Cruise Hive Boards

New Cruise Trends

• 5 months later...
On 2/28/2023 at 2:53 PM, 3Sisters said:

How do you feel about some of these new "cruise trends?" The fact that the overall cost of cruising is increasing is one thing, but the fact that cruise ships just keep expanding in size is another. I don't particularly enjoy the mega-ship mentality. Does anyone feel the same way? 

https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-trends/95270

I feel the same as you.   The largest ship I’ve been on so far is the Regal Princess at about 3500 passenger capacity.  I don’t have a big desire to do the RCCL mega ships.   We were on the Azamara Journey 3 years ago with a capacity of about 700 passengers- I was happy with this.  I don’t need roller coasters and water slides on my cruise ship to make an enjoyable vacation.   A good Old Fashioned will do the trick!  

• Like 1

@FJB Regal Princess is a large ship but definitely not one of the largest to date. What is with all the mega-ship hype? Is it the bigger the better mentality? If so, it's not for me. I like the large amenities, those are cool, but I don't like the crowds and unnecessary lines. I will take a smaller ship for some peace and quiet without having to feel like the guest-to-crew ratio is severely diluted. I totally second the need for a good drink and good company; it is all you need! The crew is so much happier and less rushed when the guest count is lower. You can actually get to know the staff on smaller ships versus the mega ships where the crew is non-stop hustle and bustle. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

@FJB Regal Princess is a large ship but definitely not one of the largest to date. What is with all the mega-ship hype? Is it the bigger the better mentality? If so, it's not for me. I like the large amenities, those are cool, but I don't like the crowds and unnecessary lines. I will take a smaller ship for some peace and quiet without having to feel like the guest-to-crew ratio is severely diluted. I totally second the need for a good drink and good company; it is all you need! The crew is so much happier and less rushed when the guest count is lower. You can actually get to know the staff on smaller ships versus the mega ships where the crew is non-stop hustle and bustle. 

Agreed. There were a couple of crew members on Azamara that we got to know because of the laid back atmosphere. Don’t recall that happening on the Regal. 

@FJB I'm glad you agree. I have wanted to try cruising with Azamara, but instead of saving up for several years, I always just book a basic cruise line so I can cruise more often! I can't see myself not cruising for a year's time. Even during the pandemic, I was so eager to get back to cruising. When cruising with a group, the larger ships could be appealing, but it's just not my thing. A not-so-packed jazz bar with some live music is definitely more my thing.

Edited by Cruising Caribbean

5 hours ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

@FJB I'm glad you agree. I have wanted to try cruising with Azamara, but instead of saving up for several years, I always just book a basic cruise line so I can cruise more often! I can't see myself not cruising for a year's time. Even during the pandemic, I was so eager to get back to cruising. When cruising with a group, the larger ships could be appealing, but it's just not my thing. A not-so-packed jazz bar with some live music is definitely more my thing.

I’m right there with ya! 

I too like the smaller ships - I like the Fantasy class ships of Carnival, roughly 2,000 guests.

My wife and I are trying a Windstar next year for our anniversary, 310 passengers & we get to go to some smaller ports in the Caribbean.  Looking forward to Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke

@SpaceCowboy9 So many people avoid the Fantasy-class ships because they are some of the oldest in the fleet, but I totally agree with you! The CCL experience is still going strong on its Fantasy-class ships, and you get the smaller ship feel. Not to mention, the prices for these ships are always more reasonable than the Excel and Venice classes. Windstar would be a beautifully intimate cruise, perfect for an anniversary! How many years will you be celebrating? Have you cruised with Windstar before? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@SpaceCowboy9 You are going to love cruising with Windstar! I have heard great things about this luxury line, and you will also have access to Starlink onboard if you care for it. This is a great way to celebrate #30, onboard a smaller, more intimate ship! How long is your cruise itinerary? Will you be visiting any new destinations?

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 3:02 PM, SpaceCowboy9 said:

@3Sisters never cruised Windstar before & we'll be celebrating #30.  Ready to go tomorrow, but have to wait until spring!

30 what? Days being sober? Years of marriage? Cruises taken? Dollars earned?  So many possibilities to celebrate…

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

@FJB I'm gonna take a shot at this and guess @SpaceCowboy9 is referring to a 30th anniversary! Your list of options really does seem endless. I'm curious, how many cruises have you been on? Your ship and industry knowledge is pretty impressive. 

People get too serious sometimes so I like to throw in some humor, but not everyone gets me. 

I’ve been on about…..are you ready for it…..30 cruises.  And my 30th wedding anniversary was last year.  So many 30s to celebrate!  

oh yeah - it’s about 30*C on my front porch at the moment. 

Edited by FJB
  • Haha 2

@FJB Well, 30 really is your lucky number! It's quite ironic that this number is so present in your life today. You really are a seasoned cruiser! I think you are overdue for some #30 celebrations. What is your dream itinerary? What has been your favorite thus far? Give me all the details. Lately, I cruise affordably, but I'm willing to save up for a once-in-a-lifetime cruise experience. 

@FJB Well, 30 really is your lucky number! It's quite ironic that this number is so present in your life today. You really are a seasoned cruiser! I think you are overdue for some #30 celebrations. What is your dream itinerary? What has been your favorite thus far? Give me all the details. Lately, I cruise affordably, but I'm willing to save up for a once-in-a-lifetime cruise experience. 

I guess a dream itinerary would be a true around the world cruise. 

We have a couple of favorites-

an 11 day Alaska cruise tour with Princess. pics - https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAxfJu

3 week Fiji/Australia/New Zealand land & cruise on Celebrity. Pics - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmbudr23

2 week transatlantic cruise with Celebrity. Pics - https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAxmwg

11 day Med cruise with Celebrity. Pics - https://flic.kr/s/aHsjCdSru9

If I had to pic a favorite out of those 4, it would probably be the Fiji/Australia/New Zealand trip. 

@FJB You are the best! Thanks so much for linking those clips for me. Nothing compares to getting some great visuals of your travel experience! The Fiji/Australia/New Zealand land & cruise would be a top choice for me. Three weeks is a big time investment for a working person like myself. Are there itineraries that visit these dream destinations that don't last as long? Did you buy your airfare through the cruise line or separately?

@FJB You are the best! Thanks so much for linking those clips for me. Nothing compares to getting some great visuals of your travel experience! The Fiji/Australia/New Zealand land & cruise would be a top choice for me. Three weeks is a big time investment for a working person like myself. Are there itineraries that visit these dream destinations that don't last as long? Did you buy your airfare through the cruise line or separately?

We booked everything separately with the help of a travel agent.  Owning 2 businesses, it took a lot of planning for us to get away this long.  Luckily my daughter, who was only 17 at the time, is smart and responsible so was able to hold the fort down and do the payroll in order to keep the employees happy!  We stayed in Fiji overnight at a nice resort- a great way to break up the long flight from LA to Sydney. In Sydney, we stayed 3 nights pre-cruise so we could explore the area. After a 2 week cruise from Sydney to Auckland, we rented a car for 3 or 4 days and explored New Zealand.  It was a great mix of cruise and land traveling, but a lot of moving parts - the 1st time we ever bought travel insurance. 

• Like 1

@FJB I see your daughter is a big help to facilitating some much-needed time off! This vacation must have taken tons of planning for forethought. I'm so glad you opted to get travel insurance for that one. After spending, I'm sure, plenty of money on this epic adventure, solidifying the "what ifs" by purchasing travel insurance was certainly wise! 

• Like 1

@3Sisters The Windstar is a 7-night out of St Maarten - looking forward to checking out some ports we've never been to: Antigua, Anguilla, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, Tortola, St Barts -- (in fact, we have never been to any of them except for St Maarten)

@FJB It's 30 years of marriage -- actually 29 years and 10 months, the itinerary we wanted was not offered on "the date"  &  fun pictures - thanks for sharing

@Cruising Caribbean We have been on 13 cruises

• Like 1

@SpaceCowboy9 I absolutely love Antigua! The beaches are out of this world. We took a taxi to a private little beach tucked away about 15 minutes from the port (I forgot the name of the beach unfortunately), but it was by far the most tranquil beach spot with the most beautiful water. Here are some good recommendations while visiting Antigua. https://www.cruisehive.com/things-to-do-in-antigua-for-cruise-visitors/27454

This is a really romantic itinerary! I love that this itinerary stops at more than 4 ports of call. That seems rare for typical 7-night itineraries. I hope you find a few beaches with cabana service. My guess is you will be spending much of your time at the beach! 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I think everyone who enjoys Caribbean ports should consider stopping in Antigua. I have yet to visit Dickinson Bay, but if you get there first let me know how it is. If it compares to any other beach I have been to in Antigua, it has to be spectacular. The only thing that isn't spectacular to me about the area is the food. If you are looking for a culinary experience, I recommend heading to Europe. That's hopefully my next cruise adventure. I booked World Europa on my next cruise for 2025. This would be my first time visiting Europe! I'm so excited about the food options and all of the unique ports of call. I really hope we can save enough to make it all come to fruition! 

• 5 months later...

My biggest cruise trend gripe is the end of "All Inclusive" sailing. How many cruise lines now charge for room service, lobster tails at dinner, specialty dining, cappuccinos, etc.. These things used to be free!

• Thanks 1

@TV Don There are still some truly all-inclusive options! The costs for those can be very steep, which is why I haven't cruised on an experience like that before. I do miss the days where all services were included, but I also see the benefit to pay-as-you-go cruising. In order to afford cruising for my family, I rely on the bare minimum services. We love the included activities, entertainment, and food options, and thankfully it's still an epic vacation for me and my family. I do find lobster included on most sailings on the elegant nights in the MDR. Are they delicious? They really are pretty basic (not great quality) and not worthwhile, but if you love lobster, it's worth a try! I would rather go for the fillet.