Cruise Hive Boards

Sun Exposure

In consideration of the harmful effects of direct sun exposure in regards to skin cancer and aging, why doesn't the cruise line invest in some sun blocking shades on the sun decks. On my recent cruise, there are hundreds of empty chairs directly in the sun while passengers squeeze in every available space that provides some shade, even invading the eating areas. The current generation of baby boomers and retirees recognize the harmful effects of direct sun and would appreciate more places to lay/participate on the decks without putting our health at risk.

• Like 3

@Bonnie Hutsell I completely agree with that idea! I prefer to be outdoors in shaded areas. You can only be in the sun for so long without feeling the burn. Sun decks were initially for sun tanning, but now people are more aware of the dangers of baking in the sun. It's a wasted space, I agree. People prefer to eat outdoors in the shaded spaces. If the tables are directly in the sun, they are likely not occupied. I wouldn't be surprised if cruise lines start redesigning those sun decks for better use. 

@FJB That's a really big bonus of cruising with Celebrity Cruises. I'm not sure many ships are still so outdated in this, but I really prefer a shaded lounger. I'm also not the type of person to get up at 6 a.m. and snag a pool lounger that I won't be using all day, schlepping my pool towel on it for no reason. It's nice to be on a ship where you can assume you will find a nice poolside spot most days. It's no fun having to fight off crowds or hoard chairs. On the other hand, my husband will happily get up at 5 a.m. to secure a shaded pool lounger. I guess it all depends on the type of person you are. 

Personally I'd look forward to going on excursions and trips than sitting down on the sun lounger all day. I can understand why some people like to chill and enjoy the laziness of the day after working hard all year, but I tend to get bored with that and have a good walkabout.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I'm right there with you! Ideally, I enjoy a peaceful morning, maybe the sunrise some coffee and exercise. In the afternoon I prefer the pool and more adventure, and once the evening rolls around I'm ready to have some drinks and enjoy some music! I wouldn't be able to do a nonstop party, but I'm also not ready for a slow-paced vacation by any means either. It's all about the balance.

@Bonnie Hutsell I agree about the sun decks. Guests barely use them anymore. They could be used for a better purpose. What do you think the space could be utilized for? Maybe a covered meditation garden with a tea shop and lounge would do well there!

@LukeJ I agree with that! If you feel stressed on vacation then it really shouldn't be considered a vacation! Vacation should be truly blissful. That is what cruising is to me. There are so many cruise line options and itinerary options I really don't think cruising will get stale in my lifetime. If I were to ever get board one of the line's amenities or itinerary options, then I would just book with another line and explore its options!

Costa Cruises is offering some cool incentives for golf lovers. Some Costa Cruises guests will have an opportunity to book an itinerary that takes them to the Ryder Cup 2023! I have a feeling that the cruise itinerary may be booked up. That would be so fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Relaxing in the morning with a good breakfast inside you looking at the views. Then a quick game of golf with the perfect weather and course. Join up with everyone for a few drinks and a catch up and then finish off for a good meal with the family before relaxing again. 

@LukeJ Have you cruised on a golf-focused cruise before? I have seen some amazing PerryGolf itineraries with Azamara. 

A golf-focused cruise could be amazing! There are some cruise ships that have converted upper-deck open-air spaces into miniature golf areas. It's such a perfect way to revamp a likely underused space. I like that you can play a game of mini golf on say RCL ship within an hour window and then move on to a shady zone after that. I can't imagine just being on those unshaded decks longer than that without getting in some water. 

@LukeJ A golf tournament in Spain sounds amazing! It really sounds like you are quite the golf player. Do you get out on the course pretty often? My husband has been going to the driving range about once a week in the morning before work. I would love to be able to treat him and a friend to a golf cruise experience like the Azamara one.

RCL is known for having some great mini-golf courses on upper decks. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-activities/mini-golf Although it's geared towards family and children, I think it's great fun for everyone! Golf is a game of skill for young and old, with or without an alcoholic beverage in hand. 

@LukeJ I don't mind a short game of golf, but I prefer tennis or riding in the golf cart! My husband could do it all day, but I wonder if it's the beers and buds that really hit home with him. Sunrise is the perfect time of day to golf, especially if the temps are warmer that day. Peak sun hours can be relentless! 

Mini golf is much better for my family since I have young children. Have you been to top golf? That is an awesome on-land golf spot for the family or a night out. 

I completely agree with you! I also prefer playing sports instead of watching them. What is your favorite sport to play? I love to run (I'm not sure if anyone considers that a sport), but when I cruise, I try to run at least once while onboard. Many cruise ships have tennis courts nowadays. I would love to play tennis onboard a ship, but I haven't done it yet. I always get distracted by the pool!

@LukeJ Those are all great games! Have you ever played any of those games onboard a cruise ship? I don't think I have spotted a pool table onboard any cruise ships I have been on before actually. I usually see lots of table tennis, and I do enjoy a little ping pong poolside action. I just discovered that Mardi Gras has pool tables in its SportsSquare complex. @euroguy will be able to test those out soon enough!

@LukeJ At least I'm not the only one! I always see tons of foosball but pool would be such a hit! Maybe it would be too much of a hit, and guests would complain about there never being a pool table available. Maintenance on pool tables may be tricky too considering many guests misuse the pool sticks and tables. Those foosball tables out by the pool are very durable. They get wet from poolside guests and kids thrash the handles around. Pool tables would need to be monitored more closely.