Cruise Hive Boards

Which ship to choose?

PaulB

My wife as ever always looking ahead for vacations even before we have gone on the next one. She had suggested going onboard an MSC cruise, but didn't know which was the best one for us. We have a young child, so after trying to research, thought it best to ask on here for people's advice and experience.

MSC Cruises is a great choice for those with young children! I'm not sure if you know this bust children 12 and younger cruise free. That's one of the line's biggest incentives. All of the ships offer great kid's club areas, and the line's newer ships have lots of water play areas and family-friendly amenities.  What ships are you looking into? Also, which area are you thinking of cruising? 

@LukeJ I have also noticed many young families onboard MSC Cruises, but the line also offered more mature amenities as well. I think it depends on the ship within the fleet too. MSC Armonia is a smaller, more intimate ship and I found that ship to have less family-friendly options than other, newer ships in the fleet. You can really snag a great deal booking with the line if you learn more about the Voyager's Club, the line's loyalty program. The Voyager's Club offers a status match and you can begin cruising at. a higher rank and get 5% off of cruise bookings through the Voyager's Club booking even if you haven't cruised with the line before. The status match program allows you to match your loyalty status from another agency and start at a higher level if you have a higher status level with another company. For instance, I matched my status with another cruise line and I was able to get my Voyager's Club number and get 5% off my first cruise booking with the line!

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club

That sounds like the best plan of action! Coming from a fellow wife, I have no doubt she will make the right decision. You can sign up with the MSC Voyagers Club program without a solidified booking because it can take a couple of days to process the status match and receive a number. Once you receive your Voyager number, you can create a login and book directly through the Voyager's Exclusives tab. This will give you better incentives for many sailings. If you are interested in earning double points on your booking, you can book a year in advance through the Voyager's area. This will help you reach the higher loyalty tiers faster!

You can always get a head start on that Voyagers Club info for your wife. It's super simple to do! I also think that allowing your wife to take charge of planning your family vacations would be the simplest for you. If she chooses, then you know everyone will be happy with the outcome. As some say, "A happy wife equals a happy life." 

In other MSC Cruises news, the line has announced cancellations of two ships to Israel into January 2024. This is not good news! I'm so sad for all of Israel and the overwhelming terror in the area is just a disaster. 

@LukeJ You are right. It takes two to tango; there has to be fairness involved! Usually, in a relationship, there is one who enjoys making the plans and another who enjoys the plans. In my home, I usually make all of the plans due to the fact that no one else wants to. I have to do it by default since no one else wants to take action!

• Sad 1

Yeah when I wasn't cruising solo I did all the planning for the trips as well but maybe because I'm an A type personality and like to be in charge or in a previous life a party/vacation planner.  The problem with doing it and doing it well the 1st go around and everyone had the time of their lives,  the reward is that everyone looks to you to do it everytime after that...perfection can be trying 😀 

FYI tip regarding loyalty matching. The cruise line will only loyalty match you once, so if you are close to the next level on your normal cruise line I suggest you wait for the loyalty match request from other lines until you reach the next higher level, this way you can maximize the benefits and rewards from the loyalty match as thier tier levels may be vastly different.

Edited by euroguy
  • Like 1

I guess it's important that everyone works together and compromise. My wife to be fair asks my input and I do put it back on her, and then moan when she has done it. But isn't that marriage for you? If you don't annoy your partner at least once a week, you're not doing your job properly. 😂

• Like 1

@euroguy You and I are very similar! That's a great loyalty match tip. Waiting just a bit could be more beneficial in some instances. 

@LukeJ That sounds like a normal, healthy marriage! After being together with someone for a long time you can definitely annoy each other. Everything has a positive and a negative. Although, I wouldn't want it any other way. Who would change the light bulbs anyhow? 

@LukeJ That sounds too good to be true! In fact, I'm in my home starting at the wires from the smoke detector that need new batteries. After this, I think I'm going to create a "honey-do" list. Those aren't always well-received so my plan of action will be to wait until he's had a few brews and then hand it over. 

I tend to have the same approach when I book a new cruise without telling my husband. Timing is everything! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Were you ever able to sign up for the MCS Voyager's Club? Before you book I highly encourage you to do that! The status match program can get you to a higher loyalty status before you even hop on board. I will be cruising with MSC Cruises in February, so if you have any other questions just let me know. I will be cruising on MSC Seashore. Have you looked into that ship? It's currently sailing out of Port Canaveral in Florida. It will be my second time cruising on board, but it's a great ship. Were you able to look into any itineraries that interest you? I know the fleet is so large browsing through the itineraries can be a bit overwhelming. The refundable "down payment" for the cruise is usually only $399 which is reasonable compared to other lines. 

We haven't gone and booked MSC as previously discussed. We decided again to go on P&O. We do love the ships, and think it's so beautiful, we decided on this occasion to go back on it. Maybe after that we will look into going somewhere else.

Edited by PaulB

You will have to let me know how P&O Cruises goes for a family. I usually travel with my children and have yet to cruise onboard P&O Cruises. The major deterrent for me has always been that it's European-based, and I live in the U.S. The flights to Europe can be so expensive, virtually the cost of the entire cruise experience, doubling the overall vacation cost. If you found the cruise experience to be very family-oriented, I may reconsider and save the extra funds to try the line!

Yeah we are planning on the Mediterranean cruise next as we went for the Norwegian fjords cruise this time out and plan to go somewhere warm the next time. Greece and Italy are wonderful historical places, that me and the wife can visit, and hope to add a bit of culture to our young son. We fly over to Malta, which is another historical country in its own right.

• Thanks 1

I can't wait to hear all about it. The Mediterranean is great the waterways to travel through are so majestic! What would be some must-see ports of call for you in the Mediterranean? The Mediterranean will give you the perfectly warm climate you are looking for if you cruise in the right season. Museums can be very hard for the littles, unless of course, it's a children's museum. Malta is the perfect spot for embarkation because it's so centrally located. Quite a few cruises leave out of Malta! Is Malta relatively close to where you fly from? Malata would be a terribly long flight for me to fly from the United States.  It is pretty costly too.

Edited by Cruising Caribbean

@LukeJ I so too! I would love to join in on the Mediterranean cruise too. I have been eyeing a few itinerary options, particularly with RCL. The line has many options for staterooms that are perfect for a larger family group. I hope that I will be able to solidify one in the coming months, but committing to a cruise with RCL is no joke. The deposit is hefty and there is really no wiggle room to change your mind. So when I'm 110% sure it's the right cruise, I will book it. 

That is one of the many reasons cruising with MSC Cruises is nice. The lower, refundable deposit is such a better system than the non-refundable deposit situation RCL offers.

I've been several times to the Mediterranean, and I guarantee you will love the place. Not only is the weather stunning, but the locations and the views are something out of a picture book. I love seeing different locations around the Mediterranean, you really cannot get enough of it. 

• Like 1