Mrs

I just returned from my vacation on the Norweigan Getaway. They removed our stop at Puerto Plata and did not give any explanation for the removal of the port. They substituted a sea day and didn't have the courtesy to tell the passengers anything. Not cool

@Mil That is such a bummer! I'm sure you weren't the only upset guest. Puerto Plata is a nice port of call too! I'm very surprised they didn't offer a substitute or an alternative stop. Other than this event, how was your experience on Norwegian Gateway? 

Another cancellation occurred for Norwegian Gateway around this time last year!

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-cancels-cruise-last-minute-due-to-covid-related-circumstances/63189

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

3 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@FJB I completely agree. There are always unfortunate factors that come up, but I don't think it's fair to guests for this to become a normal occurrence. Many cruise guests book a cruise based on a particular itinerary. 

Totally agree.  I read something about it being that NCL is trying to reduce their carbon footprint by canceling this port.   We are set to depart on this cruise on the Getaway on Feb 6 and received an email today from our travel agent saying Puerto Plata was cancelled.  Yet we never received an email from NCL directly!  Not cool.  

• Sad 2

On 1/26/2023 at 12:54 PM, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@Mil That is such a bummer! I'm sure you weren't the only upset guest. Puerto Plata is a nice port of call too! I'm very surprised they didn't offer a substitute or an alternative stop. Other than this event, how was your experience on Norwegian Gateway? 

I'm assuming this was not your sailing, but Norwegian Gateway ended up having to cancel a cruise this month. What a shame! 

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-cancels-cruise-last-minute-due-to-covid-related-circumstances/63189

The link shared here relates to a sailing for January 2022 and not January 2023.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Helene said:

The link shared here relates to a sailing for January 2022 and not January 2023.  

By the way, we sailed the NCL Escape in mid December and did stop at Puerto Plata.   A Cruisehive article I just read mistakenly reported that NCL Escape would not be stopping there in the month of December.  It did.   

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2023 at 12:26 AM, Helene said:

Totally agree.  I read something about it being that NCL is trying to reduce their carbon footprint by canceling this port.   We are set to depart on this cruise on the Getaway on Feb 6 and received an email today from our travel agent saying Puerto Plata was cancelled.  Yet we never received an email from NCL directly!  Not cool.  

Wokeness and environment saving is not fun for half of the country. The other half gobbles it up like it is gluten free pasta. 

• Haha 1

@Helene I'm saddened to hear you were not contacted by Norwegian Cruise Line directly. I wonder why the travel advisor had access to this information, but you didn't. I think the cruise line should be more transparent with its guests once they had made the changes. They are entrusting the cruise line to deliver an unforgettable experience! 

Thanks for spotting that correction! I overlooked the new year. I have corrected the error. 

@FJB You certainly know how to make some good jokes! Speaking of gluten free, Carnival Cruise Line does an exceptional job at accommodating to special dietary needs. I recommend looking into cruising onboard Carnival Panorama if you are gluten-free! 

@LukeJ I agree that many companies lack customer service, especially in the United States. This lacking can partially be attributed to a staffing shortage. The cruise industry had to make so many cutbacks over the last few years, and then had to rehire in such a short amount of time. Many lines, such as Holland America Line and Norwegian Cruise Line, have also increased service charges to recoup the major losses they received. 

I know that over the last few years the cruise industry has had so many different shifts in employment, from drastic firing to rushesd re-hiring. Cancellations occurred left and right and the lines were inundated with distributing cruise vouchers and credits to make up for the unexpected changes.

I was thoroughly impressed by MSC Cruises. MSC Cruises made plenty of compensations and accommodations during this time period, and continued to provide exceptional customer service even though they were short staffed. Yes, the wait times on the phones were longer. The cruise line always gave a response and an explanation, even if it understandably took longer than average. If you are struggling to find good customer service, I recommend looking into this cruise line.