Cruise Hive Boards

The perfect cruise

@PaulB I'm not sure if there is a "best itinerary" scenario. There are so many itinerary options today; it truly depends on what's on the bucket list! The duration is also a factor. How long would you like to cruise for? Some cruise line's offer a world cruise experience. That's a dream to me, but I don't think I could afford that for quite some time. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/two-msc-ships-embark-on-simultaneous-world-cruises/91836 MSC Cruises just departed on some World Cruises actually! 

@FJB That does sounds like a wonderful cruise!

@PaulB I would say the perfect destinations would be where I haven't explored before. I truly want to book an Alaskan cruise! Since I usually cruise to the Caribbean, this would be a whole new experience for me. Possibly an itinerary like these Holland America Line options. https://www.cruisehive.com/holland-america-reveals-longer-alaska-2024-itineraries/91769 I would love ample time to explore the ports of call as well.

Edited by 3Sisters

7 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@FJB That does sounds like a wonderful cruise!

@PaulB I would say the perfect destinations would be where I haven't explored before. I truly want to book an Alaskan cruise! Since I usually cruise to the Caribbean, this would be a whole new experience for me. Possibly an itinerary like these Holland America Line options. https://www.cruisehive.com/holland-america-reveals-longer-alaska-2024-itineraries/91769 I would love ample time to explore the ports of call as well.

If you do Alaska, do a 3 or 4 day pre or post land option. Incredible!

@FJB I'm intrigued. Please share more about this. Does this sort of cruise structure allow for you to stay in hotels at some point? Do you stay on the ship for the entire duration? When you went there, which cruise line did you choose? 

@PaulB I think the ocean and beach go hand in hand, making for a wonderful cruise experience. After cruising the Caribbean several times, I would love a change of scenery. Although the hot climates and beautiful beaches never get old, I would absolutely love to experience something completely different.

6 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@FJB I'm intrigued. Please share more about this. Does this sort of cruise structure allow for you to stay in hotels at some point? Do you stay on the ship for the entire duration? When you went there, which cruise line did you choose? 

@PaulB I think the ocean and beach go hand in hand, making for a wonderful cruise experience. After cruising the Caribbean several times, I would love a change of scenery. Although the hot climates and beautiful beaches never get old, I would absolutely love to experience something completely different.

We used Princess for everything when we went to Alaska. Flew into Fairbanks and stayed at a Princess owned hotel 2 nights. Did one tour in Fairbanks organized by Princess and the remaining touring was on our own. From Fairbanks, Princess bussed us to Denali National Park where we stayed in a Princess lodge for 2 nights doing one tour organized by Princess. From there, we got on a Princess train and rode to Whittier where we got on the Coral Princess for a 7 day cruise ending in Vancouver.  Highly recommended! 

6 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@FJB That's good to know. I guess it's an exclusive hotel! Does the hotel staff match the same as the cruise staff, sort of contract based? Or are most of the employees at the Princess hotels native to the local area? 

Native to the local area

@FJB It sounds like a whole other structure than what the ships provide. Thanks for sharing your experience!

@LukeJ I'm thinking the same thing. I love when I can book something all at once, such as booking an all inclusive style experience. Although lately I know there have been some issues with booking flights through cruise lines, particularly with NCL. 

• 5 months later...
19 hours ago, PaulB said:

@Barbara Violetta oh wow. Congratulations. The mantra most people say is once you have been on a cruise once, you will always want to go on a cruise. I hope you have a fantastic time, and let us know how you go on.

Yep, I’ve been on over 50 cruises & do love to cruise! Staying onboard and nor packing & unpacking is so appealing. 
I’m mega excited to see the world from my little residence on the ship, with the rest of the ship as my living room & ever changing scenery!

• Like 1

I'm rather envious of all y'all planning on world cruising. The longest cruise I've taken are several different 2 week cruises. All were enjoyable, but after two weeks I was ready for home. Doubtful i would enjoy anything much longer. But we all are different, which makes life so much more interesting. Sometimes, for me, the perfect cruise is just a short cruise from Tampa  to Cozumel (round trip) to get away from my normal routine.  

• Like 1

@Barbara Violetta That's so impressive you have been on over 50 cruises! That is certainly a goal of mine, but you have certainly cruised more than most! How long do you typically spend on your residence ship? Do you room share with other cruise guests to cut costs? 

@kefthecruiser I don't have the flexibility to do much longer than one week, but I'm sure it's a serious adjustment to cruise the world and live in such a small space. I guess it would be the preferred minimalist lifestyle! But the cruising lifestyle isn't a cheap one!

20 hours ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

@Barbara Violetta That's so impressive you have been on over 50 cruises! That is certainly a goal of mine, but you have certainly cruised more than most! How long do you typically spend on your residence ship? Do you room share with other cruise guests to cut costs? 

@kefthecruiser I don't have the flexibility to do much longer than one week, but I'm sure it's a serious adjustment to cruise the world and live in such a small space. I guess it would be the preferred minimalist lifestyle! But the cruising lifestyle isn't a cheap one!

Actually, I just updated my list of past cruises and I’m closer to 70, yes I do enjoy cruising & have done that for many years. I started cruising when my daughter was 7, she’s now 28, I was able to show her about 50 countries of this beautiful planet we are on. We cruised about twice a year. Now that I’m retired I cruise a lot more than that. Yes it’s my passion & my happy place!

The residence ship we chose is quite flexible. The ship also has a great thing that if we are off the ship for an extended period of time we only pay 30% of our rental costs. The monthly rental & not needing to buy a room or pay sooo much up front was also the big selling point for us.

As to the small space, we the residents are already discussing ways to take advantage of our cabin space and sharing tips & tricks. I guess the best way to think of it our cabin is our bedroom & the place we sleep, store & shower. The rest of the ship is our living space & with tons of like minded people! The best is that we move around and see the world and experience so much first hand…life is there to be lived & I’m fully living my motto of “living the dream around the world”!

• Thanks 1