Parents Need to Supervise Children Onboard

Parents of children, regardless the age, who are running up and down cabin hallways should be put off at the next port, along with the kids. Nothing is more irritating than trying to sleep at night but you can't because parents don't supervise their kids. The kids are allowed to yell and run up and down the hallways. Why?

@Melanie Collins As a parent myself, I have mixed feelings about this. I truly agree that parents need to monitor their children. If you stateroom is near the stairwell, however, you will likely hear guests passing by at all hours of the day/night. This is very common for staterooms located near the stairwells/elevators. It's a bit extreme to have someone put off at a port for making extensive noise. 

In terms of loud activity in hallways, I agree that parents should be more considerate of others. It's very inconsiderate for anyone to be too noisy in the late evening hours near the cabins. I personally would not allow my children to run back and forth in the hallways, disrupting others. I think many parents that bring their children along have a more relaxed version of parents while on vacation, but that's not an excuse to disturb others. I live by the motto, "do to others what you would want them to do to you." If you wouldn't want someone disrupting you while you are resting, then you shouldn't do it to others. I guess it's wishful thinking to assume everyone would feel the same way.

On 2/4/2023 at 12:49 PM, Melanie Collins said:

Parents of children, regardless the age, who are running up and down cabin hallways should be put off at the next port, along with the kids. Nothing is more irritating than trying to sleep at night but you can't because parents don't supervise their kids. The kids are allowed to yell and run up and down the hallways. Why?

Oh I so agree trying to rest and someone bashes on the door in the afternoon and nobody is there at night it was like a heard of elephants till at least twelve midnight 

• Like 1

This is a known issue, so much so that Carnival instituted a new curfew policy, unless they changed back.

Of course that does nothing during the day and the curfew, in my opinion, still allows the kids out too late. I guess it's disappointing but shouldn't be a surprise that what is happening in the greater society makes it onto the ships. 

• Like 1

We experienced this on a Carnival cruise over Thanksgiving last year. The problem was that the "kids" were all teenagers and they were booked in a cabin alone while the parent's cabin was down the passageway a good distance. They were banging on the walls at all hours of the night and parents would come retrieve them for breakfast in the morning! Never ever take a cruise on the Conquest over Thanksgiving holiday!

• Like 1

@Jillian That has to be very frustrating while you are trying to rest! I sometimes wish the staterooms were a bit more soundproof, but I have found the hallway noise as a likely possibility every time I cruise. To be honest, I have experienced the same noise levels in hotel rooms. There are always rowdy guests on vacation. Usually, they are so loud everywhere onboard, and they are easy to spot.

@KeithG That's a great point! Carnival Cruise Line is trying to get a handle on the issue by instilling a curfew. I think 1am is a very reasonable curfew time. Also, by this time of night  (actually morning) all children are likely ready for some sleep! I also think much of time the older children have more freedom and liberty onboard than usual. I recall my parents giving me a walkie-talkie to communicate with them, which would have never occurred on land. I was not, however, allowed to do many things and my curfew was certainly earlier that 1am!

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-implements-onboard-curfew-fleetwide/80363

@Jim Lamb I disagree with giving your children their own stateroom due to safety reasons. I think at least a joining room would be necessary. I agree that most of the "children" causing much of the disturbance are teens. Teens with a little extra freedom can get rowdy pretty quickly. Showing respect to others is truly what needs to be addressed. There are plenty of outdoor spaces where guests can go and be loud. The stateroom hallway is just not one of those spaces.