Cruise Hive Boards

Japan sailings

Cwilpa

I would love to see Japan and other parts of Asia but until Princess uses a better ship I will not. The Diamond princess is a rusted old ship and is horrible. I would NEVER take another cruise on this ship.

They need to offer alternative ships for ASIA cruises. Until they do, count me out.

• Thanks 1

@Cwilpa I'm surprised that you are writing this! I was most excited about these new Diamond Princess itineraries, but I have yet to cruise with Princess Cruises. From what I gathered, the itineraries are great but you believe the ship is not. I was under the impression Diamond Princess wasn't half bad. If you wouldn't cruise Asia onboard Diamond Princess, what cruise line would you recommend instead? image.thumb.png.11fe52612acb381e005ebe14a485f764.png

I was also surprised to hear about the Diamond Princess! @Cwilpa's experience may have been unique. Usually. I hear great comments Princess Cruises! Sometimes lines have to skip ports of call, like this Princess cruise, in order to put guests' safety first. https://www.cruisehive.com/princess-ship-skips-scenic-cruising-for-safer-route/111406 

• 2 weeks later...

@LukeJ I happen to agree with you! This is a dream destination of mine so even if Diamond Princess wasn't chalked up to what it's supposed to be, I still would hop on board to get to these destinations. Have you taken an Asian cruise before? If I book an Asian cruise, I want it to be at least 9 days long. I honestly think I would need at least a month of at-sea and on-land exploring. Asia is in fact the largest continent in the world! 

image.thumb.png.59359fd34dbefac4d3ac080c03fb2f2b.png It's hard to say, but I beleive I would want my first Asian cruise to be out of Hong Kong!

https://www.cruisehive.com/hong-kong-sees-major-rebound-with-18-cruise-lines/108403

@LukeJ I understand @Cwilpa's perspective but after I just looked into Diamond Princess' 2024 Tokyo itineraries I about sold myself on booking one! The ship really looks pretty nice and the destinations are incredible. Asia took such a long time to get back to cruising after the shutdown. I'm just thankful everything is up and running again. 

@Cwilpa What were some of the major issues you encountered with the ship other than it being "rusted?"

• 2 months later...

@LukeJ Asia is a dream destination for many! Hong Kong in particular would require extra time to explore. It's such a long flight from where I'm homesteaded, that I would need to take a least a month to explore it. I also think I may need to do this sort of trip when I retire to have the funds and flexibility I would need! Traveling to all 7 counties is something that should be attainable for me. With proper planning, I can make it happen, but it does take extensive budgeting. Downsizing my standard of living would allow for more international trips in the future. 

@LukeJ That's absolutely right! I'm a huge fan of Japanese food. Sushi is my number one choice when I go out to eat, which is quite rare. The reason I usually opt for sushi is because it's one of my favorites and because I can't really make it at home. Realistically I could make it at home but the amount of time and skill it would take just wouldn't be worth it. It requires a good amount of prep work too! For those reasons, I love to go out to eat sushi in particular, and enjoy literal boatloads of it. All Asian food is unique from Korean to Thai, but since I stay away from soy, sushi is an easy yes for me. I just opt for no soy sauce and I still can pretty much order off the entire menu. Chinese food, on the other hand, all has soy in it. 

Do you enjoy seafood? It's funny you mention this because last night I was at my husband's work party and a friend was raving about this new Japanese restaurant that has a black miso sea bass that is "out of this world." Then he told me the price per person and I almost lost my marbles. It's on average about $200 U.S. dollars per person. As someone who rarely goes out, this sounds like a super exclusive place. I doubt I will ever go. Maybe I could mimic the sea bass recipe at home though! I'm always up for a challenge. 

I love seafood too! There is nothing like enjoying seafood in the sea. When I'm on a cruise ship I try and opt for the seafood dishes when possible because it's just too fitting! It may come as a shock to you, but I have never tried Wagyu steak. It's likely been an option for me before, but I chose the seafood option instead. It's about time to give it a go. I have seen it at the store, but I wouldn't want to purchase it fresh and ruin it with improper cooking. My first time eating it should definitely be at a nicer restaurant. I can only imagine it just melts in your mouth. 

Yes I agree that wagyu steak are beautiful to eat. The marbling of the meat is what makes it so tender. And it's such a strong beef taste, it's unbelievable. I too like my meat dishes, and can't get enough. However I'm partial to fish, bit not as much as meat.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I'm jumping into this conversation with the perfect timing. Today was my first time having Wagyu steak sushi and I'm sold. The roll was incredible with a light sauce and tempura asparagus on the inside. It was the most delicious roll, and I typically order seafood rolls. Don't be afraid to try something new. Wagyu sushi is incredible. I would like to try the sushi restaurant onboard MSC Seashore, Kaito Sushi Bar. Has anyone dined in that specialty restaurant before? 

@LukeJ What is something that you have tried and enjoyed without thinking you would? I tried Alpaca Llama, and I thought it would be awful, but it was actually pretty good. Likely, you haven't tried llama before. I had it in Peru, and it's very common. Many more rural towns also eat guinea pigs. I didn't want to try that, it's like eating a rat. Some countries eat rats, but that may be a bit too adventurous for me.

@LukeJ Is it legal to eat horse France? I think it's banned in the U.S. now. There was a time when horse meat was found in the IKEA meatballs. That was a huge scandal! I used to eat the meatballs every so often so I may have actually consumed it without knowing it in the past. 

I'm in shock at your jumping-off-the-plate comment! Where did you have a kangaroo steak? I had no idea kangaroos were consumable! Maybe that's something that could be offered on an Australian-themed night of a cruise. I saw that commentary in another thread. 

I have tried cow heart on skewers. The tough and porous texture of the heart is not appetizing, but the flavor was quite delicious. 

@LukeJ It's so interesting because in the U.S. horses are treated with much care. People truly adore their horses here. I wonder why in some countries it's acceptable to eat certain kinds of meat but in others, it can be totally unacceptable. I don't necessarily have an interest in trying kangaroo and horse but I don't see why it's so unacceptable in the U.S. The kangaroos are not really around in the United States. The only place I believe they inhabit over here is the local zoos. What other meats are commonly consumed but in the U.S. they are banned? 

I'm going to make the bold statement that cats are consumable in other countries but not welcome here.