Drink packages

Hi, @Brenda haberman! Norwegian Cruise Line offers many different drink packages. Do you intend to purchase the drink package onboard an upcoming NCL cruise? 

Here are some beverage package options from NCL's website. https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

In other news, this is some recent happenings regarding NCL and alcohol consumption onboard. https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-causes-confusion-over-alcohol/101767

If the cruise line includes specialty coffees, bottled water and smoothies in addition to alcohol,  then it can quickly become worth it. A typical beer on board costs around $10 after the plus +. Beware, however,  NCL has a different dictionary defining "Free"

• Like 1

@Seaawgs Yes, the hidden fees can get you! I think it really depends on what you drink and how often you drink it. I'm usually a casual wine and coffee drinker so the beverage package isn't always worth it for me. It also depends on the occasion! If I was sailing for a bachelorette or a short weekend getaway I may reconsider that. Unlimited bottled water is one of the best offerings in the package to me. I don't drink soft drinks or liquor so that eliminates much of the perk for me. My husband won't cruise without a beverage package, but he consumes more of the options than I do. It really just depends on the person! 

@kefthecruiser My liver is not up for the challenge! I don't like to feel like I have to drink a certain amount to make up for the beverage package cost either. I do like that the gratuities are usually included in the package! It makes purchasing and budgeting drinks on board easier. 

You'd be looking to get drinking from the word go if you had the package, other than binge drinking in the evening and run the risk of not enjoying or remembering the night. And once you get port days, you'd be afraid to get off for the day in case there was no time to drink when you get back on.

Back in my younger days, the low-tier beverage packages were well worth it. I was able to have a wild time and get my money's worth, but now that's far from true. If you get the top-shelf drink package and really enjoy your adult beverages, it could be worth it. If you are more of a casual drinker, just pay per drink. I think most guests that get the beverage package don't actually drink enough to make it worth it. Beverage packages are a big money maker for cruise lines, and the overall package prices are on the rise. 

Yes whenever I go on a cruise, I never book the activities through the company. I always tend to book anything while we are in the destinations as it does work out a lot cheaper, and if booked with the company and change our minds, then is all a bit of a pain to sort out.

• Like 1

@LukeJ It's hard to deny that booking excursions and experiences through the cruise lines are more expensive. I always have this fear that I won't be able to make it back to the ship on time, and I wouldn't want to be one of the guests who runs down the pier trying to make it onboard. For that reason, I almost always book through the cruise line, especially when traveling in a large group. Traveling solo or to a destination I have been to before allows me to oftentimes be more adventurous, booking once I get off the ship. I admire your adventurous spirit! 

@Kendall James-Vargas yes I can see your point of view. Booking somewhere on your own, you will spend all your time looking at your watch the entire time, but thankfully, being late has never happened to us..  yet. I've seen videos lately of people calling back late to the ship. One woman casually walked back 45 mins late with no care in the world, and bizarrely the ship waited. And the others were late, with the ship moving out, and they were shouting abuse at the captain. 

@FJB Two beers a day sounds too restrictive! I wouldn't be happy with that outcome. Although beer isn't my drink of choice, limiting the amount of consumption of alcohol per day doesn't sound like a vacation to me. 

@LukeJ Thankfully you haven't had to be late! I wouldn't want to deal with all of that backend stuff either, such as flying back and getting unexpectedly stranded. I have noticed those news articles too! https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-passenger-criticized-after-casually-arriving-late-to-ship/106153 This is one of the recent happenings. 

I don't understand why someone would shout abuse at the captain! The captain isn't responsible for everyone's time management. It's important to take responsibility for your actions and not place blame on others!

Unfortunately we now live in a blame game world where they don't take responsibility for their actions and find it easier to blame other people for their mistakes. Personally I can't understand how they have the gall to decide to turn up late in the first place when they knew the departure time, I find it completely rude and no manners to be late anyway, and then have the audacity to blame someone else because they can't get their own way because of their ignorance.

@LukeJ That can be really frustrating as a person who is a rule follower. What bothers me the most about it all is the cruise culture and how the "cruise lovers" are perceived. I'm such an avid cruiser and there are many stigmas associated with "cruise culture." Many times people assume that cruise lovers are all-you-can-eat, all-you-can-drink buffet lovers.

I love exploring the world via cruising! I can't imagine a better way to travel. I don't want cruise guests and cruise ships to come off in a negative way to anyone! Locals in Istanbul, Turkey are getting bothered by cruise ships. That's just one example of how cruising can really get a bad rap. I hope cruise lovers can behave kindly and follow the rules, so other guests, like myself, don't get portrayed through a negative lens. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can see and admit we are guilty of perceiving the cruise passengers. A small selfish minority of people tars the reputation of others. They tend to spoil the vacation of everyone by just their attitude and the way they let their children do what they want, and disregard everyone else.