Cruise Hive Boards

Residential Ships

I would absolutely love to retire on a cruise ship! Has anyone done/looked into this before? Do you have any savings tips or tricks to get to that point? Two former Holland America Line cruise ships are turning into residential ships. It looks like the lowest price per cabin for two guests in an interior stateroom is about $8k per month. That seems a bit steep considering I could cruise on other cruise lines weekly for about the same rate. Does this sound like a good monthly rate for a residential cruise?

I wouldn't have even thought about retiring on a cruise ship but that does sound a dream idea. The price does sound fairly steep but when you consider what's involved and even care homes in UK can cost thousands per month, so in comparison if you can afford it, then that's a great plan. 

If the cost is right, retiring on a cruise ship could be a fun way to enjoy life without being bound to work or the need to be tied down to one space or even the need to pay for rent on land! I definitely think 8k per month is a bit steep, but it could be a fun experience for just a month or two. Don't forget food and entertainment is all included onboard. I would hope laundry is provided for this experience. After spending more than a week somewhere, you likely will need to do a couple of loads of laundry. 

• 3 months later...

I think we found a less expensive, all inclusive residence cruise..

there are inside cabins as low as $4,799 per month and that is for a cabin for two. A balcony cabin for two people is $7,199 per month and agin that if for both people sharing the cabin, all inclusive. For us this is the perfect way to see the world at a reasonable cost.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@Barbara Violetta Have you resided on a cruise ship before? I'm curious to hear about your experience. 

I do love cruising and have been on ma B2B cruises, the hardest for me is always the packing & unpacking & the older I get the more I hate to fly anywhere very far. Last year I did 2 transatlantic cruise to avoid the flights across the pond.

I hope to start a blog or YouTube channel to share our adventures with family & friends…

I've just been reading a story about a couple who have bought a fancy apartment on a MV Narrative cruise ship for $2.4m. The apartment does look stunning to be fair, and I know that they can get to travel the world while permanently residing there, have access to medical facilities, gym and private kitchens but wow what a price. But then again, if you have the funds, why not.

On 2/17/2023 at 3:06 PM, 3Sisters said:

I would absolutely love to retire on a cruise ship! Has anyone done/looked into this before? Do you have any savings tips or tricks to get to that point? Two former Holland America Line cruise ships are turning into residential ships. It looks like the lowest price per cabin for two guests in an interior stateroom is about $8k per month. That seems a bit steep considering I could cruise on other cruise lines weekly for about the same rate. Does this sound like a good monthly rate for a residential cruise?

On 6/19/2023 at 7:39 AM, PaulB said:

I've just been reading a story about a couple who have bought a fancy apartment on a MV Narrative cruise ship for $2.4m. The apartment does look stunning to be fair, and I know that they can get to travel the world while permanently residing there, have access to medical facilities, gym and private kitchens but wow what a price. But then again, if you have the funds, why not.

I guess it depends how you look at it and how long a period you decide for.

For us what really helped us decide was not only the passion to see the world without long international flights but most importantly the multiple days in each port and country. The topical few hours in a port on traditional cruises is often not enough & I’m getting tired of going back to the same ports again & again! I’ve Veen on approx 70 cruises worldwide. I also love the idea of unpacking once, having someone cook & clean, do my laundry & simply get spoiled.

Cost wise, we chose the longest period (37+ months) which gives us a 40% discount making the room price very bearable. 

• Like 1

@Barbara Violetta This is such a great way to travel! Onboard your residential ship all of the cooking, cleaning, and laundry is taken care of? If so, you can certainly factor in these costs into the potentially steep price of renting onboard. That is a pretty long commitment, 37+ months of living onboard a cruise ship. How does this sort of lifestyle work with having to fly to a certain destination for any particular reason, for example attending a special wedding? Are you allowed to have visitors come onboard to visit you, and if so what are the protocols for visitors?  

• 4 months later...

@Victoria It's interesting that you shared this because I was under the same impression! I would be cautious to book any sort of residential living space that wasn't through the direct cruise website either. Be very cautious to avoid any scammers, including odd-looking travel agencies. You don't want to run into any snags with long-term housing!