Cruise Hive Boards

Sun Exposure

@LukeJ I love that idea! If I was traveling with a group, this game room booking idea would be fabulous. I love playing pool with a solid group of friends. A deposit is very smart, it could be in a monitored area like the arcade. I have to say, I would prefer a pool game over the VR stuff. It just makes me dizzy and confused. I rarely see people using it onboard anyway, and you get like 5 minutes of play. You should submit this recommendation to a few cruise lines. It's a grand idea.

@LukeJ It's so nice to hear you are like-minded in this. VR is such an expensive experience and people pay good money for things like F1 simulators, but I can't stand them either. I wish many cruise lines would replace those amenities with things I would appreciate. Many cruise lines are closing onboard libraries. It would be so cool if those spaces were used for pool games and other table games! 

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-removing-venue-most-passengers-wont-miss/110897

image.thumb.png.ea495b9d46c580cee37934f1d9f8e0a3.png

@LukeJ I rarely see those VP games being used. I doubt it's really as popular as the cruise lines have hyped it up to be. It's a bummer because I truly love the concept of VR, but I never end up enjoying it. What other addition do you think would do well on an unused sun deck? What do you think about shuffleboard or horseshoes? These ideas may be dating me. 

@LukeJ Those are all fun! I love it when guests goof off on vacation and crack me up. I'm not the one to go on stage and make a fool of myself, but I do love a good laugh from someone who is one too deep. My husband danced off for the kids on our last cruise. He actually won and attributed his success to the unlimited beverage package. A shaded or semi-shaded art area would be so fun! I would participate in that. I'm over poolside stretching. 

@LukeJI hope someone got a video of your dance moves! I'm sure you earned the title of winner. I bet you gave it your all. My husband surely did. In fact, I think that was one of the only times I have seen him dance like that. It's all in good fun. That's what happens when I purposefully trap him on a cruise with no cell service or Wi-Fi. He gets a chance to unplug from work and live a little. It's one of the many reasons cruising really works for our family. 

@LukeJ Technology is a funny thing. It's so wonderful to be able to stay connected at any given moment, available at your fingertips. On the other hand, there is no escaping it. So in order to get a true "break," you really have to get away. Thankfully the cruise experience offers that. I would rather spend money to not have wifi on our family cruise. It may sound silly, but I mean it!

@LukeJ I'm surprised you agree! We are likely the minority. I believe more guests prefer the wifi and see it as a perk. As much as I love the idea of having wifi access, it's not the optimal decision for our family cruise. If I had to work on vacation, which is also not ideal, I would need the wifi. At that point, I might as well not even cruise because I wouldn't get the full experience. The only thing I really want off of my phone on vacation is the camera to take photos. If I bring my phone around the ship, that's the only thing I'm using it for. 

I value my phone, probably too much. One thing I wouldn't do is try to jump overboard a ship to grab my phone. I read this article, and I laughed. https://www.cruisehive.com/passenger-tries-jump-overboard-small-cruise-ship-after-dropping-her-phone/20714

That's the worst decision! 

Our phones do take over our lives. I do everything from online banking, shopping, organising, everything. However to truly appreciate your vacation, you need to let go. I have no interest in paying bills or arranging appointments when away with my family. These things can certainly wait for my return home. 

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ Sometimes I question how beneficial it is to have everything so digitalized. If I lose my phone or access to service, I oftentimes feel at a loss. Like you said, I rely on my phone for day-to-day activities from accessing funds to managing my schedule. It's hard to live without my phone when I'm so reliant on it. It's like a detox when I spend time without it! Cruising is becoming so reliant on the use of apps and technological accessories like the Medallion. I often miss the old way of cruising.

I would hate to admit it but I can have a bit of an obsession with my phone, but it's so unintentional! I'm constantly checking it throughout the day just to make sure I don't miss anything. I'm also an obsessive email checker. It can make me spend more unnecessary time on my phone and be less present. The best thing I can do for myself and those around me is to leave it in a bag or away from me. I enjoy those around me more and those around me appreciate my full attention! It's so easy to get lost in it.

From sun exposure to cell phone use - I’m having a difficult time threading this needle.  Concerning cell phones on ships - mine normally stays in the safe, free Wi-Fi or not.  I’m really not that important to need a lifeline on my hip during vacation.  

• Thanks 1

@FJB I found the relationship between the two topics, radiation! Both cell phones and sun exposure do omit a great amount of radiation. I prefer sun exposure over cell phone radiation, but I get more phone exposure on a day-to-day basis. While I would be detoxing from my phone on a cruise, I would instead be soaking up those levels of radiation in the sun. At least the sun has other major benefits such as Vitamin D, but I could also argue cell phone usage offers even more benefits like access to constant communication and potential money-making opportunities. It's all in the eye of the beholder. 

• Haha 1