Switching to tender ports

We recently took a cruise around Great Britain. While signing up for the cruise, only one stop was a tender. Once aboard we were told there would be 5 tender stops. We purposely chose this cruise because we would be docking. Predictably, the winds were bad and we missed 3 stops, including DUBLIN! This was the stop we based our entire trip around!

We were credited a minimal amount and were reimbursed for NCL booked excursions, but many people(including myself)  had booked private excursions in Dublin. Since the stops were not cancelled until the morning of, we were unable to get our money back. When we asked about getting free internet for the day(s), we were told no, that it happens all the time! This is a once in a lifetime trip for us! It doesn’t make us feel better that ‘it happens all the time’, as this was our one chance.

I guess my question is: How is it decided which boats dock and which tender? Why would it change after our confirmations had been sent?

I am fine with not tendering due to safety (although I tendered in Antarctica under much worse conditions). My problem is that we would not have booked the trip if it was advertised as having 5 tenders! 

What are the chances of getting recourse?

aeh

• Thanks 1

@Arh  Is this your cruise?

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-clarifies-large-number-of-tender-ports/105344

Hope that helps. NCL blames the change on the reservation system having the wrong information, for what it's worth.

"What are the chances of getting recourse?" Well, really close to ZERO, unless you purchase some type of travel insurance that covers missing cruise ports. All the cruise line typically reimburses are the missed port fees. The cruise line contract allows the cruise line great flexibility in changing the cruise, to the point, as in your experience, it is no longer the cruise you bought, without compensation to the customer. However, some cruise lines do take the extra step of compensation when things go wrong. The Ruby Princess is one example as is the recent Port Miami boating accident that closed the port to Carnival, MSC and NCL for half a day. I'd say in your case, NCL has done all they plan to do. Good Luck   

It is indeed the cruise I was on. Three ports were cancelled due to winds because we couldn’t safely tender in. As this was expressed on social media as a problem, I purposely choose this cruise because there was only 1 tender. Am I the only one who bought the cruise because the lack of tinder ports?

• Sad 1

Hello, our family was on the same cruise and were shocked when we found out there were 5 tenders instead of 1.  Having been to Dublin before, we were excited to show our kids around Dublin for the first time.  I share your same frustration and have sent my complaint to NCL and doubt they will do anything additional.  I really feel they pulled a bait and switch on us.  I think more should be done because they knew ahead of time and failed to inform us until the day of the cruise.  I did hear from another passenger that they got 25% back from the cost of this cruise to be used on a future cruise.  This was in addition to the 25% back everyone got.  I'd like to hear more from other passengers.  I already posted my story on Reddit.  I really feel they took advantage of us.

• Sad 2

Yeah I feel for you. As I've mentioned in other posts, this may just be the norm for these cruise lines and their crew members, but for paying guests, this is a once in an opportunity thing and to be blasé about this is down right frustrating. 

@Arh & @benjellos This is very frustrating! I think that is a blatant false advertisement. I understand that the weather isn't the cruise line's fault, but NCL should take on the responsibility of misinforming guests about tendering at the ports. It's possible that NCL falsely promised its guests, stating that there was only one tendered port so that it would be able to fill up the ship for this itinerary. Dublin is certainly a once in a lifetime for many. I haven't even been myself yet! Unfortunately, I don't think NCL will be doing any sort of reimbursement or FCC. It's a shame, but NCL isn't known for its generosity. 

@Arh I saw this! I would be so bothered by this. The cruise line should definitely reimburse you for not being transparent and upfront about this. Essentially, the cruise line didn't honor what it advertised. That's not fair.

@kefthecruiser & @benjellos Did you see this NCL article in the news? https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-advises-guests-of-strike-impact/106555

Guests have been advised about an air travel strike. This is a whole other mess for the NCL guests that are cruising on the Norwegian Breakaway.