Bad Water?

My husband and I occupied cabin 9076 aboard the Norwegian Dawn sailing from Southampton on May 24. A few days after the start of the cruise my husband turned on the tap in the bathroom; the faucet sputtered and brown water poured out. A short time later the sputtering stopped and the water turned clear. He went to speak with a customer service representative who looked at him in surprise and said that of course the tap water wasn’t safe to drink! She acted as though this was something obvious that everyone knows. I am astounded. I’ve always read that the tap water aboard cruising ships is perfectly safe to drink and is the same water served throughout the ship. I still think that’s the case, though I can’t account for the brown water (bottom of the tank?). If the water weren’t potable, it would certainly be labeled as such. As for the service representative, I’m dumbfounded that she would call the water unsafe. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I do feel for you. The last thing you would expect or want is unsafe water, it can make you think twice going forward. Secondly, what a fantastic customer service experience you just received. NCL are certainly and rightfully having plenty of criticism of late. I have no idea what they are currently doing but the won't be around for long I feel if they continue the way they have been. 

@SusanT I would agree that drinking tap water anywhere is not the best idea. In most land-based U.S. areas the water is pretty safe to drink right out of the faucets but you assume the risk that it could be contaminated. The safest option would be to drink bottled water or to utilize the water offered in the dining rooms onboard. From my understanding, the water served in the dining rooms is not the same as the water that comes from the sinks onboard. Maybe I am incorrect. It's always better to be safe and drink bottled water onboard and especially in other areas you travel to. Getting sick from contaminated water/food is pretty miserable.

• 4 weeks later...

When away, it's certainly better to drink bottles water. At least you know that it's safe. There should always be protocols in place to guarantee that the water onboard is safe, but you still never know. So be safe, and drink bottled until you get back home.

• Like 1

@LukeJ That's really the best choice! Bottled water will give you peace of mind, and you won't have to second guess whether the water is suitable enough for drinking. I have yet to drink out the water from the sinks onboard, however, I feel pretty comfortable with the water served in the dining areas throughout the ship. Obviously, I prefer to drink the bottled water offered in my drink package, but in the past, I have cruised without a drink package and I was safe drinking the regular water offered onboard.

@SusanT I'm glad the representative was transparent about this matter. I would absolutely avoid the sink water onboard after an experience like this one! 

@LukeJ Isn't it ironic that cruise lines don't properly filter their water onboard so that the line's can further push the onboard drink packages? I think it's so very anti-eco-friendly and non-sustainable that cruise lines do this. Using plastic bottled water is such a waste to the environment! Don't you think that is so contradictory?

@LukeJ It doesn't seem like a sustainable practice at all! I don't use bottled water in my home anymore and choose to use a filter with a reusable bottle instead. I would have no problem doing that onboard, but there really aren't enough water refill stations either. It's all really a big push for purchasing the drink package. If the cruise lines are still aiming to become more and more sustainable, water refill stations should be an absolute must! 

Maybe this is something that cruise guests can get together and push for. Enough voices and they may listen after all? I realise it is a business, and their sole purpose is to make money, however there is enough costs and surely this is a small token gesture by cruise lines can do.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I really like that idea. The question is, how would cruise lines benefit from this reusable bottle situation? The installation of the refill stations will cost the cruise lines money, and they will be missing out on bottled water purchase income. A strategy could be that the cruise line offers guests a refillable water bottle say at the price of $30 with unlimited refills onboard. It would help cover the cost of the fill stations and entice guests with a swag cup at a cheaper price than multiple bottled water purchases onboard. 

@LukeJ I like your idea of all speaking up on this topic! Bottled water can be convenient but it's not environmentally friendly. With all the claims and attempts cruise lines are making to become more eco-friendly, this should be one area that is enhanced. If cruise lines have done away with straws, why not steer clear of plastic bottles? Now I'm thinking about bottled alcohol. That may be a tricky one to get rid of. I doubt guests will go for draft-only beers. 

Bottled water is not only bad for the environment but it's also bad for you with the amount of toxins, mold and Coli that can be in the water. Glass is a better option that plastic as it's non toxic and free from harmful bacteria. On the negative side, it's easily breakable which isn't good around kids. So maybe someone can invent something.

@LukeJ Guests love a good deal and swag rewards. If the cruise lines could integrate this concept into its loyalty rewards program, it could be a true success! Think about this, cruise lines could honor their loyalty guests with a signature reusable water cup to use the refill stations onboard. To be honest, I anticipate this system, or a system like this, rolling out in the future.

Glass wouldn't be the best material considering all of the pools and poolside activity, but stainless steel could be a great option! I agree plastic isn't good to drink out of.

Years ago in the UK, there was an option where you could get money back if you returned your glass. So if you had a party and a lot of alcohol in bottles, simply take the empties back and you get money for it. I doubt that something like that would ever return but the incentive of getting something back is a interesting one to ponder.

Wow, I love the idea of being refunded for the glass recyclables you return. This strategy would likely not work for cruise ships because cruise guests aren't responsible for their own waste. It's actually hard to find places to recycle onboard, which is such a shame. There should be more recycling options onboard. Reducing plastic bottled waste is a must. I wonder what cruise lines will end up doing when the time comes to continue to cut down on this area of plastic waste. I have noticed stainless steel bottles at some of the private beaches and marine reserves. These have been included in the drink packages for some cruise lines off-ship but onboard the ship it's still a plastic-only option.

Yes I agree, an incentive to bring things back is a must. As well as the bottles, a lot of restaurants I used to visit charged you to take their plates away when ordering takeaways, and then gave you that money back once you returned the plates. I know it's likely to be common sense on part for the company responsible but it does make sure you return things to get your monies back.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ That's very interesting! I haven't heard of this system when you are charged for the plates and then reimbursed upon returning them. That's a pretty interesting concept. I don't think that would fly with many of the mainstream takeout places that thrive nearby. When I worked in the restaurant industry, there would actually be a high amount of petty theft from salt and pepper shakers to silverware and napkins. I did not understand the logic, but I guess there were many cleptomaniacs in this wealthy area. The silverware was nothing close to lovely, but instilling a system like the one you mention would potentially have helped with the theft. I can't imagine being billed for silverware and then having the waitstaff count it before the guest left, but I do see how it could be effective.

On 7/27/2023 at 2:34 PM, 3Sisters said:

Wow, I love the idea of being refunded for the glass recyclables you return. This strategy would likely not work for cruise ships because cruise guests aren't responsible for their own waste. It's actually hard to find places to recycle onboard, which is such a shame. There should be more recycling options onboard. Reducing plastic bottled waste is a must. I wonder what cruise lines will end up doing when the time comes to continue to cut down on this area of plastic waste. I have noticed stainless steel bottles at some of the private beaches and marine reserves. These have been included in the drink packages for some cruise lines off-ship but onboard the ship it's still a plastic-only option.

My last cruise aboard Celebrity Millennium had water served in aluminum cans - part of the drink package. 

• Thanks 1

@FJB that's an interesting take. I know that they have begun having juices in cans and that was good for recycling too. Each product, be it can, glass or plastic is not entirely good for the environment or the ocean if any would be thrown into it, it's still our responsibility to recycle. Maybe a cardboard packaging would be more suitable like they do with juice. If it gets thrown rather than recycled, at least it can decompose into the ground in time.

@FJB@PaulB I agree with your posts and can see the need for change on both accounts, however the long term care is a difficult one to comprehend. Glass is probably the best way but costs more maybe but recycling would be difficult. Plastic is the obvious choice however very bad for the environment and cardboard I like the idea of, but fear the water won't be as fresh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@LukeJ Glass seems the most risque for a cruise ship. It breaks easily, it's a mess to clean up, and extremely dangerous in the waterpark/pool areas. Cardboard is a nice option but the least durable. I'm not really sure there is a better solution, other than stainless steel. It could be a bring-your-own-cup situation for at least the water/soda drinking! If there is a monetary incentive, guests would be all about it. It keeps your drink colder for longer anyhow.