Cruise Hive Boards

Holland America Blast from the Past

This was our first time doing Dunns River Falls in Jamaica.  We had no idea what to expect.  We just jumped in a taxi and told the driver to give us a tour of the island.  As you can see, we were not really dressed appropriately.  No internet back then to do any research - fly by the seat of your pants adventures, which was probably more fun than today with the over planning we all do.  Notice my mother with her rain poncho and her purse underneath.  All we knew upon entering the park was that we would probably get wet.  My mother, being the girl scout she was, was prepared with her poncho in her purse.

Nieuw Amsterdamn 1989 38.jpg

One more post.  This is one of the daily newsletters from our cruise - the only one I saved apparently.  Notice the cocktail special on the second page - only $2.75 for a Banana Bonanza!  Unfortunately I was only 20 years old when on this cruise so I could not partake in the adult beverages.  

Jamaica Cruise News.jpg

Bar Hours.jpg

@FJB Wow, this is just the most epic blast from the past! I loved looking at all of these photos. Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful recollections that formed the foundation for your long-lasting love of cruising! Things have changed so much since then for the cruise industry, from watermelon carvings (that I miss dearly) to the balloon arches across the pool area. What an outstanding post that displays some of the best and greatest eras in cruising history! I'm very impressed by the way you were able to save these memories and get them on the computer so clearly. I agree with @LukeJ the film-like look just feels more real. No photoshopping allowed in these!

• Like 1

@LukeJ I tend to agree. I studied photography many years ago and learnt the old tradition of film, then develop the film and print individual in a bath of chemicals. It felt amazing and you could spend hours in the darkroom working on one photo, it just felt real. There is something different about film photography that digital will never replace.

@LukeJ I love these film images! I wish there was more of it. I have noticed that Polaroids have made a large comeback. It's truly an art form! Digital art is nice, but it just doesn't seem as authentic to me. I got the unlimited digital photo package and as practical as it is, I loved the freebie printed photo more. In fact, the print is nicely displayed on my fridge instead of in the cloud. 

• 7 months later...

@Balmy Jones I agree! It was so nice when cruise lines did such activities for its guests. Many of those specialty things have gone by the wayside. I wish I would see more carvings while cruising, including fruit carvings. It's a blast from the past now. I remember high tea hours too. I haven't seen one of those on an itinerary for quite from time. Those were great times. Have you attended a tea time onboard an itinerary before?