickly get dressed and out. I have family members however that take pride in their appearance and spend hours. So it all depends on the person you are I guess. 

I'm not a morning person either! To be honest, I don't think I'm an evening person either. Mainly, I prefer sleeping overall. If I don't get adequate rest, I'm not a happy camper. That's why when I cruise, I try to sleep in and push my average bedtime back to enjoy all of the fun nightlife onboard. That's very true. Since you aren't a morning person, do you enjoy staying out late? I find there are many more activities onboard a cruise in the evening hours than in the morning. 

14 hours ago, PaulB said:

I'm a jump in shower and quickly get dressed and out. 

This must save a lot of time - getting dressed in the shower!  Please tell us more.  Do you also brush your teeth and comb your hair in the shower as well?  You may be on to something here for lost time….

• Haha 2

PaulB I didn't want to say anything about the profile pic, but it's evident your hairstyle is low maintenance. To be honest, I don't see any hair to have to upkeep! 

@FJB You made me laugh. I usually like the comb your hair/brush your teeth shower combo. It is a time saver and then you get to spend more time in the shower. That's the only way I can potentially escape my children anyway. I happen to love escaping from my children when I can. I hide in my closet on occasion to get a quick pedicure in! 

That's great! I happen to value many things onboard that you may not utilize such as the daily towel changes. I love it when my cabin steward replaces my bath towels on the daily. Having one towel for my body and one for my hair is just the best, especially when they are fresh each day. Since the bathrooms are quite small onboard, it takes forever for a wet towel to dry. It also takes forever for bathing suits to dry in the staterooms too. Even if I have a balcony stateroom, it's not a good choice to leave the suits drying on the balcony because they could fly away!

When my children were younger and they had their friends over, they would tease me about having no hair. I'd act shocked to what they were saying and pretend I had hair, and went to touch my head and to my horror the hair was gone. They thought that was funny. So I'd pretend that everyone would need to look for it. Works well in the garden when they would pull chunks of grass out and proceed to put it onto my head. 

Kids can be so cruel! At least they didn't torture you by styling your hair like mine do. Oftentimes when I'm working my children style my hair to keep entertained. It often goes south pretty quickly. I wouldn't be so keen to have children put grass on my head. You are a good parent; better than I am. Here is a very non-glamorous example of how my two-year-old gives me a makeover as I'm typing at the same time, looking underneath the sunglasses. This photograph is courtesy of my six-year-old.

image.png.0dde6de487f0003791a5e988f169b5a9.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

Kids can be so cruel! At least they didn't torture you by styling your hair like mine do. Oftentimes when I'm working my children style my hair to keep entertained. It often goes south pretty quickly. I wouldn't be so keen to have children put grass on my head. You are a good parent; better than I am. Here is a very non-glamorous example of how my two-year-old gives me a makeover as I'm typing at the same time, looking underneath the sunglasses. This photograph is courtesy of my six-year-old.

image.png.0dde6de487f0003791a5e988f169b5a9.png

You are saving a lot of money by having your kids do your hair - That means more money for cruising! 

• Haha 1