Cruise Hive Boards

Food onboard MSC cruises

LukeJ

I've been looking online for reviews from guests that have sailed with MSC cruises and tried to find any reviews on the food and the dining they have onboard. I've read quite a few on carnival cruises and even some stating good reviews on Disney. I was wondering if anyone has been on MSC lately and give me an insight in what to expect.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ I have been on MSC Cruises lots of times recently, including masked because I couldn't stay away from cruising. I have two more MSC Cruises booked up as well, so I'm an avid guest with this cruise line. The food and dining are unlike the traditional US options that would find on lines such as RCL and CCL. To be clear, I prefer the quality and the options better on MSC Cruises. I do not prefer the generic, Americanized options many of the US-based cruise lines offer on repeat. To begin the cruise line makes its mozzarella, croissants, and pasta onboard. Their pizza, pasta, and pastries are phenomenal, far better than a US-based cruise line. This is because it's European! Don't expect basic, fake-Italian pizza and toppings. You will get to experience high-quality pizzas and toppings that aren't overwhelmed with sauce. The pizza is so very amazing onboard. The options of yogurt and marmalades highlight the European culture onboard. I order pasta for dinner most nights as it is so genuinely fresh and authentic. The cheese selections are beyond delicious and unusual to the traditional American spread. In the MDR you will find more Italian food choices, that taste authentic. Don't skip out on the fruit and cheese platter as a dessert. Also, the bread baskets are the bomb. I hope this helps answer your question! 

• Like 1

@3Sisters it certainly does, thank you very much. I do prefer European foods to American if I'm honest, and love the fact that this is also made fresh onboard, I definitely was not expecting that, do that's an extra boost to the proceedings.  Fresh pizza is one of the best things you can try, and thanks to your review, I'm looking forward to booking a cruise with them.

• Like 1

@LukeJ Many of my American friends don't always say the most positive things about MSC Cruises' food offerings, but I feel in total opposition to that. If it isn't overly processed burgers and BBQ ribs 24/7 I think US guests think negatively of the line. MSC Cruises offers a huge selection from fresh whipped cream and berries for french toast to the most intense yogurt bar. The mozzarella is not so salty like the American way, but if you want it to be more salty then you just need to add salt which is readily available to use at your discretion. Also, MSC Cruises doesn't limit how many items you order in the MDR. I have heard so many different cruise lines limiting guests lately. The portions may be smaller than other lines but I prefer it this way so I can actually eat all of my courses. Also if I crave another portion, all I have to do is ask! The pizza is by far the best of any line I have cruised with. My favorite offering is the white pizza with bacon which flys off of the food line pretty quickly.

Thank you PaulB for asking this question and Thank you 3Sisters for your answers! I just read that the Seaside was planning to add an additional $5.00 charge for a second dinner. The article did say it was only on that ship, and it might just be a "test". Personally I hope not because I don't like that nickel and dime way of thinking.

• Like 1

@rindybar I agree with you on the surcharge. It doesn't sit well with people that after all the costs you have paid out already, an extra fee is disappointing and feels cheated out of you in some sense. My only guess is that they are trying to do so to prevent food waste maybe, stopping people go up for unnecessary seconds when they won't eat it, but on the other hand, guests have paid for that food when booking. I can't see it being for cost of food going up because to me that feels very sly as the cost of the cruise should reflect the uprising costs, and take that into consideration.

Hummm, that could be the reason to prevent the waste of food.  However some people do order 2 and 3 meals and finish all of them. My family eat large portions,  it's not that we are gluttons we work and play hard. This will be interesting to see how it plays out.  I'm wondering if they will apply the extra free to the YC dining room?

• Thanks 1

I've just read that some cruise lines are now considering charging for pizza onboard. It's always been free as part of all inclusive and the talk is this may change in the future. I personally find all this type of talk very soul destroying as things that were once free has slowly had charge on it lately. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ Well, enjoy the unlimited pizza onboard while you can! I just got off a cruise and I must admit I ate pizza almost every day onboard. I enjoy the unlimited access far more than I would like to admit. I would not be happy if there was a charge for one of my favorite items onboard. Keep me posted if this comes about.

@rindybar I can confirm that MSC Cruises is trying out this service in the MDR for the main courses only. I personally was not affected by this change, and I highly doubt that the YC guests would be charged this surplus. I think this additional $5 fee with remain to reduce the amount of double steak and lobster orders. Don't worry about your upcoming cruise! The portions were pretty large, and as a YC guest, you shouldn't face any issues. 

• Thanks 1

@rindybar The Yacht Club guests should get unlimited everything, excluding spa sessions and excursions obviously. You pay more than enough to get the full-on exclusive cruise experience. If you want two lobster tails, you should get two lobster tails at dinner. That's the entire purpose of YC and a personal butler service is included in the package!

• Like 1

@rindybar I wouldn't worry about the extra fees you could potentially incur. You should be just fine with all of the perks YC will provide you. Everything and anything you may need will be dealt with appropriately. As a YC guest, you are VIP! I believe you will feel the royal treatment and not have to deal with any unexpected fees along the way. Also, I hope you are able to spend some time unwinding in the spa onboard. MSC Meraviglia has a great spa!

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2023 at 4:58 PM, LukeJ said:

I've been looking online for reviews from guests that have sailed with MSC cruises and tried to find any reviews on the food and the dining they have onboard. I've read quite a few on carnival cruises and even some stating good reviews on Disney. I was wondering if anyone has been on MSC lately and give me an insight in what to expect.

I've read a lot of negative chatter online regarding MSC Cruises food. Even from my own experience on the MSC Virtuosa, the food was something that was not so impressive, except for Butcher Cut, which was amazing.

On 8/18/2023 at 8:54 AM, Cruising Caribbean said:

@rindybar I wouldn't worry about the extra fees you could potentially incur. You should be just fine with all of the perks YC will provide you. Everything and anything you may need will be dealt with appropriately. As a YC guest, you are VIP! I believe you will feel the royal treatment and not have to deal with any unexpected fees along the way. Also, I hope you are able to spend some time unwinding in the spa onboard. MSC Meraviglia has a great spa!

What type of food would anyone recommend on MSC cruises? I'd rather have a heads up and know what to go for rather than be disappointed in a particular dish when it gets served up.

@rindybar I personally have never had a spa treatment or a massage as such in my life. Many have told me to go for it, but never have 

• Like 1

@rindybar MSC Cruises has an epic spa. The Aurea package is by far one of the best packages the cruise line offers. I would imagine as a YC guest you can spend unlimited time in the thermal suites, and I think you will absolutely love it. The privacy and luxury of it all, down to the robes, is the highlight of a perfect cruise experience. 

@LukeJ I love the pasta onboard. I personally don't enjoy the seafood onboard much unless it's the fresh fish. The pizza is also great and the breakfast options are pretty limitless. I was super impressed by the loaded burgers, nachos, and cheese fries too. The cruise line certainly adjusted to the Americanized pallet. Go for the items that scream "Italian," that's really the cruise line's specialty.

You have to do a total spa experience and go for the all-inclusive thermal package. There is no such relaxation.

@LukeJ I love the eggplant parmesan appetizer. It's the best I have ever tried. The tiramisu is also very traditional and delicious. I think if you keep in mind that the cruise line isn't like other American-based lines, you will set yourself up with the right perspective. The service onboard is wonderful and the ambiance/entertainment won't disappoint. Did you choose to get the thermal package? Which ship will you be cruising on?

I am a huge meat eater, and look forward to seeing what ships have on board. However, I must admit, all the foods tend to be outstanding and the desserts to die for. The pasta dishes, even though I'd never have a pasta dish when im out in restaurants in the UK, I do give the pasta a try on the ships and they never disappoint.